Apple's Fouloum data center is the largest foreign capital investment Denmark has ever seen

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple's investment in a Denmark-based data center and related biogas research will nearly hit $1 billion, and make it the largest foreign capital expenditure in the country.

Apple has teamed with Aarhus university in a biogas research and development program. The data center will be situated in Foulum, near Aarhus University's agricultural research centers, central to the research.

"This is a clearly a?benefit?of?Apple's billion-kroner investment in the data centre in Foulum," said Denmark's foreign minster, Kristin Jensen about the deal with the university. "The partnership is a good example of how our targeted efforts to attract foreign companies to Denmark are?producing results."

The data center is said to be 166,000 square meters in area, and Apple notes that it will serve content for the iTunes Store, App Store, iMessage, Maps, and Siri for European consumers. A similar center will be located in Athenry, Ireland.

"This significant new investment represents Apple's biggest project in Europe to date," said Apple CEO Tim Cook in early 2015 when it announced the data center program. "We're thrilled to be expanding our operations, creating hundreds of local jobs and introducing some of our most advanced green building designs yet."

Apple's European data center programs will bring the lowest environmental impact of any Apple data center to date, including the facilities in North Carolina, and Oregon, both of which include sustainable energy plants.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Good news

the sooner Apple is self sufficient in this area the better,

I wonder though what measures if any were intergrated to make it less possible to hand over data to gov agencies.

It be great if Apple could remove the ability to hand over data simply because it relinquished that ability that it couldnt even if it wanted too 

PS : kroner  :D funny name for money
    cali
  • Reply 2 of 6

O all you host of heaven! O earth! what else?           (oh most powerful hosting center)
    And shall I couple hell? O, fie! Hold, hold, my heart; And you, my sinews, grow not instant old,(don't wait one minute... destroy the data now)
    But bear me stiffly up. Remember thee!
    Ay, thou poor ghost, while memory holds a seat   

In this distracted globe. Remember thee!              (the global reach of iCloud... will remember me forever, lest I take action now)

Yea, from the table(t) of my memory                        
    I'll wipe away all trivial fond records,                    (perform a remote wipe of my iPad)
    All saws of books, all forms, all pressures past, That youth and observation copied there;   (all my iBooks, my Numbers worksheets, and all my Notes... gone).

And thy commandment all alone shall live Within the book and volume of my brain, Unmix'd with baser matter: yes, by heaven! O most pernicious woman!      (a simple command, only the scrambled bits in the data center, never being accessible by mere mortals, destroyed in the cloud like Yahoo was by Marissa Mayer)

O villain, villain, smiling, damned villain!
    My table(t)s,--meet it is I set it down, (my stolen iPad and iPhone, useless and discarded by the thief)
    That one may smile, and smile, and be a villain; At least I'm sure it may be so in Denmark...

-Hamlet

• Reply 3 of 6
    Why does the article open with it looking like it is $1 Billion USD when it is actually $150 Million USD? You should really indicate that it is DKK when you list it as 1 Billion.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Why does the article open with it looking like it is $1 Billion USD when it is actually $150 Million USD? You should really indicate that it is DKK when you list it as 1 Billion.
    It spells it out if you actually read the article.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    profprof Posts: 84member
    It spells it out if you actually read the article.
    Yeah, if one reads the citation then it jumps out. Still questionable to not mention the currency next to the huge number in the headline... Hey, let me invest 1 million quickly; IDR of course, thanks for asking...
  • Reply 6 of 6
    How about Apple invests in an Apple Store in Copenhagen area? Denmark has got to be the only country in western/northern Europe without its own Apple Store. That's ridiculous, given the market position of Apple products here.