$99 annual Apple Music subscriptions auto-renew at discounted price - report

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
The $99, 12-month Apple Music gift cards recently launched by Apple appear to auto-renew subscriptions for the same length of time, effectively creating a new subscription plan.

At the least, auto-renewing annual subscriptions are in effect for people buying email codes from Walmart, a post from the The Loop's Jim Dalrymple suggested on Wednesday. When entered into iTunes, the codes trigger a message saying a subscription will be renewed at the $99 rate.

Until this week Apple has only been offering monthly plans costing $4.99 for students, $9.99 for most individual listeners, or $14.99 for families. Annual plans typically aren't offered for on-demand streaming -- while people can get a 12-month Spotify gift card, it's priced at the standard monthly rate.

Apple could be planning to make 12-month subscriptions a standard option at today's iPhone event, starting at 10 a.m. Pacific time, 1 p.m. Eastern. AppleInsider will be there to provide live coverage.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    When I went to the paypal online store to purchase my annual Apple Music subscription for $99 I found out that if I used my paypal credit account to pay with, I got a instant discount of $5. $94 for 12 months!
    albegarcdantheman827
  • Reply 2 of 10
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    Apple Music is too damn expensive any way you look at it.  Count me out
    freshmaker
  • Reply 3 of 10
    dougd said:
    It's no more expensive than Spotify...
  • Reply 4 of 10
    I wonder if they'll offer something like this for the family plan... 1 year for $149 would be nice...
  • Reply 5 of 10
    dougd said:
    Compared to what?
  • Reply 6 of 10
    That is a very good deal, hopefully Apple will have this plan in other countries.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    dougd said:
    It's not their fault you hate music. 
  • Reply 8 of 10
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    dougd said:

WTF are you talking about bud. Seriously STFU.
    I used to buy $20 of music in the 1980s PER WEEK, that's about $50 now.... Are you fracking homeless?

People like you take a crap in artists mouth with vile comments like that.
    applepieguy
  • Reply 9 of 10
    tswiers said:
    When I went to the paypal online store to purchase my annual Apple Music subscription for $99 I found out that if I used my paypal credit account to pay with, I got a instant discount of $5. $94 for 12 months!
    Did you cancel your monthly subscription before applying the code in your iTunes account?
    oldbluegmc50