Tim Cook email response tells sender to 'stay tuned' for Mac refresh

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple CEO Tim Cook has allegedly returned an email from a concerned consumer, and suggests that there are imminent changes in the pipeline.

A MacRumors reader emailed Cook, asking if the company was "pulling away" from the Mac line.

"I love the Mac and we are very committed to it," said Cook in the email. "Stay tuned."

MacRumors believes the email to be from Apple, if not necessarily from Cook himself, based on examined email headers.

In 2015, Apple's iOS-centric event was held on Sept. 9. OS X El Capitan was released on Sept. 30, 2015, with the 4k 21.5-inch iMac revealed about two weeks later on Oct. 13.

MacOS Sierra will have a consumer release on Sept. 20, less than a full year after El Capitan.

MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek

A possible appearance during the next Mac refresh is a new MacBook pro with an OLED strip replacing the function keys. The new machine is likely to have Thunderbolt 3, USB 3.1 Generation 2, and an AMD "Polaris" GPU.

Less clear for a new MacBook Pro is what CPU Apple has chosen. A quad-core Skylake processor for the machine is now available, but rumors peg new Kaby Lake processors beyond the first two official releases suitable for the MacBook Pro now at manufacturers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    Probably October.
  • Reply 2 of 58
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Mac Pro please, a new Mac Mini and *hopefully* Apple TV?
    oldbluegmc50xzuargonaut
  • Reply 3 of 58
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,625member
     I wouldn't have expected any different kind of reply. 
    entropysclexman
  • Reply 4 of 58
    It was pretty obvious (to me) that an event in October, maybe November should be expected. The event was only iPhone and Apple Watch. The iPads and Macs were absent. Or I at least hope Apple isn't waiting until January for a refresh; talk about suicide.

I just wish the Macbook Pro would return to Nvidia chips, they are much better for mobile applications.
  • Reply 5 of 58
    Hopefully the entire line (edit: the Mac line) gets fixed up. Don't piecemeal us at this point. We've been waiting for everything for long enough, we should be able to choose based on what sort of form factor we need, not picking one because it was just announced while having to compromise on another factor.
    edited September 2016 tallguyfrankiepalominebuzdots
  • Reply 6 of 58
    seankill said:
    It was pretty obvious (to me) that an event in October, maybe November should be expected. The event was only iPhone and Apple Watch. The iPads and Macs were absent. Or I at least hope Apple isn't waiting until January for a refresh; talk about suicide.

I just wish the Macbook Pro would return to Nvidia chips, they are much better for mobile applications.
    Apple quietly updated the storage on the iPads. I don't expect anything on iPads until the spring.
    dws-2macxpresstallguy
  • Reply 7 of 58
    dws-2dws-2 Posts: 276member
    Fascinating.
  • Reply 8 of 58
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Promises won't improve my compiling times.
    entropysasdasd
  • Reply 9 of 58
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I hope they add Lightning to their MacBook Pro replacing the headphone jack + SD card + 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports. A new iPhone and a new Mac should work out of the box with the iPhone's wired headphones WITHOUT a dongle.

In an ideal world there'd be a single global standard port (as small as Lightning: 1.5 mm), but until then at least we should have consistency. In a related matter it offends me most of the new Beats (besides the x) continue to have Micro USB rather than Lightning for charging. I detest Micro USB. That and comfort level are the two main things putting me off buying a set of Beats headphones. And I'd be able to swallow the price if they had noise cancellation quality parody with Bose. Mainly Lightning and comfort though. How many reviewers must say they are uncomfortable before Beats (Apple) listen. But that Micro USB—grrrrrr!! That's a minimum of a 12-month wait before Beats Solo and Beats Studio get Lightning.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 58
    Am just happy i dont read the comments on macrumors. What a lost site and lost audience... all soaked up in negativity. Sad. 
    tallest skilirelandmacxpresslenamonstrosityoldbluegmc50stevehasdasdRayz2016jomotion
  • Reply 11 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    I hefty Mac update will go a long way to make me excited about Apple product again. Don't get me wrong - I am a long time Apple user and I will be getting the iPhone7 which I am certain is the best smart phone out there, and I would not jump ship until things got REALLY bad (and a viable alternative presented itself) ... BUT... I find myself agreeing with this article. http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/08/technology/whats-really-missing-from-the-new-iphone-dazzle.html

