Patriots head coach punting Microsoft Surface from sidelines, going back to binders

Posted:
in General Discussion
Patriots head coach Bill Belichick has given up on the Microsoft Surface for game planning, and has emphasized the point with a five-minute diatribe on the failings of the NFL-mandated device and associated IT nightmares.

Speaking to NESN's Zack Cox, Patriots coach Bill Belichick derided the tablets, with complaints extending far beyond simply praising football traditional tools, or a rocky rollout of the program.

"I'm done with the tablets, They're just too undependable for me." Said Belichick. "I'm going to stick with pictures, which several of our other coaches do, as well, because their just isn't enough consistency in the performance of the tablets. I just can't take it anymore."

"Inevitably, something goes wrong somewhere at some point in time," added Belichick. "I would say weekly, we have to deal with something."

Here's Belichick's full answer as to why he hates the tablets. Lasted five minutes and 25 seconds. pic.twitter.com/wcSqebtQRu

-- Zack Cox (@ZackCoxNESN)

Belichick pointed to the league's ownership of the hardware as a primary problem, preventing Patriots IT staff from fixing a situation. The teams are provided the gear in the hours before the game, and evidently, it only functions sporadically after being handed over by league officials, leaving little time to pinpoint and rectify the problem.

"We respect Coach Belichick's decision, but stand behind the reliability of Surface. We continue to receive positive feedback on having Surface devices on the sidelines from coaches, players and team personnel across the league," said Microsoft in a statement about the matter. "In the instances where sideline issues are reported in NFL games, we work closely with the NFL to quickly address and resolve."

In October 2014, Microsoft paid $400 million to the NFL for the exclusive rights to be the league's sole provider of tablets for use during the game, including Surface carts with integrated Wi-Fi for on-field use. However, nearly immediately, game play-by-play announcers called the devices "iPad-like tool" tablets on more than one occasion.

In the end of the 2015-2016 season, the playoff game between the Denver Broncos and New England Patriots may have been affected by a high-profile breakdown of Surface connectivity, ultimately pinned on a wide-spread Wi-Fi failure.

Meanwhile, Major League Baseball has an agreement with Apple to provide the iPad Pro for locker room, and dugout use. As of yet, there are no widespread complaints about the underlying technology like there has been about the NFL's adoption of the Surface.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 62
    I am not sure should I smile or laugh 
    cali[Deleted User]magman1979peterharttmaylolliverjahbladeDeelronlongpathradster360
  • Reply 2 of 62

However, nearly immediately, game play-by-play announcers called the devices "iPad-like tool" tablets on more than one occasion.
    Ha ha... "iPad Like Tool"... Freudien... Anyone depending on a Surface as a Tool is apt to like iPads afterwards...

lolliverlongpathargonautanton zuykov
  • Reply 3 of 62
    bulk001bulk001 Posts: 764member
    Schadenfreude. These types of problems couldn't happen to a nicer football team or tablet!
    edited October 2016 calisockrolidlolliverbaconstanglongpathnolamacguycanadiandudeargonautanton zuykovwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 62
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    "We respect Coach Belichick's decision, but stand behind the reliability of Surface..."
    Said Microsoft.

*facepalm*

NFL vs. Apple has been a disaster. From players calling the Surface "knockoff iPads" to athletes wearing Beats(instead of Bose) headphones during interviews.
    edited October 2016 magman1979pscooter63sockrolidlolliverirelandjahbladelongpathdysamorianolamacguyjony0
  • Reply 5 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Wi-Fi in large venues can be really unreliable. Remember when Steve was trying to demo some Wi-Fi feature on stage and it failed because there were something like 500 hot spots in the room. You get 50,000 fans in the seats, you are bound to have hundreds of people with the hot spot on their phone still active even though they aren't even using it. Some technologies just don't scale well and Wi-Fi might be one of them.
    edited October 2016 perkedelbaconstanglongpathjony0
  • Reply 6 of 62
    volcan said:
    Wi-Fi in large venues can be really unreliable. Remember when Steve was trying to demo some Wi-Fi feature on stage and it failed because there were something like 500 hot spots in the room. You get 50,000 fans in the seats, you are bound to have hundreds of people with the hot spot on their phone still active even though they aren't even using it. Some technologies just don't scale well and Wi-Fi might be one of them.
    But the story said that MLB hadn't reported problems similar to those of the NFL. Baseball has plenty of fans in the stands using Wi-Fi as well.
    edited October 2016 revenantsockrolidalbegarclolliverlongpathcalijony0bigwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 62
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    Is it the shortcomings of the device, or the network? Big difference. The same would happen if they used iPads if it is indeed the network. 
    perkedellongpathjony0big
  • Reply 8 of 62
    TomETomE Posts: 172member
    They either work well, or they do not.  Amazing how corporations (MS) don't mind spending money ($400M) to get someone (NFL) to endorse their product. If it were their own Money, Mr Marketing 9MS) would not spend so freely.  $400M would go a long way toward developing something that worked.  

