Apple gets $119.6M 'slide-to-unlock' verdict reinstated against Samsung

Posted:
in iPhone
Apple won an 8-3 vote at a U.S. federal appeals court on Friday, successfully reinstating a $119.6 million verdict against Samsung for violating iPhone patents including a "slide-to-unlock" concept.

The court ruled that an earlier three-judge panel was wrong this February when it tossed Apple's original win, according to Bloomberg. The trial judge has been asked to consider whether Samsung may owe more money, if there was any intentional infringement.

The earlier decision to toss the verdict was mistakenly based on issues that weren't raised on appeal, or information outside the trial record, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit said in its majority ruling.

The prior three panel judges formed the opposition in the full vote, which reportedly came as a surprise, since the Court of Appeals didn't say it would consider the case before a full panel prior to issuing its opinion. One of the dissenting judges complained that the court shouldn't have moved to a full panel without accepting further legal arguments.

Aside from slide-to-unlock, Samsung is also accused of infringing patents on autocorrect technology and phone number detection. Ironically, Apple no longer uses slide-to-unlock on iOS devices, having moved to a simple button press with September's iOS 10 -- users are then prompted to apply Touch ID or their passcode, if they have either enabled.

Apple and Samsung are just one week away from a much larger battle at the U.S. Supreme Court, where the latter company is hoping to significantly reduce $548 million in damages for other patent violations.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 19
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Now deliver the death blow, Apple. 
    caliapplepieguywatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 2 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    This is obviously a zombie lawsuit. Some things never die. :)

Anyway if I'm reading correctly the previous appeal ruling was overturned because the judge took into account the patents were invalid, and since Samsung had not raised that issue in the appeal patent validity shouldn't have been considered by the judge? Odd stuff. The legal system is just as confusing as the patent system. 
  • Reply 3 of 19
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Hope scum pays till it comes out the nose, these guys are literally in the business of copying Apple, global bull shirt, guess what the next little box of garbage is going to have, yep no prizes : dual cam with Bokeh effect and no protruding home button. It's one thing for others to conform and adapt and "coppy" strong technological trends set by a competitor but there's a point where that just taken too far and Sammy's been at this for years it's totally unconscionable for American law makers to even be entertaining this, the American gov gets more money from Apple then any othere foreighn company doesn't make any sense, is it the offshore holdings ?
    calijbdragonwatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 4 of 19
    Nothing like kicking a dog when they're down. 

Apple killed Samsung in the market long ago so this isn't much more than winning on principle.
    calijbdragonapplepieguylolliver
  • Reply 5 of 19
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    How long has this been? Samsung should just pay up and move on to the next big thing, like the Galaxy Note 6.
    They already "paid up". This is a new invoice. 
    mwhitesingularitySpamSandwich
  • Reply 6 of 19
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Sammy will slither out of it. They always do. They’ve also been busy on the PR front. Lots of (paid?) comments on c|net about how the Note 7 debacle has been blown way out of proportion and it’s not a big deal, and the replacement Note 7 that also blew up was a lie, and...
    watto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 7 of 19
    Now allow those of us that don't have Touch ID on our iPhones and iPads (and iPods) running iOS 10 to be able to Slide-to-unlock again. This has become quite frustrating for me having to double-click the home button and then putting in my passphrase. I allow me to slide to unlock on the bottom of the screen and swipe across the rest of the screen to get the camera or notifications.
  • Reply 8 of 19
    holyone said:
    Hope scum pays till it comes out the nose, these guys are literally in the business of copying Apple, global bull shirt, guess what the next little box of garbage is going to have, yep no prizes : dual cam with Bokeh effect and no protruding home button. It's one thing for others to conform and adapt and "coppy" strong technological trends set by a competitor but there's a point where that just taken too far and Sammy's been at this for years it's totally unconscionable for American law makers to even be entertaining this, the American gov gets more money from Apple then any othere foreighn company doesn't make any sense, is it the offshore holdings ?
    So Apple invented dual cam and bokeh now did they?
  • Reply 9 of 19
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Now allow those of us that don't have Touch ID on our iPhones and iPads (and iPods) running iOS 10 to be able to Slide-to-unlock again. This has become quite frustrating for me having to double-click the home button and then putting in my passphrase. I allow me to slide to unlock on the bottom of the screen and swipe across the rest of the screen to get the camera or notifications.
    I think there's a setting for this already.
    jbdragonnolamacguyapplepieguylolliver
  • Reply 10 of 19
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,362member
    I wonder if Samsung's copied implementation of the Apple "slide to unlock" feature works when you're wearing oven mitts? Hmmm.
    applepieguywatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 11 of 19
    cali said:
    I think there's a setting for this already.

Here's the relevant AI tip: http://appleinsider.com/articles/16/09/30/ios-10-tips-revert-touch-id-from-press-home-to-wake-back-to-rest-to-wake
    aderutterlolliverSpamSandwich
  • Reply 12 of 19
    holyone said:
    No, just another technology that Apple figured would be useful and found ways to implement into their devices and after which Others will try and "emulate" if the word "copy" is a little too evocative for you. Point is Apple sets the standard of how technology should be and everybody els follows period no amount of whining from fandroids will change that, real innovation comes from Cuppetino, that isn't bragging or showing off its a testament to anyone held up in their garge somewhere trying to make miracles that two guys with nothing but sheer talent, guts and an unrelenting will, can create from thin air the most impact full technology company of our time. Here's to all those inspired and attempting to "emulate" similar acts of miracles, in the right way.
    applepieguywatto_cobralolliver
  • Reply 13 of 19
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    holyone said:
    holyone said:
    No, just another technology that Apple figured would be useful and found ways to implement into their devices and after which Others will try and "emulate" if the word "copy" is a little too evocative for you. Point is Apple sets the standard of how technology should be and everybody els follows period no amount of whining from fandroids will change that, real innovation comes from Cuppetino, that isn't bragging or showing off its a testament to anyone held up in their garge somewhere trying to make miracles that two guys with nothing but sheer talent, guts and an unrelenting will, can create from thin air the most impact full technology company of our time. Here's to all those inspired and attempting to "emulate" similar acts of miracles, in the right way.
    Isn't imitation the highest form of flattery ?
  • Reply 14 of 19
    jcs2305 said:
    holyone said:
    holyone said:
    No, Not as a business model that's called IP theft 
    anton zuykovtallest skilwatto_cobralolliverpscooter63
  • Reply 15 of 19
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    jcs2305 said:
    “Mimicry is the most lofty style of praise.” – Samsung
    bestkeptsecretSpamSandwich
  • Reply 16 of 19
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    What slide to unlock? 
  • Reply 17 of 19
    Samsung and Google both copy Apple.

idrey
  • Reply 18 of 19
    Good deal - glad they're making Samsung pay.  Now they can take that settlement and flip it to pay off ~1/2 if the Virnet one.
  • Reply 19 of 19
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    It never rains but it pours.

What I find utterly, madly, ludicrous is that Samsung could not think of anything better, they tried various crazy ideas (as was seen in the trial) but it was completely beyond their ability. Now apple has decided they have a better solution, a simple single button press, so that means that one of the possible solutions that Samsung couldn't come up with was er pressing a button. If nothing else this proves that Samsung is so fixated on copying as many little details as possible that it is simply unable to see other obvious solution that are right in front of it's metaphorical nose.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwich