Sonos brings PLAY:1 & PLAY:5 speakers to Apple's online & retail stores

Posted:
in General Discussion
Wi-Fi speaker maker Sonos on Monday announced a partnership that will see the company's PLAY:1 and PLAY:5 speakers sold in Apple's online and physical retail stores.

The speakers should go sale from Apple.com later today, and reach outlets on Oct. 5, Sonos said in a press release. Online sales will initially be limited to the U.S., but these should expand elsewhere "in the coming weeks."

People who buy a Sonos system from Apple between today and Dec. 31 will get a free gift card for three months of Apple Music streaming. To further promote the partnership, over 140 stores will be hosting demo stations with the Sonos app loaded on an iPad Pro.

The company's current speakers have been available for some time, as has Apple Music support. Sales through Apple can be lucrative though, since while shoppers could easily find speakers elsewhere, a presence in Apple's stores means catching shoppers right when they need accessories, and taking advantage of a high-profile international brand.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    One thing is for sure, Sonos will fit right into a Apple Store with their high prices!!!
  • Reply 2 of 9
    don't we already get 3 months of Apple Music for free?
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Happy that Apple & Sonos are becoming better friends.

I spent years with a cobbled together AirPlay iTunes distribution system at my house. Always annoying. And the girlfriend could never figure it out.

I stepped up to Sonos a couple years ago and I've been extremely impressed. The girlfriend works the Sonos App like a champ, which is awesome.

Here's one thing I have trouble with: Didn't the old Beats Music integration with Sonos have a Like or Heart button for the Beats service? The Sonos Apple Music integration doesn't have any support for the Apple Music Hearts, let alone the old iTunes star system. I love using Apple Music over the Sonos for music discovery. I would love to be able to mark my likes and dislikes from the same App.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jbdragon said:
    One thing is for sure, Sonos will fit right into a Apple Store with their high prices!!!
    Maybe so, but my 10 year old Sonos components are still supported and get regular updates. Not only that, but it does (well) many things that were unheardof when they were released. I have since added several Play: units to my system and it all works beautifully. I have many other devices that I bought way after that and became obsolete within a couple of years. Sonos, expensive? Maybe so. But it has no equivalent (the Bose Touch does not even begin to compare, and B&O only dreams they could offer something nearly as good for 10x the price)
    rwrgeo[Deleted User]lolliver
  • Reply 5 of 9
    jbdragon said:
    Maybe so, but my 10 year old Sonos components are still supported and get regular updates. Not only that, but it does (well) many things that were unheardof when they were released. I have since added several Play: units to my system and it all works beautifully. I have many other devices that I bought way after that and became obsolete within a couple of years. Sonos, expensive? Maybe so. But it has no equivalent (the Bose Touch does not even begin to compare, and B&O only dreams they could offer something nearly as good for 10x the price)
    So true!  Sonos is still the best money I've spent on tech, possibly on anything.
  • Reply 6 of 9
    NY1822 said:
    don't we already get 3 months of Apple Music for free?
    yup, and this is another 3 months. can also get an extra 6months free with EE in the UK. Lots of freebies for apple music just now.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Can anyone explain what they love about AirPlay?  I have had Sonos for 4-5 years, and love the device independence of it-- wife or I can use controller on any device, or just start music by hitting the button on the unit.  Everything I understand about airplay is that it is linked to the device playing, and is fairly modal; I only use it for streaming to my AppleTV  for presentations or when my ISP is down...

The PlayBar (with sub) is the icing on the cake though, fully integrating the TV into the mix. I would agree that the play are is expensive, especially when you factor in the sub, but talk about solid construction!  (Playbar weighs more than my 46" tv.)  With the playbar, you seem to have full airplay functionality, but fewer devices to control.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    The UI and UE are intuitive and easy to use but to me, the letdown with Sonos is the sound. Subpar speakers and lacking HiRes support. If you don't care much about sound quality, then Sonos is great, but if SQ is important to you, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
  • Reply 9 of 9
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
     Thomas M said:
    The UI and UE are intuitive and easy to use but to me, the letdown with Sonos is the sound. Subpar speakers and lacking HiRes support. If you don't care much about sound quality, then Sonos is great, but if SQ is important to you, I'd suggest looking elsewhere.
    Know any competing products?

Don't you need another product to use Sonos with Air Play?