Apple, Google, Disney unlikely to place bids in Twitter sale, report says

Posted:
in General Discussion
As the rumor mill spins about who will take over ubiquitous microblogging network Twitter, a report on Wednesday puts two of tech's biggest players, Apple and Google, and entertainment giant Disney out of the running.

Citing sources familiar with the matter, Recode reports neither Apple nor Google nor Disney have plans to put in bids for Twitter. Google in particular was thought to be among Twitter's most likely suitors after news broke that mergers and acquisitions advisor Lazard was looking into financials for the internet search giant.

Twitter's hunt for a steward has dominated tech industry talk over the past week, though sources speaking to Reuters cautioned that the bidding process might not result in a sale. That same report said Twitter wants to wrap up negotiations by the time it reports third quarter earnings on Oct. 27.

A number of deep-pocketed companies are supposedly in the running for Twitter, a massive social media platform offering potential buyers unrivaled access to mountains of user data. Aside from Google, Salesforce and Disney were also widely expected to make moves for the company, though Disney has also bowed out, reports Recode

Each of Twitter's suitors -- past, present or future -- have much to gain from the worldwide communications network. Disney might have used Twitter as a distribution outlet, while Salesforce stands to gain a treasure trove of data from which to mine business intel. And Google, well Google likes ads.

For Twitter, a sale could mean an out as advertisers abandon ship to bigger, more populated platforms like Instagram and Snapchat.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    thrangthrang Posts: 1,007member
    I can't imagine Apple ever considered acquiring Twitter, it would do next to nothing for them...
    lolliverjbdragoncwingravSpamSandwichjony0
  • Reply 2 of 6
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Google (and Facebook) would never go for Twitter because they know it would never be approved by regulators.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    thrang said:
    I can't imagine Apple ever considered acquiring Twitter, it would do next to nothing for them...
    I could see them innovating the hell out of it though.

WAIT ONE MINUTE.
     I could see how this acquisition would make perfect sense for Apple. Remember Connect on Apple Music? Almost all artists tweet exclusively. They're tweeting constantly. Integrating Twitter into Apple Music and allowing fans to stay up-to-date with the latest tweets, gossip, drama etc. could be huge for Apple.
    edited October 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 4 of 6
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    All of this stinks of stock manipulation. 
  • Reply 5 of 6
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    There would be absolutely no upside for Apple. Amazon, on the other hand, I could see them buying Twitter for the data mining and ad placement.