Apple brings Maps traffic data to four smaller European countries

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple has silently added traffic data for Maps users in four more European nations, namely the microstates of Malta, Monaco, San Marino, and Liechtenstein.

Like Google Maps, Apple Maps uses color-coded lines to indicate the severity of congestion. When navigating on an iPhone, real-time traffic data makes it easier to choose alternate routes to avoid jams.

Apple offers traffic data in over 30 countries, primarily spread across Asia, Europe, and North and South America. It's actually one of the more common Maps features, since options like Nearby are limited to a relative handful of countries, and some others -- particularly public transit directions -- are identified mostly by which cities carry them, not countries.

Earlier this week Apple added Sao Paulo, Brazil to the list of cities with transit support.

The company still has plenty of ground to cover with traffic alone, since the only African country with coverage is South Africa, and data is completely absent in the Middle East.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,275member
    Apple doesn't generate traffic data, just displays it. Traffic data needs to come from somewhere. With few exceptions, the required infrastructure is probably not much of a priority for anybody in Africa or the mid-east.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Liechtenstein gets an update, but my street doesn't. It was built 4 years ago and I've sent Apple a notice about it not being on Maps 2 times (or was it 3?). I sent the same notice to Google Maps and it was there within a week, AND I got a thank-you note from Google.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    Ah, San Marino ... such memories ...  Apple Dealer trip aboard the Orient Express and the Formula 1 Grand Prix!  Anyone else here remember that trip?
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Wingsy_AI said:
    Liechtenstein gets an update, but my street doesn't. It was built 4 years ago and I've sent Apple a notice about it not being on Maps 2 times (or was it 3?). I sent the same notice to Google Maps and it was there within a week, AND I got a thank-you note from Google.
    This FUD is so tiresome. I corrected address information in Apple Map and Apple corrected it within a week and sent email to notified me about a change. Doh.