Apple quietly doubles iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 storage, lowers iPad Pro prices

Posted:
in iPad edited September 2016
While not announced onstage during Wednesday's iPhone event, Apple has quietly updated its iPad lineup specifications with storage buffs for iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4, and price drops for the top-of-the-line 9.7- and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models.

The changes were noted on Apple's dedicated iPad webpage shortly after CEO Tim Cook closed today's event, which itself was packed with announcements regarding new iPhones, Apple Watch models, AirPods wireless headphones and more.

As seen in the comparison chart above, Apple is bumping the base storage capacity of iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 4 up from to 32GB, while at the same time eliminating the 64GB option. Configuration options are now limited to 32GB and 128GB. The change does not affect pricing, meaning customers get twice as much storage for their dollar.

Apple did, however, modify the price structure of its iPad Pro series. Only certain configurations benefit from the price drop, starting with a $50 reduction for both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular iterations of the 128GB 9.7-inch iPad Pro. The 256GB versions get a more substantial price cut of $100.

Apple's largest slate, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, gets the same treatment as its smaller sibling. Prices of both Wi-Fi and Wi-Fi + Cellular models with 128GB of storage are reduced by $50, while maxed out 256GB configurations shed $100 off previous list pricing.

Apple's decision to cut iPad pricing comes after the company announced new storage tiers for iPhone. Starting with iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus, Apple is bumping base storage allotments for its smartphone lineup up to 32GB, with a maximum of 256GB available for an extra $200.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 24
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Nice!
    1983SpamSandwich
  • Reply 2 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Good news!

I'm ready to buy a brand new Jet Black iPad Pro 12.9 hopefully soon! Bring it on! :#
  • Reply 3 of 24
    hentaiboyhentaiboy Posts: 1,252member
    Interesting. So I wonder what retailers are going to do with their 16 GB stock?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 4 of 24
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    apple ][ said:
    Good news!

I'm ready to buy a brand new Jet Black iPad Pro 12.9 hopefully soon! Bring it on! :#
    At 256GB...absolutely!
  • Reply 5 of 24
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    fallenjt said:
    apple ][ said:
    Good news!

At 256GB...absolutely!
    Of course!

The last iPad I bought was 128GB, so next time around, 256 is the obvious choice.
  • Reply 6 of 24
    hentaiboy said:
    Interesting. So I wonder what retailers are going to do with their 16 GB stock?

Apple usually offers a free return policy in situations like this.

• Reply 7 of 24
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Still pretty expensive considering they are effectively just cell phones with a big screen.    I don't mean that in a negative way as I use my iPad constantly, it just reflects the narrow usefulness of the device.

Gymkhana
  • Reply 8 of 24
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 404member
    Would be nice if the chart actually said which models they are.
    icoco3Gymkhana
  • Reply 9 of 24
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    wizard69 said:
    Still pretty expensive considering they are effectively just cell phones with a big screen.    I don't mean that in a negative way as I use my iPad constantly, it just reflects the narrow usefulness of the device.

Huh? Just? My grandparents and parents use it 3h a day at least and they've tried the other Android crap and they know the difference.
  • Reply 10 of 24
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    I've been spoiled by the 9.7 display and so can't stomach the 12.9. (Good thing the iPhone 7 will match the 9.7!)
  • Reply 11 of 24
    What happened to any info about Mac hardware upgrades. As an apple user since 1983 with so many equipment upgrades over the years, I am totally disappointed...no words about upgrades especially Mac Pro level. I have hardware and software that I have been waiting for updates...nothing today and given the upcoming Mac operating system change and no hardware upgrade...it seems to me this is the correct time to move to the other platform.
    tallguycropr
  • Reply 12 of 24
    dronm said:
    What happened to any info about Mac hardware upgrades...
    This was an iPhone/Watch event. iPhone, because this is the time of year when Apple announces the new iPhones, and has been for the last few years. Typically, Apple doesn't announce other products during an iPhone announcement. As the Watch is an extension of the iPhone, it's not surprising that it would also be covered at the phone Event. At the iPad event next month there will probably be no iPhone or Mac announcements. So don't get your hopes up.

dronm said:
    it seems to me this is the correct time to move to the other platform.
    Buh-bye.
  • Reply 13 of 24
    cpsro said:
    I've been spoiled by the 9.7 display and so can't stomach the 12.9. (Good thing the iPhone 7 will match the 9.7!)
    Was trying out a 12.9 at my local Apple store. Was on the verge of buying when I happened to set it down next to a 9.7 running the same video. The bigger iPad literally paled in comparison. Decided to wait for the next gen 12.9 in the hope that it gets the same beautiful display.

• Reply 14 of 24
    This is very disappointing to me. I'm dying for an iPad Mini with Pencil support (think "intelligent Moleskine notebook"), but Apple has been on a more-or-less every-other-year update cycle with the Mini. I'm sure it's inevitable, but wasn't really expecting it this year. Oh well.
    xzu
  • Reply 15 of 24
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    Price cut was best thing today.   They should have cut the iPads by another $100.

Gymkhana
  • Reply 16 of 24
    Given Apples consumption of DRAM I am not surprised they upgraded the iPads to have double the storage options, this is a smart move. Cloud is great until you don't have WiFi, can't get a carrier signal or just want to bring a bunch of content with you on a flight.
  • Reply 17 of 24
    Can't see any price reduction here in the UK ? :(

Apple really screwed the UK with there prices.

The airpods are £159, were as they are $159. Great.
  • Reply 18 of 24
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    smarky said:
    Can't see any price reduction here in the UK ?

Pay me shipping and local tax and they are yours for $159...

This is practice has been in place since the 90's when I lived over there.  Change the $ sign to a £ sign on all prices.  Could never figure that out.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 19 of 24
    smarky said:
    Can't see any price reduction here in the UK ? :(

A delayed Brexit punishment no doubt.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 24

icoco3 said:
    smarky said:
    Can't see any price reduction here in the UK ?

Pay me shipping and local tax and they are yours for $159...

This is practice has been in place since the 90's when I lived over there.  Change the $ sign to a £ sign on all prices.  Could never figure that out.
    In the Netherlands they cost € 179,-. Also much higher considering the rate of € vs $. Our punishment for not living in the US...
    edited September 2016 icoco3