Dragging a window

Posted:
in Genius Bar
Does anyone know why only a few Mac windows (only one that I know of for sure) can be dragged from anywhere in the window while most others can only be moved by the top and bottom edges?  Downloaded windows can usually be dragged from anywhere in the window but not Mac windows.  Seems 'bass-ackwards' to me. 

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,544member
    I assume you mean apps' windows? "Anywhere in the window?" Examples?
  • Reply 2 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    Click on a file (JPG, GIF, etc.); press space bar; a larger version of the Preview pops up.  The larger version can be moved by 'grabbing' it anywhere and dragging it to where you want it.

• Reply 3 of 7
    sequitursequitur Posts: 1,910member
    I wanted to edit my last post. There used to be a 'pen' icon to do that, but I don't see it now. 

I wanted to add MP4's to the list. There are probably others as well, but I can't recall them. 
  • Reply 4 of 7
    tap/click on the little cogwheel icon to show the "edit" option.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    sequitur said:
    Click on a file (JPG, GIF, etc.); press space bar; a larger version of the Preview pops up.  The larger version can be moved by 'grabbing' it anywhere and dragging it to where you want it.

That's Quick Look. That's not an application, but a service, and as such, it behaves entirely differently from any other application window. 
  • Reply 6 of 7
    In a similar vein (though the hitbox for this action has been expanded in El Cap)…

• Reply 7 of 7
    spheric said:
    sequitur said:

That's Quick Look. That's not an application, but a service, and as such, it behaves entirely differently from any other application window. 
    That works in Preview and also in QT Player (as well as some 3rd party apps like VLC) ... I suppose because there is no other interaction to be done within the window space (unless you first hit the "edit" button ... and then you can't drag from within the window anymore, because you'll be doing a selection instead.)  You can't do that within, say, Safari windows, because they've probably decided you're more likely to be trying to select text rather than move the window.

correction:  It doesn't work in Preview ... I thought it did but i was wrong (It allows selection, rather than moving).  Movie windows, however, CAN be moved from anywhere in the window... even from apps rather than services.
    edited September 2016