Research firm expects first annual iPhone sales drop, in growing global market

Posted:
in iPhone
New market research data suggests a five percent expansion of worldwide smartphone shipments in 2016, but analysts still expect Apple to post its first full calendar year with declining sales of the iPhone since the 2007 launch of the device.

Canalys believes that Apple's peak iPhone sale volumes are in the past, with a response to the iPhone 6s in international markets like China that the firm calls "lackluster." The analyst firm claims that wireless charging and waterproofing are examples of improvements Apple needs to make in order to compete with other vendors in expanding markets like China, the Philippines, and India.

However, the Western Europe and North American markets are expected to return to growth in the second half of 2016, buoyed by a new iPhone launch.

The data is similar to that of a report from the end of July, with a competing analyst firm seeing declines in both marketshare and shipment quantities to China markets. Apple is said to be losing ground to China-native Oppo and Vivo.

In the latest set of Apple quarterly results, revenue from Greater China came in at $8.85 billion, a decrease of 33 percent from the same quarter last year. Revenue decreased both from the decrease in sales in the quarter, as well as the depreciation of the Chinese yuan against the dollar.

"In the first three quarters of this fiscal year, our total revenue from Greater China was almost $40 billion," Apple CEO Tim Cook said during the quarterly earnings call, regarding the Chinese marketplace. Cook noted that revenue was "up 55 percent from the same time frame just two years ago, while iPhone units were up 47 percent."

In the end of 2015, Apple was thought to capture 92 percent of the world's smartphone profits, with only 14.5 percent of the total sales. In the same report, Samsung claimed around 14 percent of global profits, and greatly exceeded Apple's sales numbers. The remaining vendors posted a loss or only eked out a small profit.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Four identical crossposts in different threads. Wow, you really are a disgruntled former Apple fan/dealer aren't you. Are you copying and pasting this crap all over the Internet? Glad to get it off your chest? Feel better? Think Apple owes you something?
    fastasleepsuddenly newtonkevin keelondoranton zuykovlolliverlatifbpredgeminipa
  • Reply 2 of 9
    MelS said:
    I can confirm Apple is not the cutting edge, great company it once was and it mistreats its independent dealers too. Hewlett-Packard for half a year or more has had laptops with Xeon processors, generation six i7 processors, thunderbolt version 3 ports and even touchscreen options while Apple MacBook Pros are still using generation four i7 processors, no Xeon processors, Thunderbolt version 2 and no touchscreen options. I was an independent Apple dealer for 22 years and have watched the demise of Apple since Jobs passed away. Jobs would never had let HP or any PC company come out with a better, faster computer before Apple. Jobs also would not have let Apple cancel a 22 year dealer contract when I contracted Leukemia and was unable to work full-time causing me to miss an arbitrarily set sales quote by 20%. Apple has fallen behind technically by only updating their Macs and operating system (minor upgrades at that) once per year (if that often) and are so focused on their retail Apple stores they have let the business market, which is mostly handled by independent dealers, slip away due to pencil pushing Apple Chanel Sales management and AppleCare service management personnel that put profit numbers ahead of the service provided by long-time locally owned stores focused on business market share. And even if they want to bend the rules, the middle managers are so afraid of getting in trouble they won't stray from the rigid rules set by their lawyers. Tim Cook does not get this as he is just a pencil pusher himself. Business customers like mine dread going to Apple stores and having to wait for hours to get to see a "genius." Apple is messed up and I do not see much hope for Tim Cook fixing it.
    You just sound like a sore loser. You missed your target by 20% and lost the business. Deal with it. 
    fastasleepkevin keelondorlolliverlatifbpredgeminipa
  • Reply 3 of 9
    MelS said:
    I can confirm Apple is not the cutting edge, great company it once was and it mistreats its independent dealers too. Hewlett-Packard for half a year or more has had laptops with Xeon processors, generation six i7 processors, thunderbolt version 3 ports and even touchscreen options while Apple MacBook Pros are still using generation four i7 processors, no Xeon processors, Thunderbolt version 2 and no touchscreen options. I was an independent Apple dealer for 22 years and have watched the demise of Apple since Jobs passed away. Jobs would never had let HP or any PC company come out with a better, faster computer before Apple. Jobs also would not have let Apple cancel a 22 year dealer contract when I contracted Leukemia and was unable to work full-time causing me to miss an arbitrarily set sales quote by 20%. Apple has fallen behind technically by only updating their Macs and operating system (minor upgrades at that) once per year (if that often) and are so focused on their retail Apple stores they have let the business market, which is mostly handled by independent dealers, slip away due to pencil pushing Apple Chanel Sales management and AppleCare service management personnel that put profit numbers ahead of the service provided by long-time locally owned stores focused on business market share. And even if they want to bend the rules, the middle managers are so afraid of getting in trouble they won't stray from the rigid rules set by their lawyers. Tim Cook does not get this as he is just a pencil pusher himself. Business customers like mine dread going to Apple stores and having to wait for hours to get to see a "genius." Apple is messed up and I do not see much hope for Tim Cook fixing it.
    Troll much MelS? Copy and pasting the same comment on multiple threads would indicate you are a trolling Apple hater making it up to try and give yourself an air of legitimacy or just a lost soul angry over getting dumped by Apple. You didn't make your numbers and Apple moved on in alignment with their sales and marketing strategy. Your facts don't add up either. Enterprise and business sales of hardware, software and services have continued to grow at expected rates. In the last earnings report it was considered a real bright spot living up to its growth potential. I get it. You are one angry dude hating on Apple and you feel justified. You came to the wrong place and did a really bad job of coming off like anything other than a whiny baby. Oh yeah, brand new profile with just the one comment you copied and paste into four threads. You made up the user profile just to try and hide for fear someone would know who you really are. Did you think people here were stupid? You underestimated us and overestimated yourself.
    edited August 2016 londoranton zuykovnolamacguylolliverlatifbpredgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 9
     MelS said:
    I'm sorry to hear about your Leukemia. I hope things have improved for you.

