US government bans defunct Galaxy Note 7 from all flights citing fire threat

Posted:
in General Discussion
On Friday several U.S. safety agencies banned the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 from flights, all but killing the usefulness of the smartphone for the few people willing to hold onto it in spite of fire risks.

The Department of Transportation issued an emergency order blocking the Note 7 from all flights starting at noon Eastern time on Saturday, even if a unit is completely shut down. This includes checked and carry-on baggage, as well as cargo flights. The ban is being supported by the Federal Aviation Administration and the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration.

The Note 7 has been labelled a "forbidden hazardous material" under Federal Hazardous Material Regulations. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx issued a statement, saying that "even one fire incident inflight poses a high risk of severe personal injury and puts many lives at risk."

In practice, there are likely to be increasingly few Note 7s in the wild. Samsung halted production earlier this week, and even prior to that was telling people to stop using the phone. Owners are being offered refunds and exchanges, including monetary credit in the U.S. Widespread media reports have painted the device as inherently dangerous.

Dozens of Note 7s have in fact caught fire across the world, even after Samsung issued a recall and attempted to fix the problem. The company is expected to lose at least $5.3 billion in profits as a result.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 50
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    On Friday several U.S. safety agencies banned the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 from flights, all but killing the usefulness of the smartphone for the few people willing to hold onto it in spite of fire risks.

magman1979tallest skilstanthemanwatto_cobrabaconstangpscooter63canadiandudebigkudu
  • Reply 2 of 50
    About bloody time.
    sockrolidtallest skilwatto_cobramagman1979pscooter63canadiandude
  • Reply 3 of 50
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    Blame on me. Looks like I am the only one on several forums keep mentioning unpredictable fire of Note 7 can do the same in mid-air on plane. Need to put under same material as others restricted to carry on plane. At last Government acted.
    macgui
  • Reply 4 of 50
    dougddougd Posts: 292member
    It couldn't happen to a sleazier company. Karma is a bitch
    sockrolidwatto_cobrabaconstangmobiuscanadiandudebigBluntkududamonfxiamenbill
  • Reply 5 of 50
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

The Note 7 has been labelled a "forbidden hazardous material" under Federal Hazardous Material Regulations.

That's hilarious! A forbidden hazardous material! :#

I usually try to avoid all Fandroids like the plague, but I am going to take extra care in trying to avoid Fandroids from now on.

The consequences of not doing so can be deadly.
    sockrolidwatto_cobrastarwarspscooter63anantksundaramcanadiandudebigMacProBluntgticus
  • Reply 6 of 50
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member
    This is IT. For the safety of innocents, FAA put The final nail in the Note's coffin.
    sockrolidwatto_cobramagman1979baconstangcanadiandude
  • Reply 7 of 50
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    I knew this was coming especially with the last fire.  I also suspect Samsung knew this was coming so they wanted to get in front of it.  Not being able to take your smart phone travelling is a big deal.  Having flight attendants, TSA staff, gate and check-in crews constantly discussing your banned device is even worse PR.

I think Samsung is lucky no one was killed by their device, especially by a nightstand fire while families are asleep or a car fire by a charging phone in a garage
    watto_cobramagman1979baconstanganantksundaramcanadiandudebigkudu
  • Reply 8 of 50
    I agree with another commenter on another post, samsung should issue a update that renders the phone unusable or have the carriers somehow disable the units.  Would save time looking around on the flight.
    peterharttallest skilstanthemanmagman1979baconstangcanadiandudebigBluntequality72521palomine
  • Reply 9 of 50
    rbonner said:
    I agree with another commenter on another post, samsung should issue a update that renders the phone unusable or have the carriers somehow disable the units.  Would save time looking around on the flight.
    I second this. I know someone who said "I love it and don't wanna return it but don't want any fires lol." Yes, he included the 'lol' at the end. I just don't understand the mindset. Samsung messed up...I agree with a way to disable every unit globally.
    watto_cobramagman1979cintoscanadiandudebigxiamenbillpalomine
  • Reply 10 of 50
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    Who's gonna bet that there's always gonna be that one dorky android butthead that will take his mobile bomb with him wherever he goes cause "apple fanbois not the boss of me!!" and causing the plane to be grounded?
    peterhartstanthemanwatto_cobramagman1979baconstangcanadiandudebiguraharakudugticus
  • Reply 11 of 50
    tyler82 said:
    Who's gonna bet that there's always gonna be that one dorky android butthead that will take his mobile bomb with him wherever he goes cause "apple fanbois not the boss of me!!" and causing the plane to be grounded?
    This is, 100%, my friend I mentioned above. <Sigh>. 
    watto_cobramagman1979big
  • Reply 12 of 50
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Good. Ban dangerous materials on flight. Fireworks. Firearms. Flammables.

But I agree, that one Android butthead is gonna be powering up the old Molotov Mobile Device on the flight. 

"The government can't control me" -- "The govt is controlled by Apple" -- "It's my right" -- at least the Second Amendment doesn't protect the citizens' right to bear Samsungs.
    watto_cobramagman1979baconstanghmmanantksundaramcanadiandudelostkiwibigpalomine
  • Reply 13 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    wood1208 said:
    This is IT. For the safety of innocents, FAA put The final nail in the Note's coffin.
    Not just the Note's coffin. The whole Samsung phone brand is getting a black eye by this. How do they enforce such a ban? If somebody has a phone that says Samsung on it, won't that get a second look, and questions of whether it's a Galaxy Note 7? What about the over zealous flight attendant hear's Galaxy 7, and confiscates the phone? Nobody is going to to want a Samsung 7 anything.
    watto_cobramagman1979bigkuduxiamenbill
  • Reply 14 of 50
    Samsung has lost way more money on this self-imposed problem than from all the lawsuits that Apple has pursued over the past six years.
    watto_cobramagman1979Rayz2016pscooter63canadiandudebigkudu
  • Reply 15 of 50
    mac_128 said:
    Nobody is going to to want a Samsung 7 anything.
    They may have to retire the ‘Note’ name, even.
    peterhartwatto_cobrabig
  • Reply 16 of 50
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Kick 'em while they're up!  Kick 'em while they're down!  Kick 'em while they're up!  Kick 'em all around!  It's that dirty Samsung!
    watto_cobrabigxiamenbill
  • Reply 17 of 50
    'all but killing the usefulness of the smartphone'

...as someone who signed off air travel for sustainability reasons almost 2 decades ago I find the whole concept of 'airplane mode' both unfamiliar and curious, as opposed to something perhaps more direct such as wireless 'on' & 'off', additionally notwithstanding the logic of turning  something 'on' to actually turn access options 'off'...?

I've owned numerous iPhones (2+) and have frequently found them immensely useful despite (or in fact assisting) not flying ...

Is an obvious irony that one might choose to fly less, or eliminate all discretionary air travel simply by using smart phone features, especially video conferencing?

http://e360.yale.edu/feature/toward_sustainable_travel/2280/
    edited October 2016 netmage
  • Reply 18 of 50
    wood1208 said:
    Should be up to the airlines themselves, not the government. Free market for the win. 
  • Reply 19 of 50
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mac_128 said:
    Nobody is going to to want a Samsung 7 anything.
    They may have to retire the ‘Note’ name, even.
    Yes I've heard that. Which is exactly what Apple should have done with the Apple /// when they finally fixed all the problems.
  • Reply 20 of 50
    mac_128 said:
    Yes I've heard that. Which is exactly what Apple should have done with the Apple /// when they finally fixed all the problems.
    Didn’t they? There wasn’t an Apple IV, after all.