Apple, Google app store practices stymie competition, Japan trade report says

Posted:
in iPhone
According to a recent report by Japan's Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry, limitations applied to developers marketing their wares through proprietary app stores run by Apple and Google are a hindrance to smartphone app industry competition.

Apple Store in Omotesando, Tokyo.

The ministry's report on app store practices includes data from a survey of app developers conducted in collaboration with the Japan Fair Trade Commission, reports Nikkei. Results show Apple, Google and other brands with smartphone app store platforms undermine competition by asserting control over their respective distribution channels.

While not in violation of Japan's anti-monopoly law, practices like restricting acceptable payment methods and limiting app pricing to preset tiers inhibits competition, the ministry report found. Apple's 30-percent levy on all iTunes and App Store sales -- commonly referred to as the "Apple tax" -- was mentioned by name, with some participants in the study group arguing the practice is an abuse of Japan's laws.

Pricing freedom is another developer gripe. In Japan, Apple mandates app prices be rounded to the nearest ten yen denomination, a policy enacted to simplify the purchasing experience for consumers -- and likely bookkeeping for accountants. The company applies identical restrictions to App Stores in the U.S. and other international locales.

Finally, the ministry report questions Apple's refund practices. As it stands, when a user insists on a refund, the app developer must stump not only for its take of the original sale, but also the 30 percent commission taken out by Apple.

Japan's FTC plans to investigate the issue and "may choose to conduct on-site inspections if there is sufficient suspicion of regulation breach," according to one unnamed official.

Apple jumpstarted the app economy with its launch of the App Store for iPhone in 2008. Preloaded on every iOS device since then, the store has become a vital piece of the iOS experience. Though Apple benefits from the ability to offer its customers a vast universe of apps, the developer community was arguably most impacted by the App Store's introduction.

With the App Store, independent developers have equal footing with large studios and even established companies, all of whom are marketing their wares to millions of captive users.

Coincidentally, Apple last month published a webpage touting the company's contributions to the Japanese economy, including revenue generation and job creation related to the App Store ecosystem. Specifically, some $9.6 billion was paid out to 532,000 Japanese developers in 2015 alone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 28
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator
    Apple's App Store CREATED more competition, along with more revenue in the mobile applications space, than ever would have existed without it. Are these folks blind to history?
    calichaickaicoco3jbdragoncwingravigorskybadmonk
  • Reply 2 of 28
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Without Apple and the iPhone there wouldn't even be any such thing as any APP stores, and certainly nothing compared to what it is today.

macseekercalichaickaequality72521igorskybadmonk
  • Reply 3 of 28
    I'm not convinced that an "open" market would do a better job. There's the entire landscape of Windows to look at... A landscape well known for pretty much any and all kind of software availability... And garbage, system instability, vast amounts of malignant software, rampant piracy, etc. The Apple App Store is already full of garbage, really, and it is a somewhat curated market. Microsoft has been trying to follow in Apple's footsteps with their own "App Store", so it's not like Microsoft doesn't see the value in such a closed system. Controlling what runs on your operating systems is a good idea, really. Apple's policies aren't ideal, but at least there's a modicum of effort to protect the system from overt malignancy.
    sergiozchaickajbdragonbadmonk
  • Reply 4 of 28
    Kinda like the way Sony controls the way PlayStation games?
    macseekeranantksundaramperkedelchaickaairbubblebrakkenSpamSandwichmonstrosityjbdragonholyone
  • Reply 5 of 28
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Leave it to bureaucrats to kill the goose that lays the golden egg. But I’m sure some jailbreaking fapper will come along here and laud these ass hats.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 28
    This makes me so angry i can barely type on my keyboard! If Japan, of all countries, wants to investigate telco-related monopolies, they can take a look in the mirror!
    I lived there for 3 years, just before modern smartphones caught on.

Years ago, NTT DoCoMo, Japan's leading provider, had a CLEAR monopoly on cellular service and had a proprietary data/sms network called "i-Mode" which only worked on approved handsets with pre-loaded software made by Sharp, Sanyo and Sony. When the iPhone came out in '07 DoCoMo didn't see Apple as a threat. A competing provider,Softbank, brought the iPhone to Japan on its GSM network as a way to steal share. Before this, the Japanese cellular networks were not compatible with any phones made overseas and Japan was commonly referred to as the "walled-garden" or "the Galapagos." By the time modern cell phones began gaining momentum in Japan, DoCoMo tried to leverage their dwindling power by demanding that Apple make a DoCoMo version of the phone with company branding and pre-loaded software for its proprietary network. To their credit, Apple didn't budge and DoCoMo finally gave in when Apple proved to be more powerful than a cellular network.

