More possible 'iPhone 7' packaging leaks emerge, also list bundled Apple 'AirPods'

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
More questionable photos alleging to show the back of Apple's "iPhone 7" packaging have popped up, with the most recent boxes out of Russia suggesting that Apple's as yet unannounced Bluetooth "AirPods" will be included with some models.

The alleged "iPhone" box pictures were sent to AppleInsider on Thursday, and show details for a 256-gigabyte "iPhone 7." Like Thursday's leaked packaging, the new pictures claim that wireless "AirPods" are included with the phone but this time included with the smaller "iPhone 7," instead of just with the "iPhone 7 Plus."

Only one of the pictures has a clear focus. While the "AirPods" are listed as included, the Lightning to headphone jack adapter depicted on other box picture leaks is not listed.

Casting some doubt on authenticity, the label on the back of the box is also clearly a sticker. Apple has recently been printing directly on the box backs, with the shift to printed packaging and away from a sticker on the box taking place with the launch of the iPhone 6.

The text is centered on the sticker, also in contrast to iPhone 6 and 6s packaging having left-justified text. And recent iPhone models have not printed the product name large at the top of the box, like is shown in the latest Russian leak.

However, some Apple products in the past have had centered text and a large product name printed on the back of the box, including the iPad mini 2 and Apple Watch.

Despite the images appearing to be from a shrink-wrapped pair of retail boxes for the device, paper "proof" listing box contents is easy to forge. The images, if legitimate, could indicate Apple will have a staggering amount of individual model numbers, spanning not just models, but colors, capacities, and now the choice of wired or wireless bundled earbuds.

The company has been rumored for some time to have completely wireless earbuds in development, with no tethering wire spanning the two buds. A recent regulatory filing confirmed the rumors that the wireless earbuds are called "AirPods," in a slight alteration of the original wired "EarPods" name.

The new "iPhone 7" is expected to be revealed during Apple's Sept. 7 event. New models are rumored to be slightly thinner design than the iPhone 6 family, made possible by removing the analog headphone jack, necessitating wireless or Lightning earbuds. The larger 5.5-inch "Plus" variant has been said for some time to feature a dual-lens camera design, and 3 gigabytes of application RAM.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    The mentioned argument that Apple prints its product information on the box itself is invalid. The iPhone SE here in Germany has a sticker on the box (see photo) - also the new iPad Pros have a centered product name on their bix as well. In my opinion these boxes look legit. It could be that all iPhone 7s and 7 Pluses will get the AirPods (which maybe will be a cheap wired between the earplugs alternative bluetooth headphone) in comparison to a better no wire Beats headphone that maybe will be introduced on Wednesday. With AirPods they would avoid the charging and listening to music at the same time problem. Additionally they would underline their reason to get rid off the headphone jack. They could talk about other, higher priced alternatives to the AirPods as well.
  • Reply 2 of 25
    It's funny that you all will publish anything. No due diligence required - just a printer, an old iPhone box, and a photo!
  • Reply 3 of 25
    Apple's Leak Detection DisInformation process is working overtime.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 4 of 25
    The iPhone is by far the fastest mobile device on any single metric, but putting 3GB of RAM is one of those moves equivalent to 16GB of onboard storage. I bet that the difference to 4GB chips is negligible, specially since they are by far the most used, nowadays. It will be just there to serve as an excuse for something, later on.

I really can't wait to see if they put competitive camera hardware, instead of keeping using by far the weakest camera hardware of any single high end mobile device. Their processing software and A-series chip deserves better. Actually, they deserve the best.

After that... What could be nicer?

Hmmm, useful features like waterproofing and a modern, high end, screen technology, like OLED, that is better on any single metric.

Heck, if they put the 6s with 64 GB of storage (minimum) and waterproof it, they would already have the best phone until this time, next year. Right? It wouldn't be an explosive release ( :wink:  ), but it doesn't need to be, due to the state of things. Samsung is growing, but once users remember why they left and how terrible they and Android are on the ecosystem department (slow, lag, stutter, the usual issues with updates, etc.) they will implode, as usual. Meh.

Still excited for the new A-series ship. It's one of those things where Apple could make a "meh" announcement, or something truly profound.

But they have other issues to solve, like... WTF is the 6 series (not the 6s) doing at those prices? What about the mack and all of their known huge issues?
    • TN Panels on the MBAir;
    • Outdated CPUs and GPUs;
    • non-ssd even on very expensive configurations;
    • extremely small SSDs;
    • etc.
    Just clean house. Stop selling the 6 series, mac mini, any non-retina iMac, any non-ssd mac, the macbook air, all iPads besides the Pros and call the 9,7" just iPad, etc.
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 5 of 25
    Why no image of the front yet?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 6 of 25
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Easily faked.
    braderunnermwhitenolamacguy
  • Reply 7 of 25
    Considering the iPhone 7 will come out in a few weeks, there are millions in a warehouse somewhere, a photo of the box has to leak. Death. Taxes. iPhone box leaking.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 8 of 25
    Like, why wouldn't they show the front of the box?????! Lol.
  • Reply 9 of 25
    damonfdamonf Posts: 229member
    My guess is that Apple will go with the new $150 pricing difference between storage tiers as they've been doing with the iPad Pros, so that the 4.7" iPhone 7 pricing would look like this:

