Apple Annapolis latest to get 'next generation' retail treatment

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2016
Apple opened its relocated Annapolis Mall store in Maryland on Saturday with "next-generation" renovations developed under retail chief Angela Ahrendts, including a large custom TV display, interactive wooden cabinetry and a massive sales floor.

As expected, Apple Annapolis (Apple dropped the "Store" moniker earlier this week) boasts a huge 37-foot TV display that anchors all "next-generation" outlets. The custom-built installation, estimated to cost $1.5 million, was first introduced at a Memphis store in March, though the Annapolis version appears to be much thinner.

Like other "next-generation" outlets the Annapolis location features large glass panel doors that swivel open to high-flung illuminated ceilings designed to create an open atmosphere.

Populating most of the floorspace are update versions of Jony Ive's iconic wooden display tables. The tables closest to the door are filled with various iPad and iPhone models, the second row with MacBooks and Apple Watch, and the third with Mac desktops. Tables near the back of the store are reserved for Genius Bar appointments and workshops.

As usual, display cabinetry dubbed "The Avenue" take up wall space and show off first-party accessories, Beats headphones and other accouterments.

The Annapolis store opening is Apple's second this week after the company opened an outlet in the World Trade Center's Oculus building in New York City. Ahrendts made an appearance at the event on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    I like the direction they're going with the stores.
    caliDeelronmagman1979lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 24
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Guy needs to cut down on the junk food.
    lollivernolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 24
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    ireland said:
    A lusting android user who can't afford anything besides cheap Apple knockoffs and McDonalds.
    lolliver
  • Reply 4 of 24
    ireland said:
    cali said:
    ireland said:
    A lusting android user who can't afford anything besides cheap Apple knockoffs and McDonalds.
    Geez, guys. There's absolutely no reason to attack this shopper in the picture. Do you actually feel better about yourself after body shaming him?
    topper24hoursDeelroncwingravnapoleon_phoneapartfotoformatrealjustinlongJanNLanantksundaramcnocbuiai46
  • Reply 5 of 24
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    Geez, guys. There's absolutely no reason to attack this shopper in the picture. Do you actually feel better about yourself after body shaming him?
    The taxpayers are going to pay for his healthcare. He can cut down on the damned junk food. 
    radarthekatlollivernolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 24
    As much as I love to visit Apple (stores), I'd like to see them do something with the acoustics to minimize the noise level. Over the years, there have been many times I was talking with an Apple employee having to strain to hear and be heard. I know Apple wants there to be a "buzz" in the store, but I prefer a softer experience. Granted, I deal with some hearing loss, but the noise level can be overhwhelming at times.

I like the idea of a Genius Bar-less store. Being able to sit side-by-side with the person providing assistance sounds much more personal. 

Looking forward to seeing one of these reworked stores.

It's unkind to judge the person in the photo based upon his body shape...but since it's the Internet....
    Soliwozwozrobin huber
  • Reply 7 of 24
    As much as I love to visit Apple (stores), I'd like to see them do something with the acoustics to minimize the noise level. Over the years, there have been many times I was talking with an Apple employee having to strain to hear and be heard. I know Apple wants there to be a "buzz" in the store, but I prefer a softer experience. Granted, I deal with some hearing loss, but the noise level can be overhwhelming at times.

I like the idea of a Genius Bar-less store. Being able to sit side-by-side with the person providing assistance sounds much more personal. 

Looking forward to seeing one of these reworked stores.

It's unkind to judge the person in the photo based upon his body shape...but since it's the Internet....
    I would be nice to see some major advances in this area.
  • Reply 8 of 24
    As much as I love to visit Apple (stores), I'd like to see them do something with the acoustics to minimize the noise level. ...
    I think the higher ceilings might help? Sound absorbing foam can reduce noise but no way they're putting that on those pretty walls. Maybe they could incorporate something in that vast illuminated ceiling. Something going on there maybe? Someone that knows acoustics could give a better answer.
  • Reply 9 of 24
    Soli said:
    ireland said:
    I guess we're all Adonises.  :D
  • Reply 10 of 24
    wozwozwozwoz Posts: 263member
    This is the ugliest Apple Store I've seen: it is flat, has no focal points, and is visually uninteresting. Looks like someone set up some trestle tables in their garage for some kids. This is compounded by leaving the side-walls empty:  they are the natural space to have a counter for desktops, iMacs etc  it looks uninviting to me.
    saltyzip
  • Reply 11 of 24
    saltyzipsaltyzip Posts: 193member
    Looks like a temporary store with those tables, like a car boot sale.
    wozwoz
  • Reply 12 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    That's a large monitor or tv for sure, but is it really 37 foot?