Don't even get me started on NTT's land line service, which required that you buy non-refundable "usage rights" for about $800 for the privilege of having a phone subscription! (https://bbapply.com/tele/kenri.html)
    After this, and many other shenanigans involving NTT, Japan finally wants to investigate a monopoly! Unbelievable!

macseekeranantksundaramperkedelsergiozchaickaroundaboutnowbrakkencwingravigorsky
  • Reply 7 of 28
    Wow, coming from hyper protectionist Japan, I find this fucking bullshit off the god damn chart ironic.
    Screw them.

calianantksundaramchaickabrakkenjbdragonigorsky
  • Reply 8 of 28
    You create a lake where none existed - and then everyone is mad at you because you charge a fee to dock, and that not everyone can build a boat. Got it.
    brakkenjbdragonigorsky
  • Reply 9 of 28
    While there is a desire to further purify and make fairer - one must reflect on how the store itself has flattened the playing field, significantly mores o than what other retail systems allows. I.E. Also a 30% cut is nothing in comparison to retail channels where markup is anywhere from 50% to 300% on the price paid to suppliers. (Also keep in mind that the app can be free, with external payment - as utilised by numerous vendors.)
    chaicka
  • Reply 10 of 28
    You will find downsides to anything. Especially, potenial ones and those ide tidied through surveys. So what. As SJ said: "you can please some people some part of the time."
    And even if in this case it would be true, I'd take higher security and flawless update procedures any time over even more competition. 
    chaicka
  • Reply 11 of 28
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    I can just imagine Nintendo quietly telling them to STFU.  ;)
    brakken
  • Reply 12 of 28
    Holy crap and I thought the US was driving itself up its own arse.
    And it's now 15%, not 30%.
    And it was Apple that created its own AppStore, and unlike Goog's copy, it actually SUPPORTS competition and fair trade, and creates wealth for its developers.
    Education standards really are falling worldwide. D;
    And where is this huge problem of refunds being developed? And who is a random country with no experience in selling online apps by third party developers, or even creating and maintaining an OS coming from with this??
    Good grief, METI, get a grip - if you really want to be in the game, how about supporting Japanese software developers and hardware companies to create a Japanese OS that is based on UNIX and BSD shareware yourselves! As any country can!
  • Reply 13 of 28

With the Indian Government thinking every smartphone vendor will implement their specifications for identification, the FBI crying for access, the Japanese bureaucracy claiming App Stores are anti-competitive and other such instances, it looks like all governing bodies are very ill-equipped to the rapidly changing world. 

The only thing I see amiss here, if true, is Apple asking the developer to refund 100% when a customer asks for it. it is only fair that Apple refund 30% and the developer refund 70%.  

edited September 2016 badmonk
  • Reply 14 of 28

dysamoria said:
    I'm not convinced that an "open" market would do a better job. There's the entire landscape of Windows to look at... A landscape well known for pretty much any and all kind of software availability... And garbage, system instability, vast amounts of malignant software, rampant piracy, etc. The Apple App Store is already full of garbage, really, and it is a somewhat curated market. Microsoft has been trying to follow in Apple's footsteps with their own "App Store", so it's not like Microsoft doesn't see the value in such a closed system. Controlling what runs on your operating systems is a good idea, really. Apple's policies aren't ideal, but at least there's a modicum of effort to protect the system from overt malignancy.
    Why even go so far to look at Windows? We have a perfect example of the fucked-up situation that open mobile platforms provide with Android! No protection for anyone who tries to deliver value to the platform, including even bloody Alphabet (stupid fucking name!).
    I bet you my bottom dollar (yen) that this is another angle of attack on Apple from the US via the TPP. 
    badmonk
  • Reply 15 of 28
    They're using the argument losers use:  "Unfair!"
    lkrupp
  • Reply 16 of 28

What a crock.  Apple is no more obligated to allow any and all unfettered access to their app store than a consignment store is obligated to allow any and unfettered access.

The way I read that is "One of our big contributors is unhappy with your restrictions and so we're going to whine and moan and posture about how evil you are for not letting them do whatever the hell they want."

• Reply 17 of 28
    croprcropr Posts: 1,124member
    As the owner of an app developing company, I have a somewhat different view then most AI readers.  The current app revenue model is broken: 95% of the app developers who publish their own apps  on the app store for a few $,  are losing money.  A typical app take 6 months to develop and costs about 50K, meaning you need 70K of revenue to be break even. If you look at the Japanese figures of 2015, the average revenue is less than 20K per developer (every organisation counts is a single developer for Apple).   A few large well known organisations  make all the profits, so it  is even worse for the individual developer, which won't make a living.

