iOS 10 tips: Rich notifications enable tvOS text entry from iPhone's lock screen

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 29
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    sockrolid said:
    The Apple TV Remote app on iPhone works infinitely better than the physical Apple Remote.
    The  Watch version of the plain old Remote app is also infinitely better than the physical Apple Remote.
    But no.  Any typing at all is a clunky and terrible experience with any TV interface.
    speaking into the text fields with the remote is pretty stone simple. 
    applepieguy
  • Reply 22 of 29
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    What's the sexy homescreen with the woman? Care to share it?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 23 of 29
    Anyone have a clue how this is done? I have had iOS 10 on my phone since the very first public beta, and have had this Apple TV model for about 6 months, and have never once seen this notification. Not only that, but when I go into notifications, Apple TV Remote doesn't come up at all, and even made sure it wasn't listed there under any other name. Was it just introduced with an update to the Remote app itself?
  • Reply 24 of 29
    I also can't get this to work. I have an iPhone 6S Plus with the latest version of iOS 10 and a 4th gen Apple TV, also updated. I've tried searching in the different stock movie/tv apps as others suggested but can't get the option appear on the notifications screen. I've rebooted and re-paired both devices, as well as re-installing the remote app. From what I can tell, there is no background app activity required for the new Remote app. I do recall seeing the local push notifications on my phone when I initially set up the 4th gen Apple TV, but have seen none since. They text entry does activate when I'm in-app, but only then. I'm not what else to try and get this notification option to appear besides trying factory resets, which I'd rather avoid.
  • Reply 25 of 29
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    I also can't get this to work. I have an iPhone 6S Plus with the latest version of iOS 10 and a 4th gen Apple TV, also updated. I've tried searching in the different stock movie/tv apps as others suggested but can't get the option appear on the notifications screen. I've rebooted and re-paired both devices, as well as re-installing the remote app. From what I can tell, there is no background app activity required for the new Remote app. I do recall seeing the local push notifications on my phone when I initially set up the 4th gen Apple TV, but have seen none since. They text entry does activate when I'm in-app, but only then. I'm not what else to try and get this notification option to appear besides trying factory resets, which I'd rather avoid.
    My iPhone 6s had no issues, but I can't get this to work on my iPhone 7. 
  • Reply 26 of 29
    CDavison82CDavison82 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Ok after much trial and error I found two culprits. The first was if you still have the old blue circle remote app installed along with the new black one you will not get the apple keyboard remote notifications to appear in settings. Once I deleted the old app it showed up. Second was it was after 10pm when my do not disturb was engaged so notifications wouldn't come through. Hope this helps. This drove me crazy!
  • Reply 27 of 29
    sirozhasirozha Posts: 801member
    Ok after much trial and error I found two culprits. The first was if you still have the old blue circle remote app installed along with the new black one you will not get the apple keyboard remote notifications to appear in settings. Once I deleted the old app it showed up. Second was it was after 10pm when my do not disturb was engaged so notifications wouldn't come through. Hope this helps. This drove me crazy!
    This did not work for me. iPhone 7 with the later iOS. I had the old Remote app (blue circle) installed, which came with the restore from an iPhone 5s backup. I deleted it based on your post, but that didn't help anything. I uninstalled the Apple Remote (new one), rebooted, reinstalled the app, etc. I can't get the Apple TV Remote keyboard option to appear in Settings > Notifications. Like I said before, my iPhone 6s  Plus had this option in Settings > Notifications even without having the Apple TV Remote app installed. Additionally, the 6s Plus  never had the old Apple TV Ap (blue circle) installed. 

• Reply 28 of 29
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 29 of 29
    Yep, I just went back in to look, and sure enough, the option is now there under Notifications.  I know this is a late post, but thought I'd update everybody.