This week on AI: iPhone 7 & Apple Watch 2 launch, iOS 10 goes live & more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
The big news, naturally, was Friday's launch of the iPhone 7 and the second-generation Apple Watch. iOS 10, tvOS 10, and watchOS 3 emerged on Tuesday though, and there was still plenty of news going on outside the launch-day bubble.

To keep up on the latest in the Apple world, download the official AppleInsider app, and subscribe to our email newsletter.

Everything you need to know:

• Shoppers lined up around the world for a chance at the iPhone 7 > >
  • iOS 10, tvOS 10, and watchOS 3 launched after months in beta > >
  • Initial stocks of the iPhone 7 Plus and jet black versions of the iPhone 7 are sold out > >
  • News media filed suit to find out how the FBI's iPhone hack was done > >
  • Next year's iPhone should have a "virtual" button built into an edge-to-edge screen > >
  • iTunes 12.5.1 introduced a new Apple Music interface, Siri commands & more > >
  • Apple Japan was ordered to pay $118 million in back taxes > >

For in-depth discussion of this week's hottest stories, listen to the AppleInsider podcast. Subscribe here, or stream the embed below:

A roundup of all of our hottest stories this week:

Apple fans line up worldwide for iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus & Apple Watch Series 2

Apple launches iOS 10, tvOS 10 & watchOS 3

Launch day iPhone 7 Plus, jet black iPhone 7 allotment sold out, Apple says

FBI sued to divulge info on San Bernardino iPhone 5c encryption hack

2017 iPhone will have 'virtual button' built into edge-to-edge display - report

Apple releases iTunes 12.5.1 with all-new Apple Music design, iOS 10 support, Siri commands in Sierra

Apple pays $118M tax for underreported iTunes Japan income, report says

Failed iOS 10 installs force users to plug into iTunes for restoration of 'bricked' device [u]

'About a dozen' Magna engineers working on Apple's electric car, 'Project Titan' - report

T-Mobile users complain about iOS 10 carrier settings causing service blackouts [ux2]

Wireless charging tech firm Energous namechecks Apple in regulatory filing

Apple hires former Magic Leap, Oculus engineers in VR/AR push

Patent holder Acacia wins $22.1M judgement against Apple

First look: Apple Watch Series 2 Sport with GPS, S2 chip, new ceramic back, second mic hole

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Just waiting for the YouTube video of an iPhone 7 burned to a crisp to go viral after some Samsung shill uses a blow torch to fake it.
    lkrupp
  • Reply 2 of 5
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Just waiting for the YouTube video of an iPhone 7 burned to a crisp to go viral after some Samsung shill uses a blow torch to fake it.
    Speaking of Samsung shills I was in line to buy an Egg McMuffin and coffee at McDonalds this morning. The guy in front of me paid with his Samsung phone. The new hire clerk asked him how he did that. Before he could explain her colleagues in unison turned and said, “Oh, that’s Apple Pay, you need an iPhone, girl.” “No it’s NOT!” replied the Samsung phone owner (neckbeard by the way) and you could start to see the steam coming out of his ears. I just stood there trying to hold it in. And that, dear readers, is how far Apple is entrenched in the culture. 
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 3 of 5
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Something just dawned on me....

No one is talking bout the Watch Series 2 launch. How many people were in line for that or how many were in line for iPhone 7 + Apple Watch?
    If Watch Series 2 did good then the lines outside stores should have been MASSIVE. iPad 2 alone had a huge line, and I'm hearing a lot of people left after the iPhone 7 Plus news. This leads me to believe not a lot of people right ordered one.

Please tell me I'm wrong.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    lkrupp said:
    Speaking of Samsung shills I was in line to buy an Egg McMuffin and coffee at McDonalds this morning. The guy in front of me paid with his Samsung phone. The new hire clerk asked him how he did that. Before he could explain her colleagues in unison turned and said, “Oh, that’s Apple Pay, you need an iPhone, girl.” “No it’s NOT!” replied the Samsung phone owner (neckbeard by the way) and you could start to see the steam coming out of his ears. I just stood there trying to hold it in. And that, dear readers, is how far Apple is entrenched in the culture. 
    Fu**ing A**hole. As if ApplePay didn't exist SammyPay would. He should be thanking Apple his knockoff and his insecure ApplePay wannabe exist because of them.
    these guys are so delusional they act as if their products and services are unique things.

I gotta say, Apple isn't pushing ApplePay as much as they should if a cashier didn't know what it was in September 2016.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    I have those 'ugly' LG Tone neckbands and I use them for one reason and one reason alone: battery capacity. I can use them non-stop all day, not just the working day but all day.
    edited September 2016