Apple hires Carnegie Mellon AI researcher to work on its own AI tech

Posted:
in General Discussion
A well-known AI researcher, Russ Salakhutdinov of Carnegie Melon University, is joining Apple to direct some of the company's own efforts in the field.

Salakhutdinov announced his new job via Twitter on Monday, simultaneously sharing a link to an Apple listing calling for research scientists familiar with machine learning. Salakhutdinov's role will come in addition to his work at Carnegie Mellon.

Bloomberg noted that Salakhutdinov previously worked at MIT and the University of Toronto, and has specialized in neural networks, which can be essential for voice and image recognition. Some of his past research was funded by the likes of Google, Microsoft, and Samsung.

Apple has dramatically accelerated its machine learning efforts in the past couple of years, establishing a special division and buying firms in the sector such as Turi and Perceptio. A new Japanese R&D facility will tackle the concept.

CEO Tim Cook has suggested that AI will eventually become omnipresent across Apple products. Salakhutdinov might be particularly useful for improving Siri, which some have criticized as a comparatively "dumb" virtual assistant next to ones from companies like Google. Apple's strict privacy standards, though, have made it harder to expand Siri's abilities, since systems like Google Assistant can fetch more data -- including user data -- and thereby offer a way to analyze and improve AI responses.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Buy Watson, or IBM as a means to acquire Watson.
    jony0
  • Reply 3 of 26
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    Watson is pretty limited compared to Siri, but IBM allows anyone to use Watson, you don't have to buy the company. https://www.ibm.com/watson/developercloud/services-catalog.html
  • Reply 4 of 26
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    But can he compete with Ray, that's the question.
  • Reply 5 of 26
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    First project: Get Siri to understand more than, "Set my alarm to 6 am". 
    cali
  • Reply 6 of 26
    mtbnutmtbnut Posts: 199member
    safi said:
    God damn you apple. Fix Siri. Google now on my iPhone destroys Siri no question. People are saying: What the fuck is this company doing ? FIX GODDAMN Siri
    I defended Apple/Siri for a long, long time. Then my wife's work issued her a Samsung phone with Google Now. 

I find it very, very difficult to believe how much better Google Now is than Siri. I mean, I've purposely handicapped my Google Now queries to try and make it a fair fight, but to no avail. I can literally sneeze into Google Now and it would know that I really meant, "Find me a flight that leaves San Francisco tomorrow between 3 pm and 6 pm and gets me into Dallas non-stop." 

Google Now: Done. 
    Siri: Do you want to call your contact Francisco Jones? 
  • Reply 7 of 26
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    Forget artificial intelligence, time for the real thing!
    fastasleep
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    Have to agree. I gave up on Siri ages ago. Aside from setting timers and making shopping lists there's not much else I can do with it. 

The recognition has improved, but the understanding of context is the same sad it was two years ago. It understands a limited set of commands as long as you phrase them in a particular way. I fail to see the intelligence in that. 
    cali
  • Reply 9 of 26
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,293member
    Maybe Siri is redhead and a stepchild 
  • Reply 10 of 26
    mtbnut said:
    safi said:
    God damn you apple. Fix Siri. Google now on my iPhone destroys Siri no question. People are saying: What the fuck is this company doing ? FIX GODDAMN Siri
    I defended Apple/Siri for a long, long time. Then my wife's work issued her a Samsung phone with Google Now. 

I find it very, very difficult to believe how much better Google Now is than Siri. I mean, I've purposely handicapped my Google Now queries to try and make it a fair fight, but to no avail. I can literally sneeze into Google Now and it would know that I really meant, "Find me a flight that leaves San Francisco tomorrow between 3 pm and 6 pm and gets me into Dallas non-stop." 

The sad thing about this is once people have bad experiences they stop using and then if Apple does improve stuff people don't know because they've stopped using it.
    cali
  • Reply 11 of 26
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    mtbnut said:
    safi said:

The sad thing about this is once people have bad experiences they stop using and then if Apple does improve stuff people don't know because they've stopped using it.
    But also, saying that there is no point for Apple to improve stuff because people already lost faith, is also not the way. Apple Map was horrible, and although it took time and efforts, slowly more people starting to use it now. Maybe Apple could rename Siri with something else once every pieces (the AI, etc.) falls into the place. Don't you think it's better for a new brand to gain followers when it does very well, as opposed to improving a "tarnished" brand which already had bad stigma on it.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 12 of 26
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    Seriously? You never buy at market cap, so Apple would have to use up perhaps all their cash to acquire IBM. And it'd probably be a culture clash. Couldn't think of a more strategically risky move tbh. The whole VW Group is way cheaper: 1/3 the price. Acquiring Netflix is way way cheaper—something I think Apple should still consider. No one understands new content like Netflix and they are the number one streaming brand in the world right now. Add to that Apple going after rights to stream sports for every major sport worldwide and they'd still have plenty of money left over and would own the TV business. AI, like everything else in tech is the long game. TV and sport are something to take hold of now so you can become the king of the usable living room.

And with HomeKit it gives you a chance to use that content motivator to become the home hub for automation and eventually use the content leg up as a subscription way to sell them a great AIO TV. Sport, movies, TV, automation, gaming and apps all from a centrally located AIO television. Throw in a bit of live news and you're cooking.
    edited October 2016 canukstormcali
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Siri do Suck. 
  • Reply 14 of 26
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    may be true north is better than watson?
    schlack said:
    Watson is pretty limited compared to Siri, but IBM allows anyone to use Watson, you don't have to buy the company. https://www.ibm.com/watson/developercloud/services-catalog.html
  • Reply 15 of 26
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    mtbnut said:
    safi said:

If Cook doesn't fire someone over this then he should be fired.   Walt Mossberg just had a great article about this.  Of course his examples were fixed after he twitted them, but Google assistant on Pixel is supposed to be even better.
  • Reply 16 of 26
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Apple seems to be improving in this area with the new facility in Japan and this guy. Why are we complaining?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 17 of 26
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    mtbnut said:
    safi said:

:smiley:

Indeed, Google Now is awesome.
    I found out that iOS10 brought Siri a further couple of notches back. 10% of what I said would be understood. Under Google Now it's close to 90%
  • Reply 18 of 26
    blitz1blitz1 Posts: 438member
    Please remember: Siri is still in Beta
    :wink: 
  • Reply 19 of 26
    I would not mind if it would be as is but work with more languages. Or at leas you could tell her in which language to dictate message.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    IBM would have spent at most a few billion developing Watson. IBM has a market cap of $150B. I don't think Apple would know what to do with the rest of the company. That would go down in history as the worst acquisition by any company ever