AppleInsider status update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited September 2016
If you're a frequent AppleInsider reader, you've probably noticed that things have been a little rough around the edges over the last couple days. In the name of transparency and to quell any fears we felt like we should address it in a public way.

The long and the short of it is that we experienced a critical hardware failure on one of our servers late this weekend. As a result the AppleInsider iOS app has been going up and down, and is currently offline. The forums, RSS feeds, and website should all be running more-or-less normally, though you may see some oddities here and there (like missing images) while we continue to address issues.

We hope to be back to 100% sometime within the next 10-12 hours, but we won't know for sure until we have completed some more of our engineering and IT tasks. This post will stay up-to-date with more details as needed. Feel free to reply to this thread with any further comments and/or questions, and we will do our best to address them.

We value your readership, thank you for reading AppleInsider.

Update #1:
The App should start coming back online for some of you soon, we had to update some DNS so it may take a little while to propagate. You still may experience some image oddities here and there as we are currently still working on getting the original machine recovered. \

Update #2 (9/29/2016):
We have recovered most of the data from the bad drive and will be doing a final repair and copy today. Everything should be back to normal soon. Thanks everyone for being patient. We are putting more systems in place to make sure this type of thing never happens again.
TomE

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    Each morning for a while now it's obvious Chinese spammers have found a way to register and post tons of garbage threads here also. Perhaps no one should be allowed to post immediately after registering?
    lolliver
  • Reply 2 of 8
    AppleInsiderAppleInsider Posts: 63,192administrator
    Each morning for a while now it's obvious Chinese spammers have found a way to register and post tons of garbage threads here also. Perhaps no one should be allowed to post immediately after registering?
    We put in a fix for that this morning. We'll see the results tonight. Blocking people from posting after going through the registration is a terrible user experience and only serves to stifle the growth and interaction levels of the community. Since we lifted those restrictions after switching to the new forum not only are (legitimate) user registrations up but so is interaction and retention. It would take a lot more than a few days worth of spam posts to make us revert those changes.
    spacerays
  • Reply 3 of 8
    On a forum I help manage, the administrators have to approve the first few posts of a new member.  We also have software to block spammers from registering.  If one ever gets in, we'll ban them and report their IP address to the anti-spam service we belong to.
    SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Thank you AppleInsider for keeping us in the loop.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Best of luck.
  • Reply 6 of 8
    And this morning there are at least three new spammers posting, this time in English...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    If you're a frequent AppleInsider reader, you've probably noticed that things have been a little rough around the edges over the last couple days. In the name of transparency and to quell any fears we felt like we should address it in a public way.

The long and the short of it is that we experienced a critical hardware failure on one of our servers late this weekend. As a result the AppleInsider iOS app has been going up and down, and is currently offline. The forums, RSS feeds, and website should all be running more-or-less normally, though you may see some oddities here and there (like missing images) while we continue to address issues.

We hope to be back to 100% sometime within the next 10-12 hours, but we won't know for sure until we have completed some more of our engineering and IT tasks. This post will stay up-to-date with more details as needed. Feel free to reply to this thread with any further comments and/or questions, and we will do our best to address them.

We value your readership, thank you for reading AppleInsider.

Update #1:
    The App should start coming back online for some of you soon, we had to update some DNS so it may take a little while to propagate. You still may experience some image oddities here and there as we are currently still working on getting the original machine recovered.
    Yeah I was wondering what was going on : suggestion maybe send emails to over 100 post members next time coz I actually checked mine as I kept thinking the issue was on my side, thanks and hopefully everything gets back to normal as there are still small image issues
  • Reply 8 of 8
    There's been issues with the server for months and I kept reporting it to a black hole (never got a response), but the past 2 days, it's back to normal. No slowness at all. So whatever you've done has helped.