When you look at the first picture, with the people standing in front of that tv or screen, the people there are probably around 5-6'

Take the girl with the pink pants, and let's say that she's about 5' tall. You can lay approximately 3 of her on the diagonal of the tv, which would make it around 15'.

Is my math wrong? It could be, but 37' seems awfully large, at least based on the first picture, in my opinion.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    apple ][ said:
    That's a large monitor or tv for sure, but is it really 37 foot?

When you look at the first picture, with the people standing in front of that tv or screen, the people there are probably around 5-6'

Take the girl with the pink pants, and let's say that she's about 5' tall. You can lay approximately 3 of her on the diagonal of the tv, which would make it around 15'.

Is my math wrong? It could be, but 37' seems awfully large, at least based on the first picture, in my opinion.
    I have no reason to doubt Apple's claim, but I can see how AI may have gotten the value wrong. I'm estimating a 12' height from floor to ceiling, with about 18" on each end for the display as seen in the 2nd image. We also have the tables between the camera and the wall to give perspective. I'd say those tables are close to 5' wide, and since there are two of them, plus the floor space, we're looking at about 18' on the horizontal. If that aspect ratio is something close to Panavision at 1:2.39, and it's about 9' tall, then it's a 20' display on the diagonal, which also matches up to my 18' width.

edit: This store in Tennessee clearly has a display that looks like it's 37'.

edited August 2016
  • Reply 14 of 24
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Oorah
  • Reply 15 of 24
    williamh said:
    Soli said:
    The taxpayers are going to pay for his healthcare. He can cut down on the damned junk food. 
    I don't know where you live, but in the US, he could very well be paying for his own health care, through private insurance. We do not have single-payer health care like most countries in the EU do. 
    edited August 2016 spliff monkey
  • Reply 16 of 24
    ireland said:
    From prior interactions, I know you live in Ireland. I think this may be important advice for you to personally consider as well, according to the WHO, if you're an Irish male: http://www.irishtimes.com/news/health/ireland-set-to-be-most-obese-country-in-europe-who-says-1.2201731
    topper24hoursspliff monkeynolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Soli said:

edit: This store in Tennessee clearly has a display that looks like it's 37'.

Yes, that one looks massive, a bit larger than the display shown in the first picture in this article. The title in the link is a bit off though. I don't think that a 37 inch display qualifies as massive in this day and age. :#

I suppose that the large display is a part of all new 'next gen' Apple stores, but they might not all get an equally massive display like the Tennessee store.
    spliff monkey
  • Reply 18 of 24
    cali said:
    ireland said:
    Have you actually been in a Apple lately? Most of the customers I see in there are Comic Book Guys,
  • Reply 19 of 24
    doggonedoggone Posts: 380member
    My biggest problem with the Apple Store is how long you have to wait to get an appt.  Point in question, my wife's phone started acting up right before our vacation was due to start.  I went through all the checks and had a diagnosis done by an Apple rep by phone. Essentially all I needed was five minutes at an Apple Store to get her phone swapped out.  Where I live in the Bay Area in CA, there are 3 Apple Stores within 20 miles.  In all 3, there were no appts for 5 days.
    Luckily we had an old 5S that we swapped out the SIM card so she could use it during the vacation in Hawaii.  We were able to get a new phone in Honolulu but still the wait was 2 days.

I have had this experience several times now and it is frustrating that you cannot get a replacement phone simply because there are no appts. Apple really needs to fix this issue because it is extremely frustrating not to be able to get a phone replacement within 24 h of when you need it.  My suggestion is to have plenty of dedicated time slots for this so that people do not have to wait for simple fixes.
  • Reply 20 of 24
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    cwingrav said:
    As much as I love to visit Apple (stores), I'd like to see them do something with the acoustics to minimize the noise level. ...
    I think the higher ceilings might help? Sound absorbing foam can reduce noise but no way they're putting that on those pretty walls. Maybe they could incorporate something in that vast illuminated ceiling. Something going on there maybe? Someone that knows acoustics could give a better answer.
    The acoustics are a function of the glass and hard floors.  Not sure if they are putting acoustic panels on the underside of the tables, but they need a lot more focus on acoustics and good HVAC.  A few stores I have been in seem to be pushing the edge in energy efficiency... and it isn't working.
    wozwoz