Apple to debut standalone 5K monitor, MacBook Air refresh, 'pro' iPad software features, report say

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited August 2016
Apple is working to release a fresh batch of Mac hardware including a standalone 5K display made in partnership with LG, MacBook Air and iMac refreshes, and new iPad Pro software catering to professional users, according to a report on Monday.

MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek

Citing sources familiar with Apple's plans, Bloomberg reports the company is looking to get back into the monitor game with a high-resolution 5K display made in partnership with existing supplier LG. Apple discontinued the 27-inch Thunderbolt Display, its lone first-party display product, in June.

Today's report claims Apple is working to release AMD graphics options for iMac and updated MacBook Air hardware with multi-function USB-C port, presumably in the same vein as current MacBooks which use the port to recharge. The proposition of new MacBook Airs runs counter to predictions from noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, who in May said Apple is unlikely to sink further resources into the thin-and-light as it builds out the new MacBook series.

Bloomberg reaffirmed Kuo's predictions of a massive MacBook Pro overhaul expected to arrive later this year with an OLED touch bar, USB-C, Thunderbolt 3 and more stuffed into a slimmed-down aluminum chassis.

According to the report, the OLED touchbar, referred to internally as the "Dynamic Function Row," will display both a virtual row of function keys and app-specific commands. For example, the touchbar will display granular controls for editing clips in iMovie and special search tools in Safari. Controls for certain key Mac system functions are to be made available at all times, like volume adjustment assets and a switch to toggle back to the macOS function bar, the report said.

On the iPad Pro front, Apple is supposedly developing software to further take advantage of Apple Pencil's unique user input capabilities. Specifically, Apple is working to integrate annotation features across the iOS operating environment, including apps like Mail, Safari and iMessage.

An exact launch timeline was not cited, but today's report said Apple could debut certain Mac hardware upgrades as early as October. The iPad and Apple Pencil software enhancements are not expected to see release until next year, either in an update to iOS 10 or as part of the next major iteration of Apple's mobile operating system.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 55
    Bloomberg means Mark Gurman, who I trust a heck of a lot more than Ming-Chi. 

While it's somewhat unexpected, it's not completely out of character to do an Air refresh; they did it with the white MacBooks after the aluminum unibody model had been introduced. 
    tallest skildoozydozenSpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

While it's somewhat unexpected, it's not completely out of character to do an Air refresh; they did it with the white MacBooks after the aluminum unibody model had been introduced. 
    MacBook should replace the 11" MacBook Air. Not the MBA lineup.

The Air is a better computer than the MacBook. Larger display (I wouldn't watch a film on smaller), nicer keyboard travel, SD Card and extra ports, better battery life, more performance, magnetic charger. The MacBook has a better display and is thinner/lighter. Swap out MBA ports for a few thunderbolt 3 ones, give it a 14" Retina display (narrow bezel) and a tweaked keyboard design and then you're talking. MB is overpriced for what it is: base model €1,499 ($1,677) in Ireland. Should be offered in 128 GB for $999. MBA should be Retina only and begin with 128 GB for $1,299. New MBP should begin at $1,799 for 256 GB model and should be offered in one screen size: 16" with narrow bezel. All in the name of clarifying the lineup. MacBook 12", Air 14", Pro 16". More ports, more power and more features as you go.
    edited August 2016 jkichlinejdw1983austriacus
  • Reply 3 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

Well, if all they are doing is swapping out USB-A for USB-C to bring the old hardware in line with current specs, there's also precedent for that with the transition from the iPad 3 to 4 mid-cycle, right before a major refresh to the iPad Air.

Then there's also the possibility that they're trying to completely eliminate Mag-Safe. I am fully expecting that if Apple drops the headphone jack from the iPhone 7, that they will add a Lightning port to their entire Mac lineup. Eliminating magsafe gives them the perfect spot to do it on the MBA, especially since Lightning is Apple's de facto charging port. Again, that's a relatively simple thing to update.
  • Reply 4 of 55
    ireland said:

