New iPad Pro refresh rumors point to new 'iPad mini Pro,' True Tone across the line

Posted:
in iPad
The rumor mills are starting to churn in advance of a future iPad refresh, with the latest pointing to an iPad mini expanding into the "Pro" lineup, the mid-size iPad Pro growing a bit, True Tone on the 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and microphone advances across the entire line.

According to Macotakara's sources, the iPad mini line will see a "Pro" model. The new "iPad Pro 7.9 inch" model will reportedly get the Apple Smart Connector, quad-speaker audio, four microphones, True Tone display with DCI-P3 "Wide Color" support, and a rear 12-megapixel camera.

The current 9.7-inch iPad Pro is said to grow to accommodate a 10.1-inch screen, and get the same quad-microphone advance that the iPad mini "Pro" model will allegedly get.

According to the report, the 12.9-inch iPad Pro will get the same 12MP camera the iPad mini "Pro" model will be upgraded with True Tone flash, and the "Wide Color" DCI-P3 display as well.

First seen in the iMac 5k, Apple implemented Wide Color in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro with the True Tone display, and now with both models of the iPhone 7. While the iPhone 7 screen is a Wide Color display, it is not a True Tone display with automatic white point alteration in response to the ambient lighting situation.

In August, rumors claimed a 10.5-inch iPad would ship in 2017, with a shift to AMOLED displays in 2018.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 57
    Yes! bring on V2. I've been holding out for the past year on the IPP. It gets more and more difficult each day not to snag one, especillay when there were no rumors and even rumors of "no update this year". 

Cool to think the mini might not go away but does the mini really need to be a pro? I kind of looked at it as kindle competition, but I suppose if you want a gaming tablet that isn't an IP7 it makes more sense.  It sure about a keyboard though which is at least in part what makes an IPP and IPP. If not just the size. Hmmmm. I dunno. I liked the mini. And maybe with a larger IPP I might want a smaller tablet for books. But at the same time the "plus" phones are basically big enough to fil that gap too. 

I would like to see memory boosts and tru tone. 3D Touch ... Does 3D Touch make sense on an iPad? I guess so. Sure that would be great. If so. Then maybe we can "lose" the mechanical home button. 
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 2 of 57
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    I have been wanting to purchase an iPad Pro but can't see spending that kind of money on a 1 year old device; it is expensive enough brand new.

Waiting for the refresh; hoping for some killer new features and a killer tricore/quadcore processor. 

Not sure why Apple needs to at the "Pro" to an iPad Mini. I guess it is a marketing move.
  • Reply 3 of 57
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    If I were Apple I'd drop the mini and lower the price of the 9.7" iPad to the price of the mini. Then lower the price of the iPad Pro models down to the price of the 9.7" iPad. Just in time for the holidays too. Apple's doesn't need an iPad mini Pro model. There are way too many models of iPads as it is between the different screen sizes, old models, new models, Wifi models, LTE models, Pro models, capacity models, etc. Its just too much IMO. 
    albegarcaylk
  • Reply 4 of 57
    The use case for an iPad Mini Pro is obvious; killing off the Moleskine. 

But really, Pencil support + the Mini has been a long desired want of mine. I think they'll be more popular than many here expect. 
    edited October 2016 tmaywilliamlondonmike1melodyof1974macguiharry wild
  • Reply 5 of 57
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    seankill said:

Not sure why Apple needs to at the "Pro" to an iPad Mini. I guess it is a marketing move.
    Look like they are killing the regular iPad lines. Let's say in 2 years...meaning no refresh for regular iPad until they are phased out.
  • Reply 6 of 57
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    iPad? I rather get a full computer (Mac).
  • Reply 7 of 57
    Oh yes, just what I've been waiting for, a mini Pro. I admit I use my current mini much less than I used to use it after getting my iPhone 6+, but I still do use it for reading PDFs and with proper Apple Pencil support, annotating would be so much nicer and easier as well as taking notes in general. Also, I've put off updating my retina mini in anticipation of its getting the Pro goodies incorporated into it, so this is quite exciting news if true. Combined with a good keyboard, perhaps it would supplant the use of my Air (currently sporting a Zagg keyboard folio, which is great!).
    damn_its_hot
  • Reply 8 of 57
    Cool!...
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 9 of 57
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,277member
    The logic of putting "Pro" in the name it to distinguish from the non-Pro version. 

I hope that Apple does keep a non-Pro version of the iPad around, and hopefully give it a name that's better than "iPad Air 3" and "iPad Mini 5" 

Maybe the "regular" iPad and iPad mini could have the same specs as each other, lag the pro by one generation with respect to most specs (SOC, camera, etc), and lack support for the pencil and keyboard. 

• Reply 10 of 57
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:
    If I were Apple I'd drop the mini and lower the price of the 9.7" iPad to the price of the mini. Then lower the price of the iPad Pro models down to the price of the 9.7" iPad. Just in time for the holidays too. Apple's doesn't need an iPad mini Pro model. There are way too many models of iPads as it is between the different screen sizes, old models, new models, Wifi models, LTE models, Pro models, capacity models, etc. Its just too much IMO. 
    whats wrong with having more choices?

people keep grumbling there isn't a 4 inch flagship iPhone.
    Yet when Apple is rumored to make a flagship iPad mini people say its too much.

iPad Mini - 2 models
    iPad Air - 2 models
    iPad Pro - 2 models

Whats wrong with that? Why limit choices just to claim simplicity? Makes no sense.  Most people know what size they want. Then they choose between 2 models. Easy as pie.

