Jet black iPhone 7 potentially vulnerable to scratching, Apple admits

Posted:
in iPhone
People considering the jet black versions of the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus should be careful, as those options are more prone to scuffing and scratching, Apple notes on its website.

"The high-gloss finish of the Jet Black iPhone 7 is achieved through a precision nine-step anodization and polishing process," a disclaimer near the bottom of the phones' store page reads. "Its surface is equally as hard as other anodized Apple products; however, its high shine may show fine micro-abrasions with use. If you are concerned about this, we suggest you use one of the many cases available to protect your iPhone."

The same problem isn't mentioned for the other four iPhone 7 colors -- black, silver, gold, and rose gold -- which are all matte rather than glossy.

Until now Apple has been veering away from glossy materials. The iPhone 4 and 4S, which both used glass backs, were prone not just to scuffing and scratching but to cracking if an owner dropped them from a sufficient height.

Preorders for the iPhone 7 and 7 Plus start on Sept. 9, and the devices will ship just a week later, Sept. 16. Prices will range from $649 for a 32-gigabyte iPhone 7 to $969 for a 256-gigabyte 7 Plus. Notably, jet black will only be available on 128- and 256-gigabyte models.

Some other features of the phones include faster processors, better cameras, pressure-sensitive home buttons, and better water resistance. Apart from being bigger, the 7 Plus also includes a dual-lens camera.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    im getting the jet black...love the damn thing... simple transparent skin will solve the problem to a great extent
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 64
    Thats why you buy a case....My first thought when I saw this phone was it looks really shiny and that most people will put a case on it anyways so it won't matter. Not that my findings are the gold standard, but I really don't know a person who doesn't have a case on their phone (iPhone or Android). 
  • Reply 3 of 64
    High gloss coatings on cars are also subject to scratching. Who knew?

At least they're saying so up front to avoid idiots filing class action suits over such trivialities.
    edited September 2016 Technickeltycho24calistevehDeelronmagman1979jony0watto_cobramacseekermike1
  • Reply 4 of 64

im getting the jet black...love the damn thing... simple transparent skin will solve the problem to a great extent
    It really is gorgeous, isn't it?
    leviwatto_cobranetmage
  • Reply 5 of 64
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Beauty comes with a price!

I had better not see any dumbasses complaining about how they're unhappy because their Jet Black iPhone eventually gets a few minor scratches on it.

Put it in a case, or keep it naked, your choice, just don't whine about it, especially when it's done out of ignorance.

Hell, I'll buy a Jet Black iPad Pro 12.9", if and when it comes, I am not worried about any scratches on that super glossy finish.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    If I remember correctly, the iPhone 3G and 3GS also had kind of a black shiny case (albeit plastic), and I remember people bitching about it scratching too. I'm sure this will be no different. Every iPhone release someone has to stir up controversy over something stupid. I'm sure there will be at least one or two for iPhone 7. 
    caliDeelronwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 64
    Shouldnt phone prices in general be going down? $1000 a bit too much.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Hello ! Hardly seen iphone or other phone users who carry phone without case/cover. I use transparent case, No worry of scratch.
  • Reply 9 of 64
    I love that jet black phone. The issue will be finding a good clear case. So far, I haven't seen one that hasn't turned yellow after a few months of use. 
  • Reply 10 of 64
    macxpress said:
    Thats why you buy a case....My first thought when I saw this phone was it looks really shiny and that most people will put a case on it anyways so it won't matter. Not that my findings are the gold standard, but I really don't know a person who doesn't have a case on their phone (iPhone or Android). 
    I've gone caseless and never looked back!! It's a shame to cover up such a beautiful piece of art/technology. I get a new iPhone every year and don't sweat it when I get a little scratch or two. Can't wait for my Jet Black iPhone 7!!
    macxpressfallenjtwatto_cobraicoco3
  • Reply 11 of 64
    That shiny black iPhone 7 plus sure looks purdy, ceaseless is the way to go, nothing last forever so why spend the extra money. 
  • Reply 12 of 64
    macxpress said:
    I've gone caseless and never looked back!! It's a shame to cover up such a beautiful piece of art/technology. I get a new iPhone every year and don't sweat it when I get a little scratch or two. Can't wait for my Jet Black iPhone 7!!
    Nothing wrong with that! Go for it!!!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 13 of 64
    For that price, it had better come with TWO cameras & be the only phone on the planet w/ a 256gb SSD!!!

oh wait.
    mrboba1caliboopthesnootstevehjkichlinewatto_cobranetmagespheric
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Is this surprising? This is why apple went from slate to space gray in 2013. Glad they're being up front about this because jet black is GORGEOUS.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 64
    Well...my dad paid about $400 for a color TV set in 1970, and the TV I just bought cost about $400 too. Shouldn't prices on TV sets be coming down?
    mrboba1calistevehDeelronjkichlinewatto_cobranetmagespheric
  • Reply 16 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

It really is gorgeous, isn't it?
    It's beyond gorgeous!
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 64
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member

apple ][ said:
    Beauty comes with a price!

I had better not see any dumbasses complaining about how they're unhappy because their Jet Black iPhone eventually gets a few minor scratches on it.

Put it in a case, or keep it naked, your choice, just don't whine about it, especially when it's done out of ignorance.

Hell, I'll buy a Jet Black iPad Pro 12.9", if and when it comes, I am not worried about any scratches on that super glossy finish.
    New jet black Samsung devices coming soon!
    rbonnercalinolamacguywatto_cobranetmagespheric
  • Reply 18 of 64
    I wouldn't worry about this.  All glossy surfaces show micro-abrasions.  A case won't stop that, either.  You will be able to tell exactly where the case touches the phone after only a short time.   I don't think the finish will scratch or wear through to bare metal with normal wear and tear.  If you are rough on phones, you might want to choose carefully, though.  If you use a case, you better be very careful to make sure the case and the phone are clean often.  One grain of sand or some other abrasive particle will ruin any finish.  
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 19 of 64
    Have never understood this one, rarely see anything over than the front of my phone, have had it out if it's case for literally minutes since last year.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    rbonner said:
    Have never understood this one, rarely see anything over than the front of my phone, have had it out if it's case for literally minutes since last year.
    Clear cases? I have one so I can see the phone.