Alleged 'iPhone 7' packaging reaffirms 32GB model, Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter in the box

Posted:
in iPhone
With just a week to go before Apple's Sept. 7 event, yet another packaging insert claimed to be for the "iPhone 7" reveals a return to the 32-gigabyte capacity, and also reaffirms that a Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter will be included in the box.

The latest photo, shared Wednesday afternoon by Techtastic.nl, is very similar to alleged "iPhone 7 Plus" technical specifications that were revealed earlier in the day. But the latest photos are for a "iPhone 7" model with 32 gigabytes of storage.

Both the 32-gigabyte "iPhone 7" sheet and the 256-gigabyte "iPhone 7 Plus" sheet both make mention of an Apple-branded Lightning to Headphone Jack Adapter included in the box. Both handsets are also advertised to ship with new EarPods sporting a Lightning Connector.

Certain parts of the packaging insert are suspect, such as the fact that it appears to be stuck to another piece of paper with holes punched in it. But the content matches the separate leak from earlier Wednesday, potentially supporting its legitimacy.

As for the 32-gigabyte capacity, it's heavily rumored that the size will become the new entry level for this year's iPhone upgrade. That would double the 16-gigabyte minimum capacity found in the current generation iPhone 6s, and go a long way toward quashing user complaints about the amount of space needed to install iOS updates.

In addition to new capacities of 32 and 256 gigabytes, the "iPhone 7" is also expected to ditch the legacy 3.5-millimeter headphone jack, pushing users toward Lightning-connected headphones, as well as wireless Bluetooth headsets. The inclusion of an adapter for traditional headphones in the box could help soften public outcry against the elimination of the ubiquitous headphone plug.

As for why Apple is apparently eliminating the headphone jack this year, the expectation its removal will allow for thinner designs, and also allow for the "iPhone 7" to be the most water resistant handset Apple has ever built. Combined with a new capacitive home button featuring haptic feedback in place of a physical click, Apple could also free up valuable real estate within the iPhone's chassis, enabling improvements to design or the luxury of fitting larger battery cells.

Apple is expected to take the wraps off of the "iPhone 7" series at a keynote presentation next Wednesday in San Francisco. AppleInsider will be there live with full coverage of the event.

Comments

• Reply 2 of 16
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    linkman said:
    A different sheet (for a 256GB iPhone 7 Plus) was revealed earlier Wednesday, as noted in the second paragraph of this story. This is for a 32GB iPhone 7.
    lolliver
  • Reply 3 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Lightning EarPods in the box makes sense. I prefer wired to Bluetooth. One more thing to charge. No thanks. €200-300 vs €29-100. My objective isn't to make Apple the most money. It's to get the experience I want. If they don't do Lightning EarPods and they try to sell Bluetooth as an the only alternative (marketing-wise) to the headphone jack I'll be disappointed.
    edited August 2016 mike1
  • Reply 4 of 16
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    I am developing an allergy to adapters. Look at that picture. Clunky r us!

at least the Lightning EarPods are included.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    this is so gonna push the market towards bluetooth.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    I would have thought that it would be a 'dual' dongle supporting both a traditional headphone jack and Lightning input for charging. Unless there is some type of inductive charging, this could pose an inconvenience for some users.... (I moved to BT headphones over a year ago, so I am OK).
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jfkfcjfkfc Posts: 2member
    I imagine the only reason Apple finally gave the option of 256GB was to help ease the blow of having to use an adapter to be able to use analog technology. 
    The reason for the jack removal has been stated to be able to be able to make the iPhone thinner (at most it would slim down the width of the jack, which would be 1/14 of an inch, yes that's right 1/14).
    I don't need a thinner phone. Current models are  arguably too thin now, they're more difficult to hold, and they certainly flex and bend, even just enough to make the touch screen non-responsive. Of course we all know by removing the jack, the average person will buy more adapters, Bluetooth headphones, etc. 
    I for one, will not be buying a 7, the 6 series does everything I need, it will save me from buying additional accessories, but mainly I flat out don't agree with the removal of the analog jack. 
    My two cents (or $499). 
    80s_Apple_Guy
  • Reply 8 of 16
    I switched to bluetooth years ago and have not used a headphone jack since I got my iPhone 3Gs, so I have no need for one. However, I have to agree with jfkfc on the dubious need of the quest for an always thinner device. I would much prefer a thicker and heavier phone in exchange for doubled or tripled battery life. I end up using battery cases that have all sorts of problems and add much more weight and bulk than necessary; increasing the capacity of the internal battery would be much more efficient.

jfkfc
  • Reply 9 of 16
    jfkfc said:
    I imagine the only reason Apple finally gave the option of 256GB was to help ease the blow of having to use an adapter to be able to use analog technology. 
    The reason for the jack removal has been stated to be able to be able to make the iPhone thinner (at most it would slim down the width of the jack, which would be 1/14 of an inch, yes that's right 1/14).
    I don't need a thinner phone. Current models are  arguably too thin now, they're more difficult to hold, and they certainly flex and bend, even just enough to make the touch screen non-responsive. Of course we all know by removing the jack, the average person will buy more adapters, Bluetooth headphones, etc. 
    I for one, will not be buying a 7, the 6 series does everything I need, it will save me from buying additional accessories, but mainly I flat out don't agree with the removal of the analog jack. 
    My two cents (or $499). 
    Another BS talker.
    People are claiming its to make the phone thinner, Apple certainly has NOT claimed or asserted this, and likely never will.

• Reply 10 of 16
    foggyhill said:

Another BS talker.
    People are claiming its to make the phone thinner, Apple certainly has NOT claimed or asserted this, and likely never will.

Apple hasn't said why, and certainly consumers haven't asked for it to be removed. I never claimed that Apple said the reason was to make the phone thinner, but when the chatter started, there was a lot of speculation from Apple fansites stating that that could be a/the reason. (Google iphone+thinner+headphone and you'll get 900K results)
    This isn't like ditching Firewire or Magsafe 1 for a better user experience.. What possible reason would they be ditching the jack ? Give a naysayer a reason that Apple would lose the jack that benefits us consumers, froggy. Ready to hear some real BS now....
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 11 of 16
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    entropys said:

I was expecting it to be clunky and was going to go into a rage over the fact that Apple eliminates the headphone jack so they can make the phone even slimmer and then forces users to use a clunky adapter, but Apple can feel good because they can still run ads that show the beauty of the phone without the adapter.

But as adapters go, that one really isn't very bad: it's really about as elegant as it could possibly be.   And if it's in the box, that's pretty good because Apple would normally charge a lot for such an adapter because it must have an A to D converter within it. It's probably a really crappy one though.    It's also great that Apple is including earbuds that work with that port, although I can't personally use them because if they're the same as the current ones, they don't fit my ears very well and I find they all seem to die after not too long a time.   
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Maybe they removed the analog jack only to make space for a bigger battery.
  • Reply 13 of 16
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    entropys said:

To be fair, that headset cable has weird angle to begin with. Most headset has straight jack, or if curved, only the head part. For those, the rumored Apple adapter designed as in pic makes a lot of sense.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    32Gb entry level storage is really good news and could push sales
  • Reply 15 of 16
    I'm not gonna lie. I'm getting tired of paying 29.99 for adaptors that should cost 2.99
    tallest skil
  • Reply 16 of 16
    rolyroly Posts: 74member
    "the expectation its removal will allow for thinner designs, and also allow for the "iPhone 7" to be the most water resistant handset Apple has ever built".

No, it will allow more internal space for extra components / battery. I doubt thinness is the reason.