Or the NFL could just buy Apple iPads which do work.  Of course, it is all about the money.  Follow the Money.

longpath
  • Reply 9 of 62
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    As with all technology, it isn't the concept, but the implementation. I'm sure the Surface is a fine machine (o_O) but while tablets have unique capabilities, the gain for risk seems unbalanced.
    longpathbig
  • Reply 10 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    The problem here is that the coach seems to think it's a tablet problem, rather than a Surface problem. The chances are Microsoft have ruined it for everybody, Apple included.
    pscooter63irelandlongpathcalijony0entropysbigargonaut
  • Reply 11 of 62
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,278member
    Is it the shortcomings of the device, or the network? Big difference. The same would happen if they used iPads if it is indeed the network. 
    Indeed -- huge difference. 

Although I wonder if part of it is how dependent the device is on the network? Presumably the paper binders aren't on a network and are still serving a useful function. That function could be served by iPads that also are not on a network, but have data stored locally. 

Maybe part of the deal with Microsoft is that the NFL also has to rely on Azure? So perhaps Microsoft has forced network dependence, resulting in network problems mattering more? 

Obviously this is all blind speculation on my part -- it would be nice to have more details. 
    pscooter63longpathbigargonautwatto_cobra
  • Reply 12 of 62
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    P-DogNC said:
    But the story said that MLB hadn't reported problems similar to those of the NFL. Baseball has plenty of fans in the stands using Wi-Fi as well.
    It really depends where the Wi-Fi router is located. If it is close by like in the locker room or the dugout where it is the strongest signal then it will work a lot better. Stick it out on a the playing field where you might be 100 feet or more from it, there definitely could be some degradation and interference, at least that has been my experience when I'm out in the back yard of my home. I'm not saying the Surface is a good device. I have never used one and not even tempted to try it. I have two iPads. Just trying to look at the problem from different angles. 
    edited October 2016 longpathbig
  • Reply 13 of 62
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,293member
    no big surprise here...nothing is more reliable than an iOS device.  and no--doubt that their wifi is the problem.
    albegarclongpath
  • Reply 14 of 62
    magman1979magman1979 Posts: 1,293member
    volcan said:
    Sorry, but these POS's run Windows 10, and it is known for having SERIOUS problems with connectivity, especially wireless, after the multiple crap updates MS has put out for it. Not to mention the power management / sleep issues, BSoD's, app crashes, battery failures, the list goes on...

The Surface devices are straight-up SHIT, as is the new Windows, and I applaud the coach for coming out and saying it like it is. It's astonishing that MS has the cahoonas to say they stand by the "reliability" of these devices in the face of mounting criticism.
    sockrolidlolliverpscooter63longpathcalijony0argonautanton zuykov
  • Reply 15 of 62
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    And when you have to buy your customers like that … Not good.
    sockrolidlolliverpscooter63baconstanglongpathcalijony0anantksundaramargonautanton zuykov
  • Reply 16 of 62
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    P-DogNC said:
    volcan said:
    The big difference is that the iPads are preloaded, and are completely offline during the game. WiFi isn't an issue if the iPads are offline :)
    magman1979Deelronlongpathjony0
  • Reply 17 of 62
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Aaron Rodgers agrees.
    Just search for "Aaron Rodgers slams Surface" for the video clip.

edited October 2016 magman1979caliargonaut
  • Reply 18 of 62
    chiachia Posts: 713member
    Belichick pointed to the league's ownership of the hardware as a primary problem, preventing Patriots IT staff from fixing a situation. The teams are provided the gear in the hours before the game, and evidently, it only functions sporadically after being handed over by league officials, leaving little time to pinpoint and rectify the problem.
    It seems miserly of the league that for $400 million the teams aren't assigned the tablets to remain in-house. If they're concerned about tampering, cheating or sabotage of the opponents' equipment, simply assign a resident IT NFL official or two to ensure all is in good working order.  Surely they can assign two per team for 400 million dollars?
    If not then make the deal for $450 million, that's assuming $100,000 a year each for two officials at the each of the 32 teams plus "some kickback" on top.
    edited October 2016 jony0
  • Reply 19 of 62
    It's the device and the NFL. I have several friends who are NFL coaches. They hate the Surface Pro's. I know they weren't happy when the NFL forced them to stop using their iPad's during games. All teams still use iPad's for their playbooks. 
    lolliverbaconstangcalijony0chiajibberjmyopiarocksargonaut
  • Reply 20 of 62
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    MS and their junk hardware. A committee and a bunch of nerds.
    edited October 2016 caliargonaut