'Hello again:' Apple sends invitations for event on Oct. 27, new MacBook Pros expected

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited October 2016
Apple on Wednesday issued invitations to members of the press for an event at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters on Oct. 27, where it is expected to unveil a thinner MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar and reversible USB-C ports.

Next Thursday's presentation is expected to be headlined by the revamped MacBook Pro, which comes in both 13- and 15-inch varieties. Also rumored to see a refresh is the 13-inch MacBook Air, though changes to that notebook are not expected to be as significant, as Apple continues to push its more diminutive 12-inch MacBook.

The Oct. 27 event will be held at Apple's corporate headquarters at 1 Infinite Loop. Given that the new "spaceship" Campus 2 is scheduled to open in early 2017, it's likely that next week's Mac-centric event will be the last media presentation held at the current HQ.

The invitations issued Wednesday confirm an earlier rumor suggesting Apple was set to hold an event to take the wraps off of its latest MacBook Pro design.

The biggest change for the professional-grade notebook is believed to be a new dynamic OLED touch bar, which will replace the top row of function keys, allowing for dynamically adjustable input options based on the user's current task or application. Trademark filings suggest the feature could be called a "Control Strip."

Also rumored is the addition of Touch ID to the Mac for the first time. Integrating a Touch ID fingerprint sensor into the MacBook Pro would allow for secure user logins, as well as authorizing transactions through the Apple Pay service in apps and Safari.

Finally, the MacBook Pro is also believed to sport reversible USB-C ports, ditching legacy input methods like USB-A, HDMI, and the SD Card reader. rumors have also claimed that USB-C will be used for charging, replacing MagSafe.

MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek

The 13-inch MacBook Air is also due for an update, though it's unclear how significantly Apple may be inclined to change its design or add new features, considering the 12-inch MacBook with Retina display is now its flagship thin-and-light Mac. Reports have indicated that the 11-inch MacBook Air, meanwhile, will not be updated.

New machines are likely to be powered by Intel's latest-generation Skylake processors and integrated graphics. Dedicated graphics from AMD would likely be limited to high-end 15-inch models, as is currently the case.

It's unclear what, if anything, Apple plans to do with the rest of its Macs, as every other machine in the company's traditional computing lineup is due for an update. It has also been rumored that Apple is preparing a Thunderbolt Retina 5K display with its own separate integrated graphics card, potentially allowing MacBooks to have more pixel pushing power when docked. No reports, however, have indicated that the release of such a display or any other accessories are imminent.
longpath

Comments

• Reply 1 of 142
    What does it mean? :wink:
    edited October 2016 anantksundaramdoozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 142
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    "hello" used for intro of Macintosh. And iMac. Hmmm....
    caliSpamSandwichdysamorialolliverdoozydozenbrakkennolamacguy
  • Reply 3 of 142
    About damn time. This should be good.
    pulseimagesdoozydozen
  • Reply 4 of 142
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    Would seem odd to have an event only for Macs these days, wouldn't it?  I hope there are iPad updates coming, and maybe something new with Apple TV (if not a new unit, then some new functionality).  This is the big quarter for everything, so Apple should be wanting to get some good coverage and focus on these areas.
    cali
  • Reply 5 of 142
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    schlackcalilolliverdoozydozeniqatedo
  • Reply 6 of 142
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar 
    How about an OLED display?
    wreighvenschlackvukasikadoozydozen
  • Reply 7 of 142
    Yes...Yes...YES...YES...YES in my best Beavis & Butthead voice.

My wallet is ready.
    calipulseimageslolliverracerhomiebrakken
  • Reply 8 of 142
    The more important question: what's up with that smoky, deep pink, partially obscured Apple?
    Looks like a repurpose of one of the iOS 9 wallpapers. 

Side note, now I have The Cars in my head. 
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 9 of 142
    volcan said:
    I think this, or a True Tone display, is very likely.  Some vast improvement in screen quality.
    schlackcalipulseimagesdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 142
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

And to think people were just complaining that the invites hadn't gone out yet.

calipulseimagesdoozydozen
  • Reply 11 of 142
    It's Halloween! Fog and smoke! And Pink because October is month of Breast Cancer awareness. Just my thoughts.
    dorkus maximuspulseimagesdysamoriadoozydozenpscooter63randominternetperson
  • Reply 12 of 142
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    ronn said:
    That's a pretty significant and monumental implication ... in that context it's either going to be that impressive, or very disappointing.
    ronncalipulseimagesdysamoriadoozydozenrandominternetpersonSoliadonissmuaddicted44
  • Reply 13 of 142
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,166member
    volcan said:
    No, it's a holographic display. You heard it here first folks
  • Reply 14 of 142
    Looks like a repurpose of one of the iOS 9 wallpapers. 
    And the purpose of that would be....?
  • Reply 15 of 142
    birkobirko Posts: 60member
    Can't type now - too busy dancing with joy. New macbook pro - here I come. Hopefully mac mini as well.
    edited October 2016 pulseimagesdoozydozen
  • Reply 16 of 142
    With the black background and the organic-looking swirls of color, it's likely a reference to the OLED touch bar. Or Apple is going to perform some type of seance at the event and have Steve Jobs make the presentation from "the other side".
    pulseimagesmacky the mackybrakken
  • Reply 17 of 142
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Finally, the MacBook Pro is also believed to sport reversible USB-C ports, ditching legacy input methods like USB-A, HDMI, and the SD Card reader ...
    I hope they keep the SD card reader. I find it very handy while on a photoshoot. I really don't like dongles very much, especially on a portable device.
    baconstang
  • Reply 18 of 142
    My 2010 17" MBP can finally retire. Going to missed the extra 2".

Time to apply for second mortgage
    doozydozen
  • Reply 19 of 142
    Looks like an Apple-shaped aperture..hmm..

Also, that looks like colored dust/chalk, like the kind used at color runs, or at the Hindi holi festival, which I believe has been featured in an Apple commercial before, and which makes for good photo op.
    baconstang
  • Reply 20 of 142
    ronnronn Posts: 653member
    mac_128 said:
    ronn said:
    That's a pretty significant and monumental implication ... in that context it's either going to be that impressive, or very disappointing.
    Yep, I'm probably over thinking it. Pretty much doubt anything but Mac updates (which are overdue).