Rumors: Apple orders 10nm TSMC 'A11' chips for 2017 iPhones, 2016 'iPhone 7' to boast 256GB storage

Posted:
in iPhone
As expected, TSMC has secured orders to produce 10-nanometer "A11" processors for next year's iPhones, according to sources. Separate sources meanwhile hinted on Wednesday that this year's "iPhone 7" will indeed have up to 256 gigabytes of storage.

A 2017 iPhone mockup.
A 2017 iPhone mockup.

TSMC will be manufacturing Apple-designed OLED driver circuitry for the 2017 iPhones as well, DigiTimes contacts said. The actual OLED panels should be supplied by Korean companies, presumably meaning Samsung and/or LG Display. Rumors have indicated that Apple is planning to use edge-to-edge OLED display technology, possibly even integrating Touch ID and camera functions.

Apple is also believed to be working on its own single-chip technology integrating touch and display drivers. To date, Synaptics (once Renesas SP Drivers) has supplied the company's driver circuitry.

In a separate story, other DigiTimes sources mentioned the 256-gigabyte cap on the "iPhone 7" in relation to NAND flash storage prices, which are said to be surging based on third-quarter smartphone manufacturing -- particularly for Apple's new hardware. Demand is thought to be outstripping supply, leading companies like Samsung and SK Hynix to raise quotes.

Some other reports have pointed to top-end "iPhone 7" configurations getting 256 gigabytes of storage, double the ceiling on the iPhone 6s. While that's uncertain, Apple is widely believed to be making 32 gigabytes the new minimum, finally addressing long-standing complaints that 16 gigabytes isn't enough given the size of modern apps, photos, and music.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Intel, now that you bought rights to manufacture ARM chips, where is your stake in Apple's 10nm A11 ? Get on board fast.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 2 of 12
    wood1208 said:
    Intel, now that you bought rights to manufacture ARM chips, where is your stake in Apple's 10nm A11 ? Get on board fast.
    Uhhh, Apple has to choose them.
    topper24hours
  • Reply 3 of 12
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    here's what I think... iPhone 7 - 32/128/256 @ $650/$800/$950 MBP - 512GB/1TB/2TB @ standard/+$400/+$1000
    topper24hours
  • Reply 4 of 12
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    schlack said:
    here's what I think... iPhone 7 - 32/128/256 @ $650/$800/$950 MBP - 512GB/1TB/2TB @ standard/+$400/+$1000
    My guess is 256GB storage plus the better camera will only be available for the Plus.
    Deelrontmay
  • Reply 5 of 12
    wood1208 said:
    Intel would need permission from ARM first, which hasn't been granted, something the bleating sheep have continued to ignore. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    Not everyone needs more then 16GB of storage... My wife has a 6s with 16GB and has never topped out or even come that close. She has a day care business and takes photos and short movies but almost immediately transfers them to her MB so she can send them to her clients. She has about 30 years of music (2-3GB) and 10-12 apps. Mostly games, financial... that don't take much space.
    While some people complain that 16GB is below the minimum.. I say BS! It's below their minimum... which is why you should buy a larger capacity phone! There are people out here in the real world that don't need much in the way of storage!
    Deelron
  • Reply 7 of 12
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    krreagan2 said:
    Not everyone needs more then 16GB of storage... My wife has a 6s with 16GB and has never topped out or even come that close. She has a day care business and takes photos and short movies but almost immediately transfers them to her MB so she can send them to her clients. She has about 30 years of music (2-3GB) and 10-12 apps. Mostly games, financial... that don't take much space.
    While some people complain that 16GB is below the minimum.. I say BS! It's below their minimum... which is why you should buy a larger capacity phone! There are people out here in the real world that don't need much in the way of storage!

It is a $650 phone, 32GB should be minimum. This coming from a 64GB iPhone 6+ owner.
    edited August 2016 cnocbuih2pthewhitefalcon
  • Reply 8 of 12
    krreagan2 said:
    It costs Apple pennies to increase the storage.

No one ever complained their computer hard drive had too much capacity. 
  • Reply 9 of 12
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    schlack said:
    I've been saying that for months: new line up to match iPad Pro...$150 to jump to next tier storage.
  • Reply 10 of 12
    I am wondering, is the the flash in the iPhones the same type as that used in computer SSDs.  If it isn't, or even if it is, is Apple likely to look at adopting UFS in it's mobile devices?  I am honestly asking and want to know.
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 11 of 12
    bdkennedy said:
    wood1208 said:
    Uhhh, Apple has to choose them.
    Intel no longer has the process lead. They should have taken out an ARM license several years ago when they were still leading. Better yet, they should have taken Jobs up on the offer to have Intel build the original iPhone CPU, something Otellini originally rejected.

Intel now has to contend with TSMC's InFO process in addition to the transitional move to 10 nm and subsequent quick move to 7 nm. 

Samsung is also ahead of Intel in the move to 10 nm. 

At least Intel has won LG's business for manufacturing the Nuclun SoC. LG is one of the best of the cell phone manufacfurers so it is a meaningful win. 
  • Reply 12 of 12
    taddtadd Posts: 136member
    if they had UFS in the mobile devices, how would we know?