Assortment of Steve Jobs's personal property for sale by celebrity auction house

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
An online auction has started containing a large amount of Apple founder Steve Jobs' personal effects, including a leather jacket worn in a famous picture taken underneath the IBM logo.

The goods for sale have been culled from Jane Fonda's collection of celebrity goods, and is being held on Julien's Live auction site. Included in the sale are a box of home correspondence between staff and Jobs, many items of clothing, several lots of neckties, Jobs' electric razors, keys to Jobs' long-time property the Jackling House, and NeXT collectibles.

The items provenance originally stems from the caretakers of the Jackling House, and most of the pieces have been in Fonda's custody since Jobs' death.

The Jackling House was a historical property that Jobs purchased in 1984. After leasing it out to others for about a decade, he left the property un-maintained, and fought a protracted legal battle to have it demolished.

The residence was demolished in February 2011. Jobs died in October of that year, before construction of a new house on the property began.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Macabre to say the least but collectors will pay big bucks for this stuff.
    welshdog
  • Reply 2 of 36
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Seeing that photo of Steve giving the finger to Big Blue makes me yearn for the old days when Apple was David pitting themselves against the Goliaths of the world and trying to break their hold on the status quo of the computing world. It was such an exciting time when so many things were coming together to accelerate the development of computing. Man, we take so much for granted now.

So much has changed now, that Apple has become the Goliath. I am immensely impressed that they seem to have held on to so many of their values that Steve pioneered in the early days, despite their size now.

He really did so much to advance technology and make it elegant and simple to use. That's the only thing I think Apple seems to be loosing in a significant way - is their famed ease of use and simplicity. Perhaps also their status as Mavericks daring to think different. They still do have a bit of that though.

I sometimes wish I could revisit those times. I'm probably forgetting all the crap we had to deal with (SCSI termination anyone?! Uh!)
    edited September 2016 fastasleeprobin huberstourquecalibrian greenpaxmancwingravurahara
  • Reply 3 of 36
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    lkrupp said:

Honestly I don't get it myself. Personal effects like this should be burnt upon death just to deny these morbid creatures their articles of faith. It is no surprise that Jane Fonda is involved here. Just another example of what is wrong with America.
    tallest skil
  • Reply 4 of 36
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,896member
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah that's one area of collecting to which I cannot relate. Collecting records, sure.  Collecting something finely crafted and made in limted numbers, great I get it.  Collecting objects that once belonged to a person living or dead, merely because they were famous and touched these items?  Weird.
    robertwalter
  • Reply 5 of 36
    The writer might want to actually read the catalogue prologue: Jane Fonda has nothing to do with the Steve Jobs auction lots. The auction, under the title, 'Icons & Idols: Hollywood' is divided into various sections, all from different sources (Harold Lloyd, Jane Fonda, Charlton Heston, etc). The Jobs related lots are in the action featuring 'Hollywood’s most private stars'. This kind of careless reporting is becoming more evident in AI these days either due haste or inattention. 
    welshdog
  • Reply 6 of 36
    mobius said:
    I sometimes wish I could revisit those times. I'm probably forgetting all the crap we had to deal with (SCSI termination anyone?! Uh!)
    Bus errors, chimes of death, AAUI, blessing system folders, system enablers, extensions...lots of fun, right?  :D
    mobiusfastasleeptallest skiluraharaargonaut
  • Reply 7 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    Oh, I don't know... there could be any number of reasons a person might want to acquire these things. No more macabre than a garage sale or any other estate sale, really.
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 8 of 36
    I wonder if Tim Cook was with IBM when Steve flipped them off.
    cwingrav
  • Reply 9 of 36
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    It would be cool to have the wallet & ID badge. It's currently at $4k.
  • Reply 10 of 36
    mobius said:
    Bus errors, chimes of death, AAUI, blessing system folders, system enablers, extensions...lots of fun, right?  :D
    Extensions Manager. *shudder*
  • Reply 11 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    TFR.Brown said:
    The writer might want to actually read the catalogue prologue: Jane Fonda has nothing to do with the Steve Jobs auction lots. The auction, under the title, 'Icons & Idols: Hollywood' is divided into various sections, all from different sources (Harold Lloyd, Jane Fonda, Charlton Heston, etc). The Jobs related lots are in the action featuring 'Hollywood’s most private stars'. This kind of careless reporting is becoming more evident in AI these days either due haste or inattention. 
    Thanks for your concern, but we were told by an employee at the auction house that Fonda is the owner of the Jobs pieces.
    robin huber
  • Reply 12 of 36
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    mobius said:
    Bus errors, chimes of death, AAUI, blessing system folders, system enablers, extensions...lots of fun, right?  D
    Extensions Manager. *shudder*
    Good old Conflict Catcher by Cassidy & Greene was a must-have diagnostic tool for OS 9.
    edited September 2016 fastasleepseafox
  • Reply 13 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    Yeah, a bit creepy.

Incidentally, as I look at many of the items -- esp. clothing -- it is a bit incongruous and fascinating (to me) how one of the greatest design aficionados of all time, one with perhaps the keenest eye for great industrial design ever, had some of the most pedestrian, even nerdy, taste in personal items. The one exception is the the beautiful (rectangular) Baume et Mercier watch.
  • Reply 14 of 36

mobius said:
    Now replaced by offshore-retroactively-tax-avoidant-indefinitely-deferrable-retained... whatever...
  • Reply 15 of 36
    mobius said:
    That's the only thing I think Apple seems to be loosing in a significant way - is their famed ease of use and simplicity. Perhaps also their status as Mavericks daring to think different. They still do have a bit of that though.

no, thats just your nostalgia. i used to make a living setting on-board IRQ and DMA jumpers for end-users when installing modems and sound cards. shit was never easy.

rather, the fact that my senior parents are using iPads and iPhones is proof of the inverse -- that this shit is much easier today. and if you compare iOS devices to preceding devices (say, blackberries, etc), you'll realize that it's Apple who brought ease of use to the table. yesterday and today.
    jkichlinestevehlkruppcali
  • Reply 16 of 36
    Wonder how Jane came by it? Were she and Jobs a "thing" at some point. She is a decade or so older than he isn't she?
    cali
  • Reply 17 of 36
    Mike WuertheleMike Wuerthele Posts: 6,837administrator
    Wonder how Jane came by it? Were she and Jobs a "thing" at some point. She is a decade or so older than he isn't she?
    That's one of the reasons I contacted the company. The "preamble" to the auction was puzzling, and I had questions. 

They had no idea.
    cali
  • Reply 18 of 36
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    mobius said:
    IRQ Jumpers on Motherboards...
  • Reply 19 of 36
    So....this auction benefits who? Jane Fonda??? 

So Hanoi Jane is seeking to make money on the abandoned items left behind of a former romance?

Boy that says a lot about a person...and so does the photos of her and her North Vietnamese friends.

Jane Fonda, a lifetime Hollywood millionaire, doesn't even give a thought to giving the proceeds of this auction to some sensible/relevant charity? These are, after all, old t-shirts--not your income stream so that you can continue living in the lap of luxury.

apple ][
  • Reply 20 of 36
    wizard69 said:
    lkrupp said:

Honestly I don't get it myself. Personal effects like this should be burnt upon death just to deny these morbid creatures their articles of faith. It is no surprise that Jane Fonda is involved here. Just another example of what is wrong with America.
    Ps She was right about Viet Nam... We killed 60k of our own and ca 1.5M opponents and for what?
    edited September 2016 stourquewelshdogsingularitybadmonk