I agree that the delay in the MacBook Pros is interesting, but typically Apple has a credible reason for doing what they do. They're not going to sabotage current sales by talking about a future product, so I'm curious to hear what they say when the new ones are actually released.

I disagree with your take on Tim Cook; I think he's doing an excellent job. I understand Apple wanting to consolidate control of their sales and services to their own stores as much as possible. Although, I'm sorry that that strategy hasn't worked out for you.

Cheers.
    nolamacguylolliverlatifbpredgeminipapscooter63
  • Reply 5 of 9
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Canalys believes that Apple's peak iPhone sale volumes are in the past, with a response to the iPhone 6s in international markets like China that the firm calls "lackluster."
    Canalys just said sales are down this year, not that they have peaked.  And if you look at the data, you'll see that all the doom about falling iPhone sales looks much more like the first year of the big iPhones was a giant blip, and Apple is back on its former path:
    Infographic Have iPhone Sales Peaked in 2015  Statista
    But of course if Apple has an unusually good year, that's a bad thing on Wall Street, because the next year will look worse, and if they have a bad year, they're even more doomed.
    ration alpatchythepiratenolamacguylolliverlatifbpredgeminipa
  • Reply 6 of 9
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    normm said:

But of course if Apple has an unusually good year, that's a bad thing on Wall Street, because the next year will look worse, and if they have a bad year, they're even more doomed.
    yeah, by their own logic, if Apple had bad year, they should be happy, because the next year will look better, But no, Wall Street mind towards Apple has been conditioned to expect the worse, everything is half empty (as opposed to Amazon for example).
    edited August 2016 lolliverlatifbpredgeminipa
  • Reply 7 of 9
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    The last 2 quarters were down, so that's not much of a prediction.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    MelS said:
    If you're going to whine, whine with proper paragraphs.
    edited August 2016 redgeminipa
  • Reply 9 of 9
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    "research" firm