iPhone upgrade program members have stock available, Apple support call-backs ongoing

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has added more stock to the online reservation program for Apple Upgrade Program members, and return calls promised by Apple customer care to resolve ordering issues have started.

Late Monday night, the Apple Upgrade Program webpage was updated, and presented available stock in some locations to purchasers. Stores with stock had nearly every model available, from every carrier, including T-Mobile.

The change was noticed after Apple customer service retuned calls to some disgruntled program members, advising them of the change. AppleInsider has learned that other customers, mostly from the first batch of callers, had orders for the desired model and a second choice manually placed by the representatives over the phone.

While customers were originally told that some travel may be required, that seems to have been walked back somewhat. We have been informed that users will not have to travel more than 15 miles past the preferred Apple store for pickup.

"We haven't been updated yet," an Apple store manager told us regarding the calls, and launch day stock for program members. "We don't know if the orders that started again [on Tuesday] through AppleCare are coming from our reserved launch day stock, or are extras that they'll send that we don't know about yet."

The upgrade process for program members had a rocky start. Problems with the pre-order process resulted in many Apple Upgrade Program participants finding little or no stock available minutes after the pre-orders for the iPhone 7 began on Friday.

AppleInsider also discovered on Friday that retail stores would be reserving some incoming stock for upgrade program members.

On Sunday, Apple modified the Apple Upgrade Program website, directing customers to call Apple support for help with the process. At that time, customers were asked to give support personnel multiple models desired, and were told that they would be contacted within 48 hours with instructions on how to proceed.

A class action suit filed on Monday by upgrade program members claiming to be wronged by the process seeks reimbursement for "all damages sustained as a result of Defendant's wrongdoing, in an amount to be proven at trial," as a result of potential mishandling of the ordering process, as well as applicable attorneys' and experts' fees.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    Understanding the timeline you laid out means the lawsuit was filed after Apple had noticed the problem and started taking action to resolve the problem. To me the lawyer(s) filing this lawsuit should be forced to pay all legal fees and a fine for filing a frivolous class action lawsuit on the behalf of customers. Also, an apology and promise to not do anything like this ever again should be posted in major US newspapers, on morning and nightly news programs,, radio ads plus NPR, Twitter and Facebook. 
    jbdragonwatto_cobraSolijony0
  • Reply 2 of 11
    I'm surprised that Apple didn't have some idea how many people in the IUP would be interested in upgrading as soon as eligible and then allocated stock accordingly. 
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Only two models available are gold 128 gig and rose gold 256 gig.  Still waiting on Apple to call me its day two so I should be hearing from them today 
  • Reply 4 of 11

Just checked the online reservation for a 128GB IP7 Plus in black here in Dallas and was able to reserve anytime after 10:00 AM this Friday! Good deal! I was one of the people in the iPhone upgrade program who logged on at 2:01 AM night of preorders and it didn't show any black IP7 Plus models in the entire DFW metroplex. So glad to see Apple has allotted some more stock to the iPhone upgrade program individuals! I was never expected special treatment but I expected to at least order when the general public was able to, even if that meant getting in line and waiting a week to receive the phone. Update: just checked stock again about 10 minutes later and it's no longer showing any IP7 plus models in DFW anymore...That was quick

edited September 2016
  • Reply 5 of 11
    So Apple is sending emails to IUP customers asking for model preferences so they can notify you of availability, except for Jet Black which won't be available at launch. Why didn't Apple just say during the keynote that Jet Black wouldn't be shipping right away? Clearly they don't have stock right now. Why offer it for sale only for it to be immediately sold out? Or maybe let people reserve that model for a later shipment date. At least then people would know they're not getting it right away vs. going online first thing to order it and it's immediately sold out.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    thehecta said:

Update: just checked stock again about 10 minutes later and it's no longer showing any IP7 plus models in DFW anymore...That was quick

I was able to reserve a 128GB silver 7+ (not my first choice of size or finish), but it's all the way over in Fort Worth. With luck, I can switch it out for a 256GB black in the store. The Fort Worth store isn't in a mall, so I can take my dog with me. She's really good at begging. 
    edited September 2016 pbruttoalbegarc
  • Reply 7 of 11
    Still nothing out here in DC. The inventory hasn't changed at all. I checked 15 seconds after I got the email and nothing changed. I heard from a friend in Utah that stock had increased and she got what she wanted, but DC looks to have been screwed again just like we were on launch night. 
  • Reply 8 of 11
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    After waiting on hold for over 2 hours a couple of nights ago, Apple came through.  They reached out to me today via email and I now have an appointment to pick up an iPhone 7+ on Friday in my local store.  Changed from Grumpy Camper to Happy Camper.

albegarc
  • Reply 9 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Understanding the timeline you laid out means the lawsuit was filed after Apple had noticed the problem and started taking action to resolve the problem. To me the lawyer(s) filing this lawsuit should be forced to pay all legal fees and a fine for filing a frivolous class action lawsuit on the behalf of customers. Also, an apology and promise to not do anything like this ever again should be posted in major US newspapers, on morning and nightly news programs,, radio ads plus NPR, Twitter and Facebook. 
    A couple things to note, 1) It's still been less than 12 months since anyone signed up for the iPhone Upgrade Program, and 2) what if next year Apple doesn't start selling the iPhone 2 weekends earlier, but instead waits until October, or even skips a year now that the platform is very mature? People like Rogifan and these lawyers will still contend that they are entitled to an new iPhone design every 12 months, regardless of anything else.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member

lonestar1 said:
    thehecta said:

Update: just checked stock again about 10 minutes later and it's no longer showing any IP7 plus models in DFW anymore...That was quick

I was able to reserve a 128GB silver 7+ (not my first choice of size or finish), but it's all the way over in Fort Worth. With luck, I can switch it out for a 256GB black in the store. The Fort Worth store isn't in a mall, so I can take my dog with me. She's really good at begging. 
    The 128GB Silver for the 7 Plus is now available for me this Friday, too, but I'm holding out for the harder-to-produce Jet Black. If I have to wait an extra week or two (or month), it's not a big deal; I want that "grippier" device.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    I checked this last night, and was able to place an order for an iPhone 7+ Gold/128.  I wanted Silver, but at this point, I will take Gold.  I checked again this morning and all of the iPhone 7+'s are gone.  Five Apple stores in Michigan and no iPhones 7+'s.  All of the stores had models last night.

When I called Apple on Monday, the guy who I spoke with gave me his e-mail and contact info.  I e-mailed him and told him I was able to reserve a phone, so he didn't need to keep looking for one for me.  he called me back today and said to keep checking if I didn't find exactly what I wanted.  It sounds like the inventory for the IUP is changing day to day...