oldbluegmc50
  • Reply 12 of 58
    It's all about the processors.   The sooner Apple moves to its own chips the better....
    tallguyjahajabrian greenpalomine
  • Reply 13 of 58
    I hope they release a 17" MBP for us die-hards still running w/ the last version that came in that size ('11). Yeah - not gonna happen. But a guy's gotta dream...
    oldbluegmc50baconstangurahara
  • Reply 14 of 58
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ireland said:
    I hope they add Lightning to their MacBook Pro replacing the headphone jack + SD card + 4 Thunderbolt 3 ports. A new iPhone and a new Mac should work out of the box with the iPhone's wired headphones WITHOUT a dongle. In an ideal world there'd be a single global standard port, but until then at least we should have consistency. In a related matter it offends me most of the new Beats (besides the x) have Micro USB ports. That and comfort level are the two main things putting me off buying a set of Beats headphones.
    I fully expect them to. Especially since they didn't offer any kind of adapter to use the Lightning headphones with anything else. The leaked photos of the MBP case show a blank spot there Lightning could go where the MagSafe connector  was, which is kind of perfect since Lightning is the de facto charging method throughout Apple's products.

I just can't imagine someone buying an iPhone 7 and new MBP, and being told they'll need an adapter (which does not yet exist) to use their Lightning headphones that came with their iPhone, with their Macs, much less if buy a brand new pair of Beats, or third party, Lightning headphones.

Right now is somebody asked how they would do that, Apple's only solution would be to use the 3.5mm adapter included in the box and buy a new pair of 3.5mm headphones, or use an old pair they may have. Apple really didn't think this whole thing out.
  • Reply 15 of 58
    macguimacgui Posts: 2,350member
    eriamjh said:
     I wouldn't have expected any different kind of reply. 
    Neither would I, but then I wouldn't have expected any reply.

seankill said:
    It was pretty obvious (to me) that an event in October, maybe November should be expected. 
    Yep. Typically, Apple doesn't mix and match different products at an Event. The phone and watch are connected, so it makes sense to see them together. Then there're iPads in October. There are notable exceptions of course. I'm not in the market for a new Mac, so November or January, doesn't matter to me. I do like to follow the 13" MBP line though, just in case.jahaja said:

Am just happy i dont read the comments on macrumors. What a lost site and lost audience... all soaked up in negativity. Sad. 
    That's just about any site in any category, including this one, though it's not as bad as MacRumors or BGR. It's as though making an objective positive statement about Apple or it's products can only mean you're a fanboi-sheeple lemming. Kidz. Can't reason with them, can't chase them like rats across the tundra.
    oldbluegmc50stompybrian greenfastasleep
  • Reply 16 of 58
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,052member
    I wouldn't translate "stay tuned" to "imminent." Not saying the updates aren't imminent, but I wouldn't conclude that from the response.
    edited September 2016 oldbluegmc50zoetmb
  • Reply 17 of 58
    spice-boyspice-boy Posts: 1,450member
    ooooh, please bring the fruit colored iMacs.....
    baconstangjahaja
  • Reply 18 of 58
    ireland said:

In an ideal world there'd be a single global standard port (as small as Lightning: 1.5 mm), but until then at least we should have consistency. In a related matter it offends me most of the new Beats (besides the x) continue to have Micro USB rather than Lightning for charging. I detest Micro USB. That and comfort level are the two main things putting me off buying a set of Beats headphones. And I'd be able to swallow the price if they had noise cancellation quality parody with Bose. Mainly Lightning and comfort though. How many reviewers must say they are uncomfortable before Beats (Apple) listen. But that Micro USB—grrrrrr!! That's a minimum of a 12-month wait before Beats Solo and Beats Studio get Lightning.
    i saw this -- Beats has three new W1-equipped headphones, but only one pair uses Lightning, the other two micro. it seems this is because the Lightning pair has a carrying case that plugs in, similar to the AirPods, while the other two don't and the micro plugs directly into the headphones.
  • Reply 19 of 58
    The iMac hasn't had a redesign in 4 years. I believe that's the longest the iMac has ever gone. If they got rid of the 3.5" hard drive, they could make it super thin. And I think it's time to bring the iPhone colors over.
    edited September 2016 asdasdfastasleep
  • Reply 20 of 58
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Stay tuned? MacTV set, guys!
    nolamacguystompy