Potential MacBook Pro OLED function row names include 'Magic Toolbar,' 'Control Strip,' 'Touch Bar'

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
One of the key changes to next week's anticipated MacBook Pro refresh is believed to be a new touch-sensitive OLED screen replacing the function row of keys on the keyboard. Trademark filings by Apple reveal the possible names the company could use to brand it.

MacBook Pro render. | Source: Martin Hajek

In September, trademark attorney Brian Conroy contacted AppleInsider with a list of trademarks covertly filed by Apple internationally, potentially revealing the names of upcoming products. Many of the names proved true at Apple's iPhone 7 event, including AirPods, iBooks Storytime, and the "Everyone Can Code" teaching initiative.

Among the original trademarks were mysterious names that have yet to be used, some of which were flagged as potential names for the anticipated OLED function row. They included "Control Strip," "Touch Bar," and "Smart Button."

Conroy has since self-rebranded as The Trademark Ninja, and this week published a new finding, revealing that Apple is also likely to own the name "Magic Toolbar." That branding would fit in with other products in Apple's Mac lineup, including the Magic Trackpad, Magic Mouse, and Magic Keyboard.

Apple is believed to have filed for the "Magic Toolbar" trademark under the name of a shell company, "Presto Apps America LLC," in the U.S. back in January. Conroy also discovered through international "Magic Toolbar" filings that the same lawyers who filed for Apple's ownership of AirPods are behind the mystery trademark.

All is expected to be revealed in one week, when Apple will hold a media event at its Cupertino, Calif., headquarters on Oct. 27. It's expected that the company will take the wraps off of new 13- and 15-inch MacBook Pros, featuring the yet-to-be-officially-named OLED function row, as well as a thinner chassis sporting reversible USB-C ports, and a Touch ID fingerprint