Apple Watch Nike+ to launch on Oct. 28, Apple says

Posted:
in Apple Watch
The Nike+ edition of the Apple Watch Series 2 will ship on Oct. 28, Apple has quietly announced through its website, finally giving a firm timeframe beyond late October.

The Nike+ is effectively identical to other aluminum-built versions of the Series 2, but with a lighter and cooler perforated Sport Band, and some different preloaded software. This includes extra watch faces, and the Nike+ Run Club app, which on top of tracking runs offers social and motivational functions like leaderboards.

Prices start at $369 for the 38-millimeter version, rising to $399 for 42 millimeters. There are four stock color combinations, with different band and case colors.

The Series 2 is a largely sports-oriented improvement on its predecessor. Its main features are GPS -- particularly useful for runners -- and water resistance to a depth of 50 meters, allowing it to be worn while swimming. It also has a faster processor, however, along with a brighter display.

The Series 2 initially shipped Sept. 16, though international rollouts are still happening.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 13
    Sweet!  I've had mine on order since the pre-order launch date, it's been a long wait but I'm glad it's close and they have an official release date.

I've been using a series 1 for about 8 months now and love it.  As a runner, it's an invaluable tool to help me control my workouts, log my activity, and control my music app while I run without having to fumble for my phone.  I also love being notified of text messages, phone calls and alerts without having to have my phone right next to me.  This is really handy at work where I'm out and about from my office all the time...I don't have to take my phone with me to get email alerts and phone calls (although I don't answer the calls...I can see who's calling me and if they leave a voicemail).

I'm hoping to see some improvements with the Series 2 with regards to input response time.  The Series 1 does suffer from lag, although WatchOS3 improved this significantly.  

I dig these new Nike bands.  I opted for the black and grey version.   
    jahbladegticuscalicdub1watto_cobrawlymtcuprof
  • Reply 2 of 13
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    What? I saw these on display during Series 2 launch day. Anyways I thought the bands were ugly during the keynote but seeing them in person, they're beautiful.
    jahbladewatto_cobra
  • Reply 3 of 13
    I'm excited too. Was hoping to have mine for a half marathon next week but I'll be fine without it. I'll have to get by with my Jet HUD. 

Still very happy with my Series 1 though but will be interested to see the differences between the first and second generation. 

I saw the Nike watches for the first time in person last night at the Apple Store. They are beautiful. 

Cant wait. 
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 13
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'll bet this is the launch day for AirPod availability as well ... would make a cool combo purchase.
    watto_cobragticus
  • Reply 5 of 13
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    I don't have an Apple Watch yet, but are the two sizes gender based?

What I mean is are most women choosing 38mm and men are choosing 42mm?

Or is it totally based on the size of a person's wrist?

If a man is small, are they choosing the 38mm, and if a woman is large are they choosing the 42mm?
  • Reply 6 of 13
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    apple ][ said:

If a man is small, are they choosing the 38mm, and if a woman is large are they choosing the 42mm?
    I don't have one yet, either, but Iextensively tested both sizes near the launch.  When I finally pick one up, it will definitely be the 38, and yes, I am male.  I prefer the 42's display size, sure, but it's just out of proportion on my particular wrist.
  • Reply 7 of 13
    I ordered the black with black. Can't wait!!
  • Reply 8 of 13
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    the original AW is not a Series 1. Series 1 is a new version without GPS and waterproofing, but with the newer processor. for lack of a better term the original is referred to as Series 0. 
    GeorgeBMac
  • Reply 9 of 13
    apple ][ said:

I don't have one yet, either, but Iextensively tested both sizes near the launch.  When I finally pick one up, it will definitely be the 38, and yes, I am male.  I prefer the 42's display size, sure, but it's just out of proportion on my particular wrist.
    Same here, the smaller one just seems to fit better on my wrist size.  Suggest hitting a apple store and trying the 2 sizes on.
  • Reply 10 of 13
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    Anyone know if the running app can be deleted. I want one mainly for the strap design but I have no interest in running or being harassed by a watch into running daily.
  • Reply 11 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    I will be interested to see the Nike version compared to the standard versions now that Watch has OS3 opened up the watch's monitors to third party apps.

That has always been a handicap for prior Watch OS's:   the third party fitness apps did not have access to heart rate data -- which is critical for any high end sports watch.   Now that that is available to the third party apps, I have to wonder what the Nike Watch offers over any other series 2 watch with the Nike App (or any other fitness app) installed?
  • Reply 12 of 13
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    rbonner said:
    apple ][ said:

Same here, the smaller one just seems to fit better on my wrist size.  Suggest hitting a apple store and trying the 2 sizes on.
    I got the 42mm size mostly so the watch functions are more visible and useable -- particularly since my primary justification for it was as a monitor for running.  
  • Reply 13 of 13
    I have to wonder what the Nike Watch offers over any other series 2 watch with the Nike App (or any other fitness app) installed?

For now at least, the watch bands and a couple of faces are unique. That's it. 
    edited October 2016