AppleCare+ gains $29 iPhone screen swaps, makes $99 fee universal for other repairs

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
In tandem with announcing the iPhone 7 on Wednesday, Apple also revised its AppleCare+ plans for iPhones, instituting a $29 screen replacement option but forcing all customers to pay $99 for any other form of accident repair.

Previously, owners of the iPhone SE or pre-iPhone 6s devices were charged $79 for each of the two accidents covered under AppleCare+, regardless of what the issue was. iPhone 6s owners were already paying a $99 fee.

The screen replacement option could save some customers a significant amount of money, since cracked or scratched displays are one of the more common problems with smartphones.

In addition to offering cheaper accident repairs, AppleCare+ extends general warranty and support coverage to two years. Normally iPhones include just a year of defect repairs and replacements, plus 90 days of support.

For the iPhone 7, AppleCare+ will cost $129. The phone itself starts preorders on Friday, and will ship Sept. 16. Interestingly, while the iPhone 7 is designed to offer a measure of water resistance, water damage is not covered under AppleCare+.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    65026502 Posts: 380member
    Citi's double cash master card will extend the warranty for 24 additional months. Not sure if it covers accidental damage.
    ktappe
  • Reply 2 of 11
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    I broke my iPhone 6 Plus TWICE, so am definitely buying AppleCare
  • Reply 3 of 11
    While it does not technically cover water damage, I have never once seen a person with AppleCare+ coverage given a problem over water damage.  It was always processed as accidental damage with the normal deductible. I actually was in the Apple Store with a friend who's phone sustained water damage when across from us was a teenager with the same problem.  The teenager's Genius even had a canned joke about how "iPhones are like alligators in that they love to jump into the water."  Both phones were processed as accidental damage incidents.  Furthermore, everyone I have spoken to at Apple has told me that water damage is covered under accidental damage.
    edited September 2016 redgeminipa
  • Reply 4 of 11
    I wonder those people who are the first ones to buy the phone and put it through the blender buy the AppleCare option?  Hmmm....
  • Reply 5 of 11
    Just be careful, folks. You have the equivalent of a fairly costly computer in your pocket, so act accordingly.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Seems like a pretty simple way to save some cash if you have water damage would be to shatter your phone screen 
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I'm pretty sure AppleCare+ includes water damage:

...ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device...

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html

redgeminipa
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Seems like a pretty simple way to save some cash if you have water damage would be to shatter your phone screen 
    Uhhh, they can tell when they replace your screen and find liquid damage. Then it's $99. That's a lot cheaper than the out of warranty replacement cost which probably will be around $350-400 depending on the device. 
  • Reply 9 of 11
    aross99 said:
    I'm pretty sure AppleCare+ includes water damage:

...ADH coverage only applies to an operational or mechanical failure caused by an accident from handling that is the result of an unexpected and unintentional external event (e.g. drops and damage caused by liquid contact) that arises from your normal daily usage of the Covered Device as intended for such Covered Device...

http://www.apple.com/legal/sales-support/applecare/applecareplus/docs/applecareplusnaen.html

Anybody else notice they removed the paragraph about not covering cosmetic damage? This is a big issue with the watch. Previously, scratched crystals are not covered, not even if you wanted to pay for the repair. Maybe they changed their minds. 
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Furthermore, everyone I have spoken to at Apple has told me that water damage is covered under accidental damage.
    I'm pretty sure I saw an official statement to the effect at one time.  I'm old, so I might be misremembering, though.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    Last week I was at a water park and I had a LifeProof Case (Fre) for my iP6. Less then 30 minutes while splashing and shallow submersion - the LifeProof case leaked. I attempted to let the iP6 dry for approx. 3 days but when we returned home it still was not turning on. (yes, i even attemped in rice too). Lifeproof offices were closed for Monday (Labor Day) so headed to the Apple store since I had AppleCare+. Without any questions, they did some tests and then replaced it with a new iPhone 6 for the $79 (+ tax). So in the end, I payed $99 (if I recall) for AppleCare+ and $79 for replacement = $178 (+ tax). It was the first time I had to have a phone replaced, so in the end AppleCare+ was worth the cost. On a side note, I'm still disappointed with LifeProof. I've been LP customer from the beginning (I think iP4 days) and this is the first time I've ever had an issue with my actual device. I've had problems in the past with cases and without hesitation, LP will replace with a new case on the spot. But this time they basically said there's nothing they can do as its in the Warranty not to replace devices - Whats the point of having a waterproof case?!?!? One more thing...LP offers a "WPP" (Water Protection Program) that would replace your device if damaged. But after all these years, I just found out that the only way you are supported with the WPP is if you purchase a LP case from a Verizon Wireless store (Corporate) that contains a registration card that will register you within the WPP. Sorry for the longwinded comment, had to get off my chest...
    edited September 2016