• 32 GB with Lightning EarPods and Lightning-to-headphone-jack dongle: $649
    • 128 GB with Lightning EarPods and Lightning-to-headphone-jack dongle: $799 ($50 increase for prior year, 64 GB middle-tier buyers / $50 decrease for prior year 128 GB buyers)
    • 256 GB with AirPods: $949 or possibly even $999

Add $100 to each for the 7 Plus. I think the Lighning EarPods will be exclusive to the 32 and 128 GB models, the AirPods exclusive to the top-of-the-line 256 GB model as an "added incentive" to buy it. 
    edited September 2016 tycho24badmonk
  • Reply 10 of 25
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,032member
    Could we see the new wireless earbuds come with a "Pro" model?  The phone is the only product line without a Pro tier.
  • Reply 11 of 25
    damonf said:
    My guess is that Apple will go with the new $150 pricing difference between storage tiers as they've been doing with the iPad Pros, so that the 4.7" iPhone 7 pricing would look like this:

The dongle will be extra. Apple always does that. Anyone remember Nano tubes?  (Definitely necessary but ad-on and double the price).
  • Reply 12 of 25
    tycho24 said:
    If you have seen the boxes for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, you would know the front of the box is plain white with nothing on it.  The product details are only printed on the back of the box.  So why would anyone show a picture of the blank front of the box?  Anything can be faked with Photoshop.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 13 of 25
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    The mentioned argument that Apple prints its product information on the box itself is invalid. The iPhone SE here in Germany has a sticker on the box (see photo) - also the new iPad Pros have a centered product name on their bix as well. In my opinion these boxes look legit. It could be that all iPhone 7s and 7 Pluses will get the AirPods (which maybe will be a cheap wired between the earplugs alternative bluetooth headphone) in comparison to a better no wire Beats headphone that maybe will be introduced on Wednesday. With AirPods they would avoid the charging and listening to music at the same time problem. Additionally they would underline their reason to get rid off the headphone jack. They could talk about other, higher priced alternatives to the AirPods as well.
    There is no problem with charging and listening that is not easily solved. A simple pass-through charging cable in the box would solve that.

If included, AirPods will be optional and cost more. No different than chasing wired or wireless keyboard and mouse with the iMac. And comparatively, no more SKUs than the iPads with and without LTE.

While I agree it underlines the reason to drop the 3.5mm jack, customers expect headphones, and they may have some regulatory requirements to provide them in some territories. And many Apple customers just aren't going to pay a $150-200 premium for wireless earbuds, no matter how good.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    tycho24 said:
    Because it's nothing in front. Remember iPhone 6? It could be that Apple may just print the front for S version from now on.
  • Reply 15 of 25
    damonf said:

• 128 GB with Lightning EarPods and Lightning-to-headphone-jack dongle: $799 ($50 increase for prior year, 64 GB middle-tier buyers / $50 decrease for prior year 128 GB buyers)
    • 256 GB with AirPods: $949 or possibly even $999

Add $100 to each for the 7 Plus. I think the Lighning EarPods will be exclusive to the 32 and 128 GB models, the AirPods exclusive to the top-of-the-line 256 GB model as an "added incentive" to buy it. 
    This sounds about right. I still think the dongle might not come in the box, but rather be an accessory for $29.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    tycho24 said:
    If you have seen the boxes for the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6s, you would know the front of the box is plain white with nothing on it.  The product details are only printed on the back of the box.  So why would anyone show a picture of the blank front of the box?  Anything can be faked with Photoshop.
    Well... actually, Sassy McWrongalot: the box to the 6 was blank, while the box to the 6S had these pics of fish that were their new "motion wallpapers". The box pics highlighted the new screen tech.
    As there is yet another screen tech this time around (TrueTone), the pics will almost certainly not still show last years image of the fishes, and DEFINITELY not show the two year old blank box which you refer to.
    Had you seen a box more recently than two years ago, you would have been able to work this out on your own!
    Basically... it's easy to fake writing on the back of a box- but would take some creativity to try and guess the new image Apple will be printing on the box fronts. That's the big clue these are fakes. The fact that supposedly the new, never been seen image on the front is right there in the photographer's hands, but they choose to only snap the text instead.
    Please. 
  • Reply 17 of 25
    fallenjt said:
    tycho24 said:
    Because it's nothing in front. Remember iPhone 6? It could be that Apple may just print the front for S version from now on.
    You know how we'd know for sure???
    If the front was actually posted! But it wasn't, because these are likely fakes.
  • Reply 18 of 25
    fallenjt said:
    tycho24 said:

The iPhone 6 has print on the top of the box now. It didn't at first though. My friend just bought one and it does have an image of the phone on it.  Not the fish though. One of the flower wallpapers I believe. My iPhone 6 box from 2 years ago was blank though. They must have changed it fairly recently.
  • Reply 19 of 25
    I enjoy rumours as much as the next person, but a part of me hopes that the leakers get busted.   :D
  • Reply 20 of 25
    If they are airpods bundled, I am more interested if this will work with previous iPhone's.

I am guessing Apple will do something to make sure they don't, with the iPhone 7 looking like a small upgrade, I guess this will be one of the standout features, a new wireless headphone protocol that requires the iPhone 7, likely based on a lower energy version of Bluetooth.