Apple to reopen in-store iPhone 7 reservations on Sept. 17

Posted:
in iPhone
In the U.S., Apple has temporarily called a halt to in-store shopping reservations for the iPhone 7 -- but those will reopen at 8 a.m. on Sept. 17, potentially giving people who missed launch-day preorders another shot at getting a device within the next two weeks.

The option lets people reserve an iPhone online, then pick it up at an Apple store within a fixed 30-minute window. Otherwise, people wanting a device at retail may have to line up at an Apple or third-party vendor's store on the morning of Sept. 16, hours in advance of the company's 8 a.m. go time.

In the U.K., meanwhile, reservations will resume on Sept. 17 at 6 a.m. Canadians can still make reservations for Sept. 16, but some models may be out of stock, depending on the store a person chooses for pickup. Slow presales may be attributable to the cost of an iPhone in the country -- prices range from $899 CAD all the way to $1,309 CAD for a 256-gigabyte iPhone 7 Plus.

Delivery times for American online orders are already stretching out to 2 to 3 weeks, with some potentially arriving as late as Sept. 28.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    This is looking like an odd release compared to earlier years. Perhaps some last-minute component issue?
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 2 of 20

Heh, heh, heh...

I'd be willing to bet that the site will be jammed at 8:00 AM on the 17th -- a Saturday!

Likely, we'll have to make a reservation to make a reservation  :(

So easy to solve -- just get this big roll of numbered tickets...

• Reply 3 of 20
    I ordered the Jet Black iPhone (256g)  last night within 10 minutes after pre-order stated. It will still take 4-6 weeks before they ship, according to the purchase order.  
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Everything probably sold out by now, Samsung Galaxy Bombphones are being recalled...and what's the stock market's reaction? AAPL stock low for the day (so far) $104.15. Yep, it doesn't get any better than this. LMAO!
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 20
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    gatorguy said:
    This is looking like an odd release compared to earlier years. Perhaps some last-minute component issue?
    I guess it depends on one’s personal bias. Is the iPhone 7 in short supply because of component issues or because the demand is high? Did Apple choose not to release weekend sales figures because it knows the iPhone 7 will flop or because they are already sold out (theorized by Jim Cramer)? You can put the spin on it any way you like depending on your personality (optimist or pessimist) and your bias toward or against Apple in general. So which camp are you in today?
    nolamacguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 20

Heh, heh, heh...

I'd be willing to bet that the site will be jammed at 8:00 AM on the 17th -- a Saturday!

Likely, we'll have to make a reservation to make a reservation  :(

So easy to solve -- just get this big roll of numbered tickets...

They could have a Touch ID-based lottery system. Press on your iPhone to enter.
  • Reply 7 of 20
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    I guess it depends on one’s personal bias. Is the iPhone 7 in short supply because of component issues or because the demand is high? Did Apple choose not to release weekend sales figures because it knows the iPhone 7 will flop or because they are already sold out (theorized by Jim Cramer)? You can put the spin on it any way you like depending on your personality (optimist or pessimist) and your bias toward or against Apple in general. So which camp are you in today?
    Does not matter one way or the other to me. My 2 year contract is up in late October. As long as I have a new 256 7+ in flat black before Christmas I will be happy. Joining the monthly plan at that time. New every year until I retire. Then we will see about keeping longer than a year again.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 20
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    First world problem, can't get a new phone the day it is released while you already have a good phone, the horror.
    lkruppwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 20
    spice-boy said:
    First world problem, can't get a new phone the day it is released while you already have a good phone, the horror.
    And what business of that is yours?

A first world problem, that you have the excessive time to comment on how others shop.

No sympathy for third world problems.  It's 2016, they've had just as much time as everyone else to figure out plumbing and picking off the fleas.

edited September 2016
  • Reply 10 of 20
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    Jet black phone was out of stock immediately. Seems like a supply issue to me. Or Apple didn't adequately forecast demand for these new black models.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    spice-boy said:
    WWHD... What Will Hillary Do?

SpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 20
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    Jet black phone was out of stock immediately. Seems like a supply issue to me. Or Apple didn't adequately forecast demand for these new black models.
    Jet Black is certainly a supply issue, it's unlikely for Apple to misforecast its 'feature model' demand.

But, as Ikrupp said, people will spin theories around it. Already twitter's full of "it's all Apple marketing ploy".
  • Reply 13 of 20
    spice-boy said:
    WWHD... What Will Hillary Do?

She'd erase more emails.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    lkrupp said:
    gatorguy said:
    Me personally? Neither, it's an observation. 
  • Reply 15 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    I had a jet black 256gb lined up in the app within a minute of the store going online, for delivery in late September, but communication between Apple and AT&T screwed up everything for the night. Security text messages never arrived, and repeated attempts to order didn't even get that far. Today ordering works fine, but I'm not into waiting until November.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    walter77 said:
    I ordered the Jet Black iPhone (256g)  last night within 10 minutes after pre-order stated. It will still take 4-6 weeks before they ship, according to the purchase order.  
    I assume you're talking about the Plus model, because the iPhone 7 had a much earlier ship date even 10 minutes after preorders began,
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 17 of 20
    I ordered a Plus in black at 6am, so 3 hours after launch (ET), and the delivery date is Oct 4-10.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Delays of 2-3 weeks?? this is marketing BS to get people to buy! This is not the first time when they launch an iPhone and they know how many they need to satisfy the initial demand. They are jus a$h0les as they usually are! 
  • Reply 19 of 20
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    bluefire1 said:
    walter77 said:
    I assume you're talking about the Plus model, because the iPhone 7 had a much earlier ship date even 10 minutes after preorders began,
    YES
  • Reply 20 of 20
    I bought a note 7 after iphone 6S plus... hate it. Video editing is awful, SD card loads videos and photos slowly, it glitches on 4k filming, its tacky and unpolished with 3rd party apps crashing, freezing (despite battery issues). I'm now considering refunding my note 7 instead of exchanging and getting a iphone 7 plus 256gb - Pay the extra $100.