Macy's opens Apple store-within-a-store in New York

Posted:
in General Discussion
As scheduled, Apple's store-within-a-store at the Macy's Herald Square flagship location in New York opened for business on Friday, granting customers access to a selection of tech giant's most popular products.

Source: AP

Initially announced in September, the Macy's hub sells a variety of top Apple products including iPhone, iPad, MacBook and Apple Watch. According to the Associated Press, the dedicated outlet in New York also stocks the new Nike-branded Apple Watch Series 2.

Modeled after Apple's iconic retail stores, the nooks feature wooden display tables and large vanity shots of products like iPhone 7. Beyond the Apple section, Macy's is also erecting dedicated tech zones selling Apple Watch and other smartwatch devices. The standalone smartwatch areas are being rolled out nationwide at 180 Macy's locations.

In a bid to draw in female customers, Macy's placed the Apple shop on the main floor amidst an assortment of cosmetics and fragrances counters.

"This is one of the most sought-after products," Lundgren said. "We really cater to women better than most retail stores do. I do think that we are going to end up creating a business that is more female-friendly."

Lundgren went on to say the Apple deal was years in the making.

For Macy's, the Apple retail integration is part of a larger initiative to blunt six quarters of declining sales. The turnaround strategy involves creating additional store-within-a-store areas, including an upcoming collaboration with Luxottica that will bring LensCrafters outlets to some 500 Macy's locations over the next five years. The department store is also considering an expansion of its existing deal with Starbucks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Looks nice reminds me of the Best Buy displays without all the crappy electronics around the rest of the store and moronic employees who couldn't tell you the difference between LED and OLED displays but somehow managed to think you're the idiot.

/Best Buy rant. 
    macxpress
  • Reply 2 of 12
    ApplejediknightApplejediknight Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This is a lot better than the dark days when Apple introduced the store within a store concept at CompUSA. To this day I remember how disappointed I was. Thank the Maker Apple opened their own stores.
  • Reply 3 of 12
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,712member
    cali said:
    Looks nice reminds me of the Best Buy displays without all the crappy electronics around the rest of the store and moronic employees who couldn't tell you the difference between LED and OLED displays but somehow managed to think you're the idiot.

/Best Buy rant. 
    Shudder ....

I came to the conclusion a long time ago I can get Amazon to deliver faster than I can served in Best Buy!
    edited October 2016 macxpress
  • Reply 4 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    cali said:

/Best Buy rant. 
    I don't know why Apple even sells in BestBuy. All the ones I go in they talk you out of any Apple product (Mac or iOS device). Basically all I ever use BestBuy for is to see the product in person and then I go buy it on Amazon. 
  • Reply 5 of 12
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,796member
    I really don't know why this is necessary. Why would someone go into Macy's to get an Apple product? Its like going to BestBuy to get a dress. 
  • Reply 6 of 12
    macxpress said:
    Why would someone go into Macy's to get an Apple product? Its like going to BestBuy to get a dress. 
    My wife loves it when I buy her a genuine Black Platinum UltraHD Cocktail Dress with 24k Gold-Plated Hemstitch and Performance Indicators from Monster™!
    *Disclaimer: the producers of this post are legally obligated to disclose the paid sponsorship that created it.  ;)

edited October 2016 macxpress
  • Reply 7 of 12
    levilevi Posts: 344member
    macxpress said:
    I really don't know why this is necessary. Why would someone go into Macy's to get an Apple product? Its like going to BestBuy to get a dress. 
    They're not going after someone with the intention of getting an Apple product. These are customers interested in fashion and beautiful accessories. Trust in their sales and marketing folks. 
    tallest skiljony0
  • Reply 8 of 12
    levi said:
    Trust in their sales and marketing folks. 
    After all, “Apple is nothing more than a marketing company”!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    More female friendly!!  That's a joke!! My Apple store only waits on pretty young females! Everyone else is just left standing there!! That has been one of my biggest dislikes about the Apple store!! No real place to turn to for help all the employees just walking around not really helping anybody then all of a sudden a pretty female walks in and they all rush to help her while all the guys just stand around with their money in their hands and can't get waited on!!
  • Reply 10 of 12
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Macs seem really out of place for Macy's. Seems like they would want to sell watches, phones and iPads ... maybe a Retina MacBook, but that's it. 

On the other hand, I once bought a house full of stuff at Macy's ... everything from Bedroom furniture, to kitchen appliances. I guess I can see buying an iMac there, but that's a lot of inventory for Macy's to keep on hand for what is likely to be only an occasional sale. 

Seems like more than anything, Macy's is trying to get a little of Apple's luster to rub off on them. I wonder if the Macy's near me will get an in-store Apple section so customers don't have to walk to the other end of the mall where the Apple Store is. Reminds me of the two Starbucks within two blocks of each other, and another in-store Starbucks in the grocery store between them.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    captmark said:
    More female friendly!!  That's a joke!! My Apple store only waits on pretty young females! Everyone else is just left standing there!! That has been one of my biggest dislikes about the Apple store!! No real place to turn to for help all the employees just walking around not really helping anybody then all of a sudden a pretty female walks in and they all rush to help her while all the guys just stand around with their money in their hands and can't get waited on!!
    “You’re sexist for drawing attention to this.”
    – Liberals
  • Reply 12 of 12
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member
    macxpress said:
    I don't know why Apple even sells in BestBuy. All the ones I go in they talk you out of any Apple product (Mac or iOS device). Basically all I ever use BestBuy for is to see the product in person and then I go buy it on Amazon. 
    Two reasons: First, Macy's has had losing recent years and been closing stores and trying to cut the reinvent itself.  And second, it's tourists, mainly foreigners, going to Macy's as they would go to Times Square.  Go there on any given day and you won't se many NYCers there. A lot of upper and upper middle class foreign tourists.  They've turned it basically into a big mall, with upscale food chains and more "store within a store"s.  Whether it's successful for Apple, who knows, but just by looking at the new Macy's you get the idea that the strategy is to have all of these sub stores not run by Macy's itself, and with sweetheart per foot costs to encourage these businesses to be there, whether they sell much from the store or even plant the seed for an Amazon buy, which is still a win for Apple, Keurig, etc.  Macy's can probably house all the sub stores at no loss to them even if it's a bad season.