Apple issues first betas of iOS 10.1, watchOS 3.1, macOS Sierra 10.12.1, more

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Just a few days after all of Apple's major platforms were updated publicly, developers have been supplied with new beta releases of point-one updates, including iOS 10.1 and watchOS 3.1.

A total of five new betas are available to registered developers as of Wednesday. They are:

• macOS Sierra 10.12.1 beta (build 16B2327e)
  • iOS 10.1 beta (build 14B55c)
  • watchOS 3.1 beta (build 14S452)
  • tvOS 10.0.1 beta (build 14U54)
  • Xcode 8.1 beta (build 8T29o)

Registered devices can be updated over the air via Software Update. iTunes can also be used to manually update iPhones, iPads and Apple TVs.

Currently, Apple is relatively tight lipped about what changes the new software might include. For example, a point-one version for iOS would suggest new features will be included, however the release notes simply mention that developers will have access to barometric pressure data on new iPad models.

Release notes for watchOS 3.1 also list known issues with the pre-release software, but do not disclose any new features. The point-zero-one update for tvOS, meanwhile, suggests it will simply squash bugs and will not boast any new features.

Members of Apple's public beta program are likely to receive similar beta builds of macOS Sierra 10.12.1 and iOS 10.1 in the coming days. watchOS, tvOS and Xcode are not included in Apple's public betas.

iOS 10 (in the form of iOS 10.0.1), watchOS 3 and tvOS 10 were released publicly last week. macOS 10.12 Sierra launched to the public on Tuesday.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    My iPhone 7 is killing my Apple Watch battery. I updated to watchOS 3 and iOS 10.0.1 on my iPhone 5s, and it was fine. When I moved to the iPhone 7, my watch battery dropped to about 6 hours, easily 1/3 of what I was getting before. Took all the 3rd party apps off it, but no improvement. I smell a bug.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,336member
    eightzero said:
    My iPhone 7 is killing my Apple Watch battery. I updated to watchOS 3 and iOS 10.0.1 on my iPhone 5s, and it was fine. When I moved to the iPhone 7, my watch battery dropped to about 6 hours, easily 1/3 of what I was getting before. Took all the 3rd party apps off it, but no improvement. I smell a bug.
    Did you happen to restore your watch when you switched to the new phone ?  I am using watch OS3 with iPhone 7 plus and my watch battery fine. Took it off of the charger around 7am est and it's at 81% right now.  I know we have different usage and apps , but only 1/3 of previous battery life
  • Reply 3 of 10
    jcs2305 said:
    eightzero said:
    Did you happen to restore your watch when you switched to the new phone ?  I am using watch OS3 with iPhone 7 plus and my watch battery fine. Took it off of the charger around 7am est and it's at 81% right now.  I know we have different usage and apps , but only 1/3 of previous battery life
    I've repaired several times, and finally set it up as a new watch. Still no joy. I did call Apple Support, and with their diagnostic confirmed the Apple Watch battery checks out. I'd try the beta, but i'm more inclined to return the iPhone 7 and go back to my trusty 5s.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    I have a 6s+128g , not a 7 yet.  I think your battery issues will resolve shortly. It is certainly not an issue users will tolerate, nor is it one Apple will tolerate.  I noticed a lot of Photos / Spotlight / iCloud/ type of usage.  Also your Docs could have been pushed to the cloud.   I am no expert by any means.  If you have OS X on a Mac, iOS on a Pad or Phone - these will resolve at a cost - battery life and usage over the air, etc.  Nothing is instant.  I am glad I did not let it sync my Docs with the Cloud.  Many GB's were involved.  Think about it and check these things out.  The 7 is a great phone and much faster.  
  • Reply 5 of 10
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    Oh, I finally discovered after observing DOS, Win, Mac, iOS, etc. that the leading edge can often be the bleeding edge.  I am impressed how well Apple accomplishes what they do.  It will all resolve.  Find some Docs on the new OS's and read them.  That is the key - knowledge is power.  I have used Macs since 1984.  Apple & PC's a little longer.  Things will resolve.  That is a given with Apple. These things cannot be accomplished at the speed of light - We expect a click to resolve everything, but it takes time to play out.  Just let the Machines run for a long time.  Finally mine settled down.  There is a lot going on. Photos will settle down finally. So will Spotlight.
  • Reply 6 of 10
    TomE said:
    I have a 6s+128g , not a 7 yet.  I think your battery issues will resolve shortly. It is certainly not an issue users will tolerate, nor is it one Apple will tolerate.  I noticed a lot of Photos / Spotlight / iCloud/ type of usage.  Also your Docs could have been pushed to the cloud.   I am no expert by any means.  If you have OS X on a Mac, iOS on a Pad or Phone - these will resolve at a cost - battery life and usage over the air, etc.  Nothing is instant.  I am glad I did not let it sync my Docs with the Cloud.  Many GB's were involved.  Think about it and check these things out.  The 7 is a great phone and much faster.  
    Thanks. I've now turned on airplane mode on the Watch, and i'm still seeing a battery drain. Perhaps this isn't related to the iPhone 7, but watchOS that somehow manifests itself when the watch is setup via the 7. Meaning I'd need to go back to the 5s to verify, and of course, that means 2 phones (one that has no cell service) for a day to check it out. I do have a repair ticket number, but when I described the issue, the Apple rep had no notes or known issues.

Going back to the 5s is not trivial - it means not only a visit to the Apple Store, but reactivation of the 5s. Sigh. 
  • Reply 7 of 10
    When I first had watchos3 and ios 10 on my 6s it did not last me the day, I was thinking if might be the new software, but figured it probably fell off the charger as well. Switched to iphone 7 and unpaired watch then did a restore on it. Battery life is normal now, I get a normal day of use out my watch and make sure its on the charger all night. Still have 70% left after taking it off about 8 am today.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    I have the iPhone 7 and the original Watch, and noticed the Phone was very low on power even after the pairing due, I assume, to the many apps that were being loaded on the Watch. Now everything is fine. 
  • Reply 9 of 10
    I'm still troubleshooting. I'm beginning to suspect the workout app. I go for an early morning walk, and even after I stop the workout, the battery drains dramatically. I've simply taken the watch off my wrist, and without putting it back on the charger, the drain seems to have stabilized. Very, very strange. 
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I continue to troubleshoot. I see that the emergency SOS feature also has bugs. Some contacts are grayed out and cannot be added to the SOS contact list. There is no description of why this is, or any assistance about it on the Apple site.

I now suspect the new dock as the source of the battery issue. 

watchOS3 is by far the worst OS Apple has ever released. It's a hot mess.