Apple Watch 'Series 1' gets updated CPU, price drop to $269

Posted:
in Apple Watch edited September 2016
In introducing Apple Watch Series 2 at Wednesday's special event, Apple expectedly dropped the price of its original Apple Watch to $269, keeping the "Series 1" device in the lineup as an entry-level offering.

Like the Apple Watch Series 2, the Apple Watch Series 1 shares a design borrowed from the original Apple Watch, but includes a new dual-core processor and GPU package that allows for greater app performance.

Missing from the Series 1 are new seals and internal design features that make Apple Watch Series 2 "swim-proof." The updated original also lacks the new, brighter display that ships with Series 2.

Well-connected analyst Ming-Chi Kuo predicted the rebranded Apple Watch Series 1 version earlier this year.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    $269 is still too much for Gen 1 watch. Should have been $199 tops. $80 is not really enough of a difference for the premium advancements made on Series 2. Oh well, it gives them some place to go for the holidays which should make the Gen 1 watch really popular.
    Gymkhana
  • Reply 2 of 9
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    mac_128 said:
    $269 is still too much for Gen 1 watch. Should have been $199 tops. $80 is not really enough of a difference for the premium advancements made on Series 2. Oh well, it gives them some place to go for the holidays which should make the Gen 1 watch really popular.
    If the Series 1 was $199 it would be too easy decision to buy it.
    But with a $269 price you have to think twice about getting the Series 2 for just $100 more.

Apple's goal isn't to sell as many cheap watches as possible.

Pretty sure these will reach $199 by the holidays. 
    I'm pretty sure you're prediction is wrong.
    SpamSandwichDeelron
  • Reply 3 of 9
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    mac_128 said:
    Thanksgiving...for sure. Got my Sport at $249 last year on Black Friday. I bet Best Buy will drop the price to $199 by Xmas!
    edited September 2016 Gymkhana
  • Reply 4 of 9
    i wonder if i wait about 3 months and "break" my watch gen 1 and use my apple care ill get it replaced with a new series 1 dual core since thats all i care about
  • Reply 5 of 9
    Nothing to entice me to buy a series 2, but respectable incremental update. Just wish the series 2 had included a camera - I'm aware I'm the only one on this website who wants that!
  • Reply 6 of 9
    mac_128 said:
    Remember, it's not quite a Gen 1 product. They upgraded the processor, so it's not the same watch. Series 1 =/= Gen 1.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    The 2nd gen is quite appealing now. Much needed improvements all around.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    mac_128 said:
    As noted many times, the product is not Gen 1 - as it has the updated CPU for significantly better performance.  Apple has never taken the decision early in a product lifecycle to discount that product down to where it is not considered having premium value.

And, it does allow some limited promotions by retailers to go down to $199 or so.