First online vendors begin support for Apple Pay on the Web

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
A number of websites are beginning to launch support for Apple Pay on the Web, which allows iOS 10 users to pay for goods and services away from apps and point-of-sale terminals.
Website service Squarespace has turned on support for the technology on hosted storefronts, as long as they use Stripe as a backend and activate Squarespace's new checkout flow. Indeed several backend services -- among them Stripe, Big Commerce, and Shopify -- have separately announced Apple Pay compatibility. Some merchants offering Web support include home decoration site Wayfair, and Time Inc., which is letting people pay for magazine subscriptions including sub-brands like Entertainment Weekly and Sports Illustrated. Bringing Apple Pay to the Web should in theory lower barriers to its adoption, since while many businesses have websites, a smaller number are willing to pay for app development or upgraded retail systems, if they have a retail presence at all. Even businesses that do have one or both may want Web support to catch shoppers wherever they might be ready to buy. At the moment, using Apple Pay on the Web requires at least an iPhone 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, or iPad mini 3. The technology will also work with macOS Sierra -- launching Sept. 20 -- but users will still have to authenticate those transactions with a separate iPhone or Apple Watch.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15

I'm so ready for this!  We pay all our bills online, and buy a lot of things online -- using the CC with the best cash back.

I see that Target is going to accept ApplePay at its online store -- but still not at its stick and stucco stores.

I wonder if Amazon will accept ApplePay.

edited September 2016 nolamacguylostkiwi
  • Reply 2 of 15
    just tried Wayfair to see if it was taking Apple Pay on their website (using mac desktop)...it's not. Not accepting Apple Pay on an IOS10 updated ipad mini 4 either....so the title of the article is misleading on the desktop issue, and wrong on IOS10 issue in regards to Wayfair
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 3 of 15
    NY1822 said:
    just tried Wayfair to see if it was taking Apple Pay on their website (using mac desktop)...it's not. Not accepting Apple Pay on an IOS10 updated ipad mini 4 either....so the title of the article is misleading on the desktop issue, and wrong on IOS10 issue in regards to Wayfair
    Did you try the Wayfair app?  (No, I haven't yet.  Just a thought.)
  • Reply 4 of 15
    NY1822 said:
    Did you try the Wayfair app?  (No, I haven't yet.  Just a thought.)
    Why would he try the app? The whole point of this article is Apple Pay being available on websites 
    netmage
  • Reply 5 of 15

I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. They already know who you are when you log into the site.
  • Reply 6 of 15

I can't think of a reason why they wouldn't. They already know who you are when you log into the site.
    i highly doubt they would due to their reluctance to work with Apple (pulling Apple TV from Amazon site and not creating an Amazon Video app for Apple TV or an Amazon App for Apple TV)
  • Reply 7 of 15

Doubtful. They don't take Apple Pay in their app so I doubt it comes to their website. The are very restrictive, you can't even use PayPal.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    The best reason to use ApplePay on the web is so that your credit card number is not stored on some vendor's hackable servers. I've been using Citibank's virtual credit card numbers for years whenever I buy something on the web because they are onetime use credit card numbers that can't be reused if they are stolen. Citibank virtual credit card numbers work great but (a) they only work with a Citibank credit card and (b) I have to log in to Citibank and generate a credit card number each time.

The pain-in-the-ass of dealing with a stolen credit card number makes it worth the hoops I have to jump through in order to use them. I have been notified too many times by vendors who've had malware issues - I just received a letter this week from Kimpton Hotels that any credit card used at certain properties between Feb 16th and July 7th may have been compromised. Even if I'm not responsible for the charges who needs the headache of calling the credit card company to issue a new card and disputing any fraudulent charges. With a onetime use credit card number - who cares if there's a security breach at the vendor.

With ApplePay the "virtual credit card number" is generated automatically and I can choose any of the credit cards that I've registered with ApplePay. I am so looking forward to being able to use it.

lostkiwi
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member

I'm so ready for this!  We pay all our bills online, and buy a lot of things online -- using the CC with the best cash back.

I see that Target is going to accept ApplePay at its online store -- but still not at its stick and stucco stores.

Unlikely. Amazon doesn't like the thought of other companies getting a cut of their sales price.  That's why you can't buy books through their Kindle app, and why I use iBooks. 
  • Reply 10 of 15
  • Reply 11 of 15
    NY1822 said:

i highly doubt they would due to their reluctance to work with Apple (pulling Apple TV from Amazon site and not creating an Amazon Video app for Apple TV or an Amazon App for Apple TV)

Well, Wernher Von Bezos personally owns the Washing Post, and they are shown as supporting ApplePay.

• Reply 12 of 15
    Well, I just got ANOTHER letter from my bank saying I'm getting a new card, so the faster people accept AP, the happier I will be.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Rayz2016 said:
    Unlikely. Amazon doesn't like the thought of other companies getting a cut of their sales price.  That's why you can't buy books through their Kindle app, and why I use iBooks. 
    And why I buy my books through my Kindle...
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member

Target has accepted Apple Pay Online since Apple Pay launched! They've just never accepted it in store.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member

Good question and what about PayPal?