Explosions prompt FAA to warn airline passengers against using Samsung Galaxy Note 7 in flight [u]

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2016
With just a week to go before Apple's jumbo-sized iPhone 7 Plus hits the market, its chief competitor --?Samsung's Galaxy Note 7 --?continues to deal with the fallout from faulty batteries, including a safety warning issued by the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration.

"In light of recent incidents and concerns raised by Samsung about its Galaxy Note 7 devices, the Federal Aviation Administration strongly advises passengers not to turn on or charge these devices on board aircraft and not to stow them in any checked baggage," the FAA said in a public statement this week.

Just a week ago, Samsung issued a global recall for its newly released phablet-style smartphone. A handful of units have suffered from dangerous exploding batteries, with one alleged to have totaled a Jeep in Florida this week.

In addition to the hazardous public relations issue, Samsung is also countering Apple's own phablet release --?the iPhone 7 Plus, which is set to launch in one week, on Sept. 16. Samsung and Apple are the two largest smartphone makers in the world, and are fierce competitors.

Apple's own public relations issue -- the elimination of the headphone jack from the iPhone 7 series --?is a decidedly less life threatening controversy than the global Galaxy Note 7 recall.

Update: The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on Friday issued a statement urging all Note 7 owners to turn off their device as Samsung works to announce an official recall, reports Reuters.
mejsricwatto_cobrajahblade

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    But but but everyone was just going to turn a blind eye to this because it isn't Apple.
  • Reply 2 of 62
    Schadenfreude ²
    edited September 2016 mobiuscali
  • Reply 3 of 62
    This is not fair, I tell you. Not fair.

The FAA is just picking on Samsung because they're not an American company like Apple, who has iPhones explode all the time. The Internet told me so.
    sockrolidwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 62
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    So now one can legally board a plane with an explosive...Awesome!
    baconstangxmhillxsockrolidmacseekercaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    If these were iPhones the laughter would be heard from the hilltops and every media outlet and website would be all over this!
    jahbladebaconstangxmhillxronnsockrolidequality72521prolinejbdragondewmecali
  • Reply 6 of 62
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member

My understanding is Samsung has NOT initiated a government mandatory recall.   The result will be some of these phones will still be out there for years.  It will be a miracle no one is seriously hurt

Also, the notice is buried on Samsung's website in the support section.  They do not even highlight it on the Note 7 product page.  Can't make this stuff up

baconstangxmhillxronnsockrolidjbdragoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    And this is EXACTLY why Apple does not rush features like wireless charging and fast charging until they are absolutely ready.

All you trolls can continue to say iPhones are missing key features.
    Yup, no exploding phones for Apple.
    Your logic is a bit flawed. I think it's more a reflection of quality control and quality components. Samsung stands for nothing. The company's only motivator is profit.
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 62
    Android users can afford to fly?
    baconstangmonstrosityxmhillxpscooter63sockrolidandrewj5790prolinejbdragoncaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    This is weak on the FAA's part. They are not doing their job well.

They should not just warn against it, they should ban all such Samsung phones immediately.

In Australia, many airlines have already banned them.

Any Fandroids caught with such dangerous devices (EPD = Exploding Phone Device) should be detained and treated as terrorists.

Australian airlines ban use of Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones after battery fires

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-airlines-samsung-idUSKCN11E0V8
    edited September 2016 monstrositysockrolidmacseekerjbdragoncaliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 62
    The Note 7, now with exploding battery.   It's not a bug, it's a feature.
    edited September 2016 caliwatto_cobratallguyjahblade
  • Reply 11 of 62
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Poor Samsung. How my heart bleeds for them right now...

/s
    edited September 2016 sockrolidcaliwatto_cobrajahblademagman1979
  • Reply 12 of 62
    mobiusmobius Posts: 380member
    Is anyone else seeing lots of unnecessary question marks throughout this article?
  • Reply 14 of 62
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Uh, if these things can explode (and reduce a jeep to smoldering ruins) then why the fuck isn't the FAA banning them completely, instead of "warning" passengers not to turn them on, which obviously will not be enforced nor abided by? These things need to be treated like ticking time bombs, and confiscated at security. I'm flying next week and don't want any of these fucking things on the plane with me. Woe is me, if I'm taken out by a fucking Smasung phone. 

Oh, and this story isn't even a peep in the media, compared to what would be happening if new iPhones were exploding. Not even a peep. Apple's stock would be halved and this headline would be on the front page of every blog and media outlet for weeks. 
    edited September 2016 ronnsockrolidnolamacguymobiusequality72521jbdragonwatto_cobrajahblademagman1979
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Apparently a fire started in the garage of a firefighter in South Carolina who left his Note 7 plugged in to charge while he left to pick his kids up.

They haven't concluded 100% that it was the Note 7's fault, but come on - the guy's a firefighter. I doubt very much he leaves dangerous items (like oil soaked rags) just lying around ready to start a fire. And having been involved in fire investigations myself, it should be easy to trace the source of ignition and either confirm or exclude the Note 7 as the cause.

This is turning into a PR disaster for Samsung. The Teflon isn't slippery enough to let this one slide.
    sockrolidjbdragoncaliwatto_cobrajahblademagman1979
  • Reply 16 of 62
    That sucks. Wouldn't want any company's phone or product to go through that. Wonder what the detailed causes are, to rule out and ensure it won't happen to other electronics. 
  • Reply 17 of 62
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    What? Samsung apologists are reacting the same way they accuse Apple apologists of reacting when the shit hits the fan? And they call Apple fans sheeple and lemmings? Man this whole thing is literally dripping irony and hypocrisy. The schadenfreude is strong with this Note 7 my young Padawans.
    edited September 2016 sockrolidnolamacguyjbdragoncalijahblademagman1979
  • Reply 18 of 62
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    slurpy said:
    I'm flying next week and don't want any of these fucking things on the plane with me. Woe is me, if I'm taken out by a fucking Smasung phone. 
    My crystal ball tells me that you will be seated next to a 365 LB Fandroid that ends up occupying 45% of your seat, and 30 minutes into the flight they will proudly take out their brand new Galaxy Note 7 and they will begin watching a movie on it, while the seat behind you is occupied by a 4 year brat that keeps kicking the back of your seat, while the child's mother is sleeping, who does not give a shit.

edited September 2016 lkruppcalibrucemc
  • Reply 19 of 62
    It's not just that, the Consumer Products Safety Commission just announced anyone who owns these to power them down AND STOP USING THEM ENTIRELY.

See your local breaking news.

https://twitter.com/cnbc/status/774342331344576512

BREAKING: Consumer Product Safety Commission tells consumers to turn off & stop using Samsung Galaxy Note7 devices

edited September 2016 caliwatto_cobramagman1979
  • Reply 20 of 62
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    sog35 said:
    And this is EXACTLY why Apple does not rush features like wireless charging and fast charging until they are absolutely ready.

All you trolls can continue to say iPhones are missing key features.
    Yup, no exploding phones for Apple.
    Your logic is a bit flawed. I think it's more a reflection of quality control and quality components. Samsung stands for nothing. The company's only motivator is profit.
    Samsung rushed the release of the Note7 to beat the iPhone 7 to the market.

That is my point. Apple does not rush things onto the market, while Samsung does. yet many trolls say Apple is behind because its not first on some features.
    I like how Apple does things. It's like when Samsung rushed to have LTE in phones. The majority of the country didn't have LTE yet. When Apple finally added LTE, everyone could use it. I'm glad Apple isn't rushing with wireless/rapid charging. 
    jbdragoncaliwatto_cobramagman1979