Apple debuts $159 AirPods wireless earbuds with W1 wireless chip, 5 hours of battery life

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
As rumored, Apple at its special event on Wednesday introduced a wireless headphones called AirPods, which come packed with advanced technology like a custom wireless chip, beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, infrared sensors and more.

Debuted onstage by Apple SVP of Worldwide Marketing Phil Schiller, AirPods look like a pair of EarPods minus the cable promises. Inside is Apple's custom W1 wireless chip, which affords a fast and robust connection while keeping efficiency good for five hours of use.

To help save on power, AirPods can sense when they are inserted into a user's ears thanks to embedded infrared sensors, turning the device on and off when needed.

Sound performance should also be top notch with beam-forming speakers that work with accelerometers that detect vibrations in a user's skull to minimize background noise. The motion sensors are also used to activate Siri by double-tapping on either AirPod.

Like other wireless earbud designs, AirPods come with a carrying case that doubles as a recharging station with a battery good for 24 hours of listening. Popping AirPods in their case for 15 minutes yields more than 3 hours of up time, according to Apple. Opening the case top triggers a pairing operation that connects to iPhone, Apple Watch and, thanks to iCloud syncing, other devices linked to a user's Apple account.

AirPods ship in October for $159.
nolamacguysockrolidkevin kee

Comments

• Reply 1 of 113
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Ouch on the price but a lot of tech in there....oops, it fell out, over the cliff. wink 
    edited September 2016 frankieirelandGymkhanaroger wade
  • Reply 2 of 113
    Way more to them than I expected, and way cheaper.  Ordering as soon as they're available...
    icoco3applesauce007SpamSandwichTurboPGTnolamacguyration alsockrolidkevin keewatto_cobraschlack
  • Reply 3 of 113
    Apple gets it right, again...no loopy neck wires, charging in the box, able to use one at a time. If you have to have music doing anything, they look worth it! :)
    icoco3propodration alsockrolidkevin keeuraharawatto_cobraschlack
  • Reply 4 of 113
    I would pay an extra $40 if I could get these in Jet Black to match my new iPhone.
    leptonnolamacguysockrolidkevin keenetmagethepixeldocmejsricuraharawatto_cobrarezwits
  • Reply 5 of 113
    I think I'll stick with my $20 ones. http://amzn.to/2cassfE
    Gymkhanaroger wade
  • Reply 6 of 113
    How much and only 5 hours of battery usage!
    freshmakercnocbuiGymkhanaroger wade
  • Reply 7 of 113
    Would love an in ear version too. That EarPod design just does not like my ears at all. Constantly falls out. But, this is extremely impressive and I can't wait to see how they work. Great price too, I was expecting way more than that.
    frankiesockrolidkevin keedewmewatto_cobradws-2tokyojimuschlack
  • Reply 8 of 113
    sog35 said:
    icoco3 said:
    Ouch on the price but a lot of tech in there....oops, it fell out, off the cliff. wink 
    I'm sure there be thousands of accessories available to connect the two pods together
    Quick fix I thought of was granny glasses holders.  You remember those..... wink

And, who is disliking just to dislike?
    edited September 2016 sockrolidkevin keebsenka
  • Reply 9 of 113
    These will purely be a relaxing listening experience. Anyone trying to use these in any kind of movement activity will be thoroughly disappointed with how quickly they lose them. Not upgrading from my 6s to the 7 most likely but definitely want these so long as they work with all iOS10 devices (as they should but didn't see it mentioned).
    icoco3sockrolid
  • Reply 10 of 113
    Lol $159 and 5 hours of usage.  I'm sure these things will just go flying off the shelves
    frankiecnocbuiGymkhanawigginroger wade
  • Reply 11 of 113
    These will be a tough sell. Especially when you can get three versions of Beats Wireless in roughly that price range that have volume/FF/Pause/Play controls, connect each bud to the other by a cord, have over-the-ear clasps to hold it in place, and longer battery life. Assuming of course that they share the new 'Connect' feature without having to fuss around with a BT list in Settings.
    Gymkhanaroger waderevenant
  • Reply 12 of 113
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Nort said:
    I would pay an extra $40 if I could get these in Jet Black to match my new iPhone.
    Paint it for less!
    roger waderevenant
  • Reply 13 of 113
    2oh12oh1 Posts: 503member
    The fact that the earpods hold 5 hours of charge and the case holds 24 hours of charge, and both can be charged at the same time... that's brilliant. My only worry is about how easy it'll be to lose one of them. At one point during the presentation, Phil showed another product ( a sports earbuds thing?) where the two sides were connected by a short wire. For individual earpieces, that seems smart. I assume a future generation of Earpods will have some sort of GPS so that if you lose one, your iPhone can find it.
  • Reply 14 of 113
    These will purely be a relaxing listening experience. Anyone trying to use these in any kind of movement activity will be thoroughly disappointed with how quickly they lose them. Not upgrading from my 6s to the 7 most likely but definitely want these so long as they work with all iOS10 devices (as they should but didn't see it mentioned).
    Glasses holders will work so you don't loose them.  Mine wired ones always fall out so would need the retainers so they don't go missing.  The in case charging is a great feature.
  • Reply 15 of 113
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Cheaper than I thought they would be.
    sockrolidkevin keewatto_cobradws-2
  • Reply 16 of 113
    tzterri said:
    I'll stick with $0 Apple headset come with the device.
    Gymkhanaroger wadeurahara
  • Reply 17 of 113
    Seems there is a possibility here of using them as hearing aids. I know that the hearing aid industry would object and say that they are the only ones that can supply hearing aids as "medical devices". We'll see what develops.
    nolamacguykevin keeentropys
  • Reply 18 of 113
    2oh1 said:
    The fact that the earpods hold 5 hours of charge and the case holds 24 hours of charge, and both can be charged at the same time... that's brilliant. My only worry is about how easy it'll be to lose one of them. At one point during the presentation, Phil showed another product ( a sports earbuds thing?) where the two sides were connected by a short wire. For individual earpieces, that seems smart. I assume a future generation of Earpods will have some sort of GPS so that if you lose one, your iPhone can find it.
    GPS in Airpod? Are you nut? GPS can track up to 50 ft accuracy...what about also include the speakers so you can "Find My Airpot"
  • Reply 19 of 113
    2oh1 said:
    I prefer wireless buds that are connected by a wire. That way when you take them out of your ears they can still rest around your neck. I'll be keeping the JBL ones I have. Sound is good and they hold a charge for 8 hours.
    roger wadeanantksundaram
  • Reply 20 of 113
    tzterri said:
    I'm sure those sounds amazing.
    nolamacguyhomiekevin keeroger wadedoozydozenwatto_cobra