In fact I know many people who would LOVE to buy a 12.9 non-Pro version of the iPad. They don't need pencil support, smart connector, or extra speakers. They just want a larger iPad Air. Truth is Apple will release what ever models that make sense and can sell enough units. If they release a Mini Pro, then from their research they determined there is ample demand for a high powered mini iPad
    It is reminiscent of the period at Apple when Jobs wasn't there, Apple had a huge lineup of products, some good and some bad but in the end the choice in products was too big. When Jobs returned he pointed this out and tried to change it.
    Apple became big again by being simple and elegant. Having three options is more than enough, it makes it easier on Apple to maintain and supply, easier on stores for keeping inventory and easier on the consumer when making a choice on what device to buy.

In my opinion Apple does best when they have no more than 3 models of all products.

iPhone, iPad, iPod, iMac, macbook, appleWatch

Small and light model (Air and mini lineups) -> cheaper for users with low demands, most portable model
    Regular model -> average consumers that with a good balance between portability and utility. (slightly bigger in size, more emphasis on features)
    Pro model -> for Pro users (hence the pro lineup), have the latest of all the technologies with the flip side that it is more expensive and maybe a little bulkier.
    macxpress
  • Reply 11 of 57
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    iPad line is really getting messy. Apple needs to stop designing products around price points and margins. They need to be all about simplicty again.
    canukstormtallest skil
  • Reply 12 of 57
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,280member
    Makes perfect sense. As Apple expands iPad to various enterprise markets, there would most certainly be a demand for a Pro Mini. Maybe there are applications where a 9.7" is too large or just not preferable. Too many commenters can't see past their narrow use cases. Businesses deploy new iPads all the time and usually in large quantities.

Regarding the move to a 10.1" screen. I own a 9.7" Pro and can see how they might squeeze out less than 1/2" more screen size without needing to make it any larger. The top and bottom bezels could be reduced quite a bit and the side bezels maybe reduced a little to accommodate.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 13 of 57
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    sog35 said:
    I wonder what the iPad would be if Steve Jobs was still alive?

I think Apple has done an absolutely amazing job with the iPhone without Jobs. Though my one criticism is they have been a bit late several times. Late with bigger phones (although this could be blamed on Jobs) and late with small bezel phablets. Of course being late is only a temporary problem with Apple.

But IMO, the iPad has not been managed properly by Cook. I own a 3-year old iPad Air and have almost zero desire to upgrade. There simply isn't enough added value in the current lineup unless you want a much larger screen, pencil support, or heavy processing power for games. For common consumers like me, there really isn't anything that compelling to upgrade. And the scary part is I have no idea what feature would make it compelling either!

The iPad is truly in a rut except for certain niche segments. For common folk they are fine with their 3 year old or newer iPads.
    The whole tablet market is in a rut. 
  • Reply 14 of 57
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,699member
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:

iPad Mini - 2 models
    iPad Air - 2 models
    iPad Pro - 2 models

Whats wrong with that? Why limit choices just to claim simplicity? Makes no sense.  Most people know what size they want. Then they choose between 2 models. Easy as pie.

In fact I know many people who would LOVE to buy a 12.9 non-Pro version of the iPad. They don't need pencil support, smart connector, or extra speakers. They just want a larger iPad Air. Truth is Apple will release what ever models that make sense and can sell enough units. If they release a Mini Pro, then from their research they determined there is ample demand for a high powered mini iPad
    choice is good but too much choice can lead to consumer paralysis.  Considering that Tim Cook has said on more than one occasion that the iPad Pro is their vision of the future of personal computing, there's no reason to keep the non-Pro in the line-up. Just have one iPad line that has Smart Connector / Pencil support, better speakers, DCI-P3 screen
    macxpressuraharawilliamlondon
  • Reply 15 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    macxpress said:
    eh not really. pick the size, then pick newer/better/pricier, or get older/cheaper. if you need cellular then add that. not so difficult. 

i use a mini every day and prefer it to the regular for prone reading. 
    edited October 2016 macguiwilliamlondon
  • Reply 16 of 57
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member

appex said:
    iPad? I rather get a full computer (Mac).
    thanks for a completely useless and off topic personal preference for your use cases. 
    chiamacguiwilliamlondonpscooter63fastasleep
  • Reply 17 of 57
    macxpress said:
    eh not really. pick the size, then pick newer/better/pricier, or get older/cheaper. 

i use a mini every day. 
    I just don't see the iPad mini has being the majority of iPad purchases. Maybe you use one yes, but I'd like to think the mini purchases aren't anywhere close to regular iPads. 
  • Reply 18 of 57
    Anything in the rumors about a 2016 launch? I was hoping to get a new iPad Pro this year but the scant rumors are all pointing to 2017. 
  • Reply 19 of 57
    sog35 said:
    macxpress said:

iPad Mini - 2 models
    iPad Air - 2 models
    iPad Pro - 2 models

There are more than 2 models of each kind of iPad. I don't know where you're getting this 2 models thing from. 

The more choices you have, the more it confuses customers. It also makes the iPad more expensive to produce because you have to design and manufacture all of these different configurations. This goes back to the Macintosh Performa lineup back in the early to mid 90's where where were literally 100+ choices with very minor differences. Choice is good, but too much choice isn't always great. 

Apple was better off when they had a very simplistic lineup. Now were getting into this area where its a complete mess. 

edited October 2016
  • Reply 20 of 57
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    iPad Pro still the best, most useful Apple product I've ever owned, other than my Macs. Speaking of which, turns out macOS Sierra has caused my iMac to slow down tremendously since I installed it. Startup time has increased to nearly 10 minutes now, which is completely insane.