Adoption of Apple's iOS 10 already at 15% in early tracking data

Posted:
in iPhone
Just 24 hours after launch, adoption of iOS 10 is sitting at 14.86 percent of Apple mobile devices, according to tracking data published on Wednesday.

iOS 9 usage is down to 80.86 percent from a Tuesday peak of 92.81, noted analytics firm Mixpanel. Some 4.29 percent of iOS users are still running iOS 8 or earlier, whether because of device limitations or otherwise. iOS 10 almost instantly eclipsed pre-iOS 9 devices after the software's Tuesday release.

A year ago, iOS 9 managed to reach 12.6 percent of devices in its first 24 hours -- similar to results for iOS 8 in 2014.

It's not clear why iOS 10 is seeing a higher conversion rate. While people may be tempted by the software's features, such as a better notification system and enhanced Messages app, other factors could be involved.

More people may be using compatible hardware for instance, and iOS 9 introduced easier over-the-air updates -- the software can temporarily delete installed apps to clear space, then restore them when an upgrade is complete.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Far more responsive on my iPhone 5s 32GB. Rock solid in stability. More intuitive. I expect this number should leap to > 50% same time next week.
    caliSpamSandwichchiaanton zuykovwatto_cobralostkiwiicoco3jony0
  • Reply 2 of 13
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    One day data don't represent larger adoption of near future. Similar or better adoption as previous IOS releases. no surprises.
  • Reply 3 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    It's the Messages app and stickers. They're amazing.
    slprescottlostkiwi
  • Reply 4 of 13
    I have been rocking the iOS 10 for two months and it's been mostly flawless since beta 3. The only issues I have had was with 3rd party apps. 
    calilostkiwi
  • Reply 5 of 13
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,152member
    Can you believe work has only just started testing iOS 10 with its apps? So no upgrades allowed.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 6 of 13
    cali said:
    Yes.  Functionally stickers may seem silly... but they're FUN, and that enthusiasm gets people excited to get on board.  It's certainly the case for my wife & daughter.  And I love them myself.
    calilostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 13
    Far more responsive on my iPhone 5s 32GB. Rock solid in stability. More intuitive. I expect this number should leap to > 50% same time next week.
    I'll say that it would have been higher if some users did not experience temporary bricking which made them hold on to the upgrade.  I upgraded mine and never had that experience plus iOS10 is solid. 
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 13
    Looks good here too. Seems a better quality release than some we've seen recently and there are some nice ergonomic tweaks too.

I never did understand why you had to scroll to the bottom of an E-mail to load its images, only to go back to the top to read it. Now the button's at the top - how logical!
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 13
    Before Verizon carried the iPhone. I was Blackberry, then Android user. Loved Blackberry. Android was a step up from Blackberry in all it could do. I liked Android but was frustrating with all the crashing and the inability to get the lasted version of Android almost any device older than 6 months old. ..if you were lucky.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; the iPhone secret sauce is the amazing iOS. And I'll give props to Android because it's been very innovative and Apple has had to play catch up on occasion, but both have gotten better from the dualism and competition.
    But again, going from Android to iOS, was like a light coming on. There is no way I could ever go back to Android unless Apple really drops the ball on iOS.

Apple dropped the ball in the design department, but its engineering and software devisions have thankfully carried Apple on its back to keep the iPhone as the only smartphone anyone should really consider.
    boredumbperkedel
  • Reply 10 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
    Yes.  Functionally stickers may seem silly... but they're FUN, and that enthusiasm gets people excited to get on board.  It's certainly the case for my wife & daughter.  And I love them myself.
    I'm anticipating a fun iMessages commercial for teens etc. 

• Reply 11 of 13
    wood1208 said:
    One day data don't represent larger adoption of near future. Similar or better adoption as previous IOS releases. no surprises.
    Yes, but it explains the problems ppl encountered in the beginning. There is an initial large number of people trying to download and install it. If there were a billion iDevices out there, there would be 150 million devices trying to download at the same time.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 13
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    Love iOS 10. iMessage with free draws is great.

• Reply 13 of 13
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,285member
    Adoption is up because iOS 10 rocks, especially with a 3D touch phone.  It is an exploding drone killer.   Not only iMessages but the new Apple Music UI is a dramatic improvement.

This is what Wall Street and tech pundits don't get and why the iPhone is the mosr addictive consumer product in history.  As long as the global middle class expands, there will be no peak iPhone.  The engineering prowess of Apple will continue to roll downhill and gain momentum.