Beats to skip Studio Wireless headphone update in 2016, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
Apple-owned Beats won't be updating its over-ear Studio Wireless headphones in 2016 due to a lack of battery life improvements, according to a report published Thursday.

Citing a source close to Apple, CNET reports Beats is not planning to release an update to its popular Studio Wireless headphone model anytime soon, adding that a 2016 model is apparently out of the question. Battery life improvements, or more specifically a lack thereof, are at the heart of Beats' decision.

Beats was able to squeeze out longer play times in its two latest wireless headphone models thanks to Apple's W1, a custom designed low-energy Bluetooth chip also incorporated into the company's upcoming AirPods product. The two W1-powered Beats models -- Solo3 Wireless and PowerBeats3 Wireless -- were introduced during Apple's iPhone 7 special event earlier this month. A neckband-style model called BeatsX and the entry-level EP also debuted during that launch.

Thanks to the W1 chip the Solo3 Wireless has three times the battery life of its Solo2 counterpart. The chip, however, can't offer the same results in the Studio Wireless due to that model's active noise cancelling technology.

With sales staying steady for the current Studio Wireless model, Apple isn't likely to rush the release of an updated Studio Wireless model.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    "Studio Wireless"  =  oxymoron
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 16
    dm3dm3 Posts: 168member
    These headphones are an embarassement for Apple. They cost $380. Yet Best Buy sells them for $190 and they are still not worth it. They are not competitive with other wireless headphones. They look like a money grab by Apple for a clearly inferior product. 
    baconstangcalisirlance99
  • Reply 3 of 16
    dm3 said:
    These headphones are an embarassement for Apple. They cost $380. Yet Best Buy sells them for $190 and they are still not worth it. They are not competitive with other wireless headphones. They look like a money grab by Apple for a clearly inferior product. 
    they're not competitive but people buy them in droves. hmm. not sure you get how this sales thing works.

in any event apple didn't design this product line or its price points. but based on how successful it remaims Beats was clearly a slamdunk acquisition. 
  • Reply 4 of 16
    Yeah, plus the whole concept of noise canceling in a studio...
    baconstangstanthemanireland
  • Reply 5 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    When Apple announced curved batteries for the new MacBook I figured the next iPhone would have them but they don't. Maybe the iPhone is already packed right as it is but I'm sure this battery tech could solve the problem with Beats electronics.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 16
    cali said:
    When Apple announced curved batteries for the new MacBook I figured the next iPhone would have them but they don't. Maybe the iPhone is already packed right as it is but I'm sure this battery tech could solve the problem with Beats electronics.
    I keep expecting them to put the Apple Watch battery in the wristband.
    stanthemancali
  • Reply 7 of 16
    cali said:
    The MacBook's battery isn't curved, it's terraced.
    [Deleted User]watto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    cali said:
    The MacBook's battery isn't curved, it's terraced.
    Wait that sounds right. Damn I could have sworn it was curved to fit the shell. I wonder if they can bring that tech to other devices?

cali said:
    Or at least an optional battery expansion wristband.

With Apple'a speed of innovation I'm surprised they can't "crack" this issue. This leads me to believe the Beats team is completely separated from Apple.
    baconstang
  • Reply 9 of 16
    I'll be waiting for Apple branded headphones, direct from Apple "not touched by Beats". Comparable or better than Sony MDR-1000X, with all the configurability of Watch for a high end product.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 16
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    cali said:
    Be careful what you Note 7, wish for.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 16
    As long as Apple sells macs with 128GB of storage, or macs with TN panels, or macs that aren't SSD only, or iPads from before 2015, this product fits right in.
    I just can't understand how the company that makes the best products on the planet (6s, 7, SSD 5 and 4k iMac, etc.) can also make the worst, more overpriced, piece of sh*t that damages their brand so much (all the products mentioned on the first paragraph + iPhone 6 with gimped RAM that guarantees a short useful lifespan, all iPhones between the 4 and 5s with their pathetic small screens, old Mac Pros, etc.).

I just don't get it. They might profit from it, but it damages their brand and user experience so much.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Obviously nobody said Beats X out loud before deciding on that name. 
  • Reply 13 of 16
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Talking of battery life on rechargeable headphones ...  I decided last year to buy the Sentey B-Trek H10 Bluetooth Headphones Wireless Headset as Amazon Prime had a 50% off sale.  To me, they sound great and are very comfortable.  On a single charge they last me weeks, well to be honest I've never had them run flat but charge them about once a month regardless.  I use them for about three shows a night on Netflix then some news round ups on CNN all watched on my iPad Air.  I read a lot of the reviews on Amazon and many said they only lasted a few days after a charge.  I have to wonder how many users don't realize they have to switch any make of headphones off when not in use?  That said, perhaps Beats auto shut off if no input detected after a while, that would make sense to me.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 14 of 16
    I keep expecting them to put the Apple Watch battery in the wristband. Or at least an optional battery expansion wristband.

With Apple'a speed of innovation I'm surprised they can't "crack" this issue. This leads me to believe the Beats team is completely separated from Apple.
    Tim needs to bring this division in and let Jony and Co put some Apple into these things before the brand and value of "Beats" is further tainted who ever is running this product dep definitely isn't Cuppetino IMO
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 15 of 16
    MacBAir said:
    As long as Apple sells macs with 128GB of storage, or macs with TN panels, or macs that aren't SSD only, or iPads from before 2015, this product fits right in.
    I just can't understand how the company that makes the best products on the planet (6s, 7, SSD 5 and 4k iMac, etc.) can also make the worst, more overpriced, piece of sh*t that damages their brand so much (all the products mentioned on the first paragraph + iPhone 6 with gimped RAM that guarantees a short useful lifespan, all iPhones between the 4 and 5s with their pathetic small screens, old Mac Pros, etc.).

I just don't get it. They might profit from it, but it damages their brand and user experience so much.
    nonsense. those products might not be useful *to you*, but that doesn't mean they aren't useful to other people. thats the part tech nerds always forget about. social deficiencies, i imagine.

iPhone with gimped ram? get real and come off it. iPhones have the best longevity in the industry. always have. iPhone 4-5s had awesome screens and were in fact so popular that they re-released that size in the SE. so you got that wrong, too. don't feel bad tho, you aren't a pro at product design. apple is.
    baconstangwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 16
    Beat me to it (no pun intended!).
    baconstang