Sprint & T-Mobile offer free iPhone 7 with trade-in, Sprint knocks $100 off 256GB model

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
Looking to lure subscribers, Sprint and T-Mobile each announced special iPhone 7 promotions on Thursday, in both cases including a free 32-gigabyte model after a sufficient trade-in.

The T-Mobile deal, beginning Friday at the same time as Apple preorders, requires that people trade in an iPhone 6 or 6s, earning up to $650 in credit to be spread across monthly bills for two years. People wanting extra storage or a 7 Plus will have to pay the difference, and cancelling service before the two-year mark will force customers to pay a device's full cost.

The Sprint offer is only slightly more flexible, allowing people to trade in not just an iPhone 6 or 6s (including Plus models) but alternately a Samsung Galaxy S7. Otherwise, customers are still expected to stay on for two years and get paid in credit.

Sprint is also offering a separate $100 discount off 256-gigabyte iPhone 7 models, bringing their cost down to $749. That pricing will only be valid during the preorder phase, and then only until supplies are exhausted.

The iPhone 7 and 7 Plus will ship on Sept. 16. Both feature upgrades like faster processors, increased storage, and better displays and cameras. The 7 Plus includes a second camera for 2x optical zoom.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    pdppdp Posts: 1member
    T-mobile: remaining balance due in full, not full retail cost.
    doozydozenDeelron
  • Reply 2 of 13
    I imagine the trade in device needs to be fully paid off to take advantage of the offer.

I, for example, financed the iPhone 6s from TMO a year ago. It's the current industry standard 2 year financing meaning I still owe them half of the original value of the iPhone. Their yearly upgrade program, Jump, allows me to trade in the device after 50% is paid, which takes 12 months. My intuition makes me believe that I cannot partake in this newly announced plan. I will contact TMO soon for conformation. 

Does anyone one else know?
  • Reply 3 of 13
    from T-Mobile:
    "There’s some fine print to be aware of with this trade-in offer. Your iPhone 6, 6s, 6 Plus, or 6s Plus must be one that you own, it must turn on, and it can’t be water-logged or have a broken screen. "

http://www.tmonews.com/2016/09/t-mobile-offer-will-get-free-32gb-iphone-7-trade-iphone-6-higher/

doozydozenDeelron
  • Reply 4 of 13
    Yup, you got to fully own your device, 100% paid off and unlocked to partake in the trade in.
  • Reply 5 of 13
    So do you get a deal if you trade in an iPhone 5S?  
  • Reply 6 of 13
    The bad: You have to go with T-Mobile or Sprint for service.
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 13
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Yes you do. You can get an iPhone 7 for just $250 with your working condition 5s trade-in. 
    edited September 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 13
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    Bad for you perhaps, great for me. 
    doozydozenDeelronbigpics
  • Reply 9 of 13
    bells said:
    Bad for you perhaps, great for me. 
    Bad for most people outside of a metropolitan area.
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 13
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,034member
    T-Mobile has been great so far for me.  Very good service in the DC suburbs. Free Lyft rides.  Free subway sandwich last Tuesday.  Free data and texting on my trip to Japan.  Free iPhone 7 now.  What did AT&T ever do for me?
    doozydozenDeelronbigpics
  • Reply 11 of 13
    williamh said:
    T-Mobile has been great so far for me.  Very good service in the DC suburbs. Free Lyft rides.  Free subway sandwich last Tuesday.  Free data and texting on my trip to Japan.  Free iPhone 7 now.  What did AT&T ever do for me?
    Well, I can't say what AT&T did for you, but what they did for me was having a usable network. Can't say the same for T-Mobile. Likely switching back if AT&T will cover the switch cost. Damn shame too, because T-Mobile has faster data, they just have a dead spot every 2-300 meters.
    icoco3
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    For family of 4 or more, yes it's good. For 2 lines...it's way too expensive. $120/2 lines? That's robbing.
  • Reply 13 of 13
    Llibertyforall said:
    Laughed at.  :D