The Air is a better computer than the MacBook. Larger display (I honestly wouldn't watch a film on a screen smaller than the MBA), nicer keyboard travel, SD Card and extra ports, better battery life, more performance, magnetic charger. The MacBook has a better display and is thinner/lighter. Swap out MBA ports for a few thunderbolt 3/USBc ports and give it Retina and then you're talking. MB is overpriced for what it is: base model €1,499 ($1,677) in Ireland. Should be offered in 128 GB for $999 (at most). MBA should be Retina only and begin with 128 GB for $1,299 (at most).
    Wouldn't disagree, I gave my wife my 11 inch MacBook Air, got may self the first MB, fully loaded. The MB is so light, nice, quick enough for most things ( can even run Parallels in a pinch) I don't regret my decision. The MB charges so quickly too. My only critique of MB is, keyboard is NOT that great, and I cannot drive an Apple display without h any adapter if I want to charge or at least power the MB externally. Shame Applke didn't make an adapter. Traveling with MB is very good, it easily fits in most hotel safe too.
    pacificfilm
  • Reply 5 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Looks like a 13"  MBP is in the batter's box to replace my trusty 13" MBA.  

I'd consider the 15" but these refreshes won't be based on Kaby Lake processors so I'd rather keep the money in my pocket and perhaps upgrade to a 15" in a couple of years. 

I love love love the idea of a dynamic OLED strip and Touch ID support.  Hopefully developers and end users will have some great customizing functionality. 

5k display sounds great...not at $999.  I think the price premium for 5k vs 4k doesn't make sense.   
    pscooter63baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 55
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Traveling with MB is very good, it easily fits in most hotel safe too.
    I couldn't go down from MBA batter life. The newest MB gets 10 hours on paper, but MBA is more powerful so when you use both machines I see that 2 hour gap becoming 4. I couldn't go back.
    edited August 2016 austriacus
  • Reply 7 of 55
    The iMac's are up for a redesign - it's been 4 years with the same design. My guess is they are going to finally remove the bulky 3.5" HD and just go flash to remove that ugly bulge.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 55
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

I don't trust any of them.   

As for Mac Book Air I really have to wonder about people, seriously why wouldn't Apple update the Air?   Air has been one of the better resealing computer in Apples line up.    Put a high resolution display in it, very possible with Intels improved GPU's, and it is a very viable platform.   Apple just needs to put more than one USB-C port in the machine, four would be nice, but even two would put it well ahead of the Mac Book.   

People need to remember that Mac Book is Core M and as such will always suffer performance wise compared to other platforms.   Air on the other is a platform for midrange Intel mobile chips.  Well Intel for today we can always wish for an AMD Zen in the Air.   Zen would mean far better GPU performance and good enough CPU performance, which is exactly what the Air needs to transition to a high res screen.
  • Reply 9 of 55
    wizard69 said:

As for Mac Book Air I really have to wonder about people, seriously why wouldn't Apple update the Air?   Air has been one of the better resealing computer in Apples line up.    Put a high resolution display in it, very possible with Intels improved GPU's, and it is a very viable platform.   Apple just needs to put more than one USB-C port in the machine, four would be nice, but even two would put it well ahead of the Mac Book.   

People need to remember that Mac Book is Core M and as such will always suffer performance wise compared to other platforms.   Air on the other is a platform for midrange Intel mobile chips.  Well Intel for today we can always wish for an AMD Zen in the Air.   Zen would mean far better GPU performance and good enough CPU performance, which is exactly what the Air needs to transition to a high res screen.
    The white MacBook was the best selling Mac ever. Didn't save it. 
    doozydozenpatchythepirate
  • Reply 10 of 55

On the iPad Pro front, Apple is supposedly developing software to further take advantage of Apple Pencil's unique user input capabilities. Specifically, Apple is working to integrate annotation features across the iOS operating environment, including apps like Mail, Safari and iMessage. 
    Mmm... I suspect that the iPad Pros will gain some hardware-assisted collaboration capabilities.  Likely, this will first be used by enterprise -- but will filter down to new Apple mobile devices and then to iDevices for consumer/social use.

tmaypscooter63
  • Reply 11 of 55

I'd consider the 15" but these refreshes won't be based on Kaby Lake processors so I'd rather keep the money in my pocket and perhaps upgrade to a 15" in a couple of years. 

I love love love the idea of a dynamic OLED strip and Touch ID support.  Hopefully developers and end users will have some great customizing functionality. 