The major issues with the current model are:
    • Apple (and Google) given too little in return for the 30% they are asking.  With more than 1M apps in both stores, the chances that your newly developed app gets any visibility or attention reaches 0%.  Because Apple is also making paid apps (e.g. Apple Music), and Apple does not have to pay 30%, this is smelling like  anti-competitive
    • Due to the lack of visibility, you have to de your own marketing, which can be costly and time consuming.  Making a great website, make brochures, being present in social media, ...  When I developed my first app in 2012, this was less of an issue, the presence in the app store was sufficient to get started and to get your first revenue.  Now it is a different ball game.
    • The search function is the App Store app is an absolute shame.  Apple prefers to list apps from well known developers like Facebook, Google, Apple, ... that are only vaguely related to the search text, while not displaying apps from lesser known developers that are very well related, even if the latter have very good ratings.  Luckily Google is doing a better job here, but not every iPhone user uses Google to search for an iOS app.
    • Apple severely restricts your possibilities in marketing and selling tactics.  You are not allowed to give a temporary discount as part of a marketing campaign, your are not allowed to do cross selling (giving a buyer of one of your apps a discount on another app), you cannot make links in your app to your website for any goodies.  (Google gives you here more freedom).  These restrictions are for me anti-competitive
    • Apple enforces a US based pricing scheme with predefined currency rates, which creates sometimes difficulties in other countries, especially when the currency rate changes.  (Google gives you again more freedom)
    • The app developer is facing big uncertainties, that can be quite costly.  You never know when your app will be approved, so it is difficult to plan your marketing. Apple can reject your app for a reason that you do not understand, and it is extremely difficult to get in contact with an Apple representative to discuss this.  Apple can throw your app out after approval, because Apple is developing a similar function.  This is for me also anti-competitive.

Making apps for large companies has become my major source of income.  My own apps are barely making profits, they are just a showcase for my technical skills, attracting new business customers.

The app that I am currently developing is moving to a different model, used by companies like Evernote, Trello, Spotify.  A basic version of the app is free, the user can enable additional features by making a purchase on the website, that I have to build anyway.  So I am avoiding the 30% tax by Apple and Google, I only have to pay between 2 and 3% for the credit card handling.  If I talk to other app developers, they (with the exception of game developers) are also moving in that direction
    edited September 2016 gatorguysingularity
  • Reply 18 of 28
    About the only thing that sounds reasonable in their complaints is the issue regarding refunds and the developer being on the hook for the 30% that went to Apple.
  • Reply 19 of 28
    cropr said:
    As the owner of an app developing company, I have a somewhat different view then most AI readers.  The current app revenue model is broken: 95% of the app developers who publish their own apps  on the app store for a few $,  are losing money.  A typical app take 6 months to develop and costs about 50K, meaning you need 70K of revenue to be break even. If you look at the Japanese figures of 2015, the average revenue is less than 20K per developer (every organisation counts is a single developer for Apple).   A few large well known organisations  make all the profits, so it  is even worse for the individual developer, which won't make a living.

The major issues with the current model are:
    • Apple (and Google) given too little in return for the 30% they are asking.  With more than 1M apps in both stores, the chances that your newly developed app gets any visibility or attention reaches 0%.  Because Apple is also making paid apps (e.g. Apple Music), and Apple does not have to pay 30%, this is smelling like  anti-competitive
    • Due to the lack of visibility, you have to de your own marketing, which can be costly and time consuming.  Making a great website, make brochures, being present in social media, ...  When I developed my first app in 2012, this was less of an issue, the presence in the app store was sufficient to get started and to get your first revenue.  Now it is a different ball game.
    • The search function is the App Store app is an absolute shame.  Apple prefers to list apps from well known developers like Facebook, Google, Apple, ... that are only vaguely related to the search text, while not displaying apps from lesser known developers that are very well related, even if the latter have very good ratings.  Luckily Google is doing a better job here, but not every iPhone user uses Google to search for an iOS app.
    • Apple severely restricts your possibilities in marketing and selling tactics.  You are not allowed to give a temporary discount as part of a marketing campaign, your are not allowed to do cross selling (giving a buyer of one of your apps a discount on another app), you cannot make links in your app to your website for any goodies.  (Google gives you here more freedom).  These restrictions are for me anti-competitive
    • Apple enforces a US based pricing scheme with predefined currency rates, which creates sometimes difficulties in other countries, especially when the currency rate changes.  (Google gives you again more freedom)
    • The app developer is facing big uncertainties, that can be quite costly.  You never know when your app will be approved, so it is difficult to plan your marketing. Apple can reject your app for a reason that you do not understand, and it is extremely difficult to get in contact with an Apple representative to discuss this.  Apple can throw your app out after approval, because Apple is developing a similar function.  This is for me also anti-competitive.

Making apps for large companies has become my major source of income.  My own apps are barely making profits, they are just a showcase for my technical skills, attracting new business customers.

The app that I am currently developing is moving to a different model, used by companies like Evernote, Trello, Spotify.  A basic version of the app is free, the user can enable additional features by making a purchase on the website, that I have to build anyway.  So I am avoiding the 30% tax by Apple and Google, I only have to pay between 2 and 3% for the credit card handling.  If I talk to other app developers, they (with the exception of game developers) are also moving in that direction

Not dismissing all of your points or saying that Apple couldn't make improvements now that app development is a more mature market, but part of your argument is really that there's too much competition, not too little. You specifically say that it was easier to make money earlier in the App Store's history because fewer apps = better visibility. How does that support the idea of the App Store being anti-competitive? Also, I don't think the argument regarding "I have to do my own marketing" is all that effective since it's a common practice in markets outside of digital app stores. 
    SpamSandwichbadmonk
  • Reply 20 of 28
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    This going on while Nintendo is about to release Mario exclusively on the iPhone.  It will be a run away success and many more titles will come.

Governments see people making money and all they look for is a way to get a hold of more of that money for themselves.