5k display sounds great...not at $999.  I think the price premium for 5k vs 4k doesn't make sense.   
    This report says no MBP yet. If you project ahead there is a good possibility that Apple is actually waiting for Intel to deliver Kaby Lake.   If you are waiting for a MBP you might have to wait a few months longer.

AS for a 5K display we will have to wait and see.    Frankly I don't see a big draw unless it has the rumored built in GPU to drive the display.   Most Macs simply can't drive a display of that resolution without the molasses effect taking place.  So I don't see a Apple shopping huge numbers of these without the rumored GPU.    It will be interesting to see what Apple actually ships.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 55
    wizard69 said:

True but the thing is they had a viable replacement for that machine.   Mac Book isn't even close to being able to replace the MBA.
    baconstang
  • Reply 13 of 55
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I still have one of those, and one of the black ones too. 
  • Reply 14 of 55

To drive 5k, those monitors will HAVE to have built in GPU's.. Just no way around that. The TB3 / DP spec's don't support 5k at all; much less the timing chip required.. The only way that is possible, right now, is the custom chip timing chip they used in the 5k iMac itself, which requires the GPU to be there.. This will be an interesting release.
    edited August 2016 doozydozendysamoria
  • Reply 15 of 55
    I love the idea of the current 2.2ghz+ 11" air with one 27" monitor, and look forward to what they may offer, hoping parity with the retina mbp & multiple GPU 5k displays if possible... Yowsa!
  • Reply 16 of 55
    wizard69 said:
    wizard69 said:

True but the thing is they had a viable replacement for that machine.   Mac Book isn't even close to being able to replace the MBA.
    Because a lighter and thinner rMBP is replacing the MBA.
    tmaydoozydozen
  • Reply 17 of 55
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    wizard69 said:

This report says no MBP yet. If you project ahead there is a good possibility that Apple is actually waiting for Intel to deliver Kaby Lake.   If you are waiting for a MBP you might have to wait a few months longer.

AS for a 5K display we will have to wait and see.    Frankly I don't see a big draw unless it has the rumored built in GPU to drive the display.   Most Macs simply can't drive a display of that resolution without the molasses effect taking place.  So I don't see a Apple shopping huge numbers of these without the rumored GPU.    It will be interesting to see what Apple actually ships.
    Yikes I just assumed MBP was part of that list.  That's fine...it's already 400+ day for the MBP ...Apple may as well wait until Kaby Lake is ready. 
    As for 5k...I'm actually looking at a combination of Ultra-wide 21:9 augmented with a portrait display primarily for development.  With ultra high resolution displays there's a bit of diminishing returns. 
  • Reply 18 of 55
    adrayven said:

To drive 5k, those monitors will HAVE to have built in GPU's.. Just no way around that. The TB3 / DP spec's don't support 5k at all; much less the timing chip required.. The only way that is possible, right now, is the custom chip timing chip they used in the 5k iMac itself, which requires the GPU to be there.. This will be an interesting release.
    This is incorrect. No custom timing chip is required these days. Displayport 1.3 is out and even 1.4 is out and they both support 5K displays just fine. Even the old displayport 1.2 supported 5K if you connect two cables. USB-C supports displayport 1.3
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 55
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    wizard69 said:

That actually makes sense. Upgrade the MBA to keep the product line current until they can get the new MBP with new chips out the door. But if they don't add a retina display, I'm not sure I understand why they'd announce it during the iPhone keynote -- unless they're introducing Lightning ports on the Macs. Hmmm.
  • Reply 20 of 55
    jupiteronejupiterone Posts: 1,564member
    ireland said:

The Air is a better computer than the MacBook. Larger display (I honestly wouldn't watch a film on a screen smaller than the MBA), nicer keyboard travel, SD Card and extra ports, better battery life, more performance, magnetic charger. The MacBook has a better display and is thinner/lighter. Swap out MBA ports for a few thunderbolt 3/USBc ports and give it Retina and then you're talking. MB is overpriced for what it is: base model €1,499 ($1,677) in Ireland. Should be offered in 128 GB for $999 (at most). MBA should be Retina only and begin with 128 GB for $1,299 (at most).
    My only critique of MB is, keyboard is NOT that great.....
    That has been my only complaint since day one. As a touch typist, it slows me way down.....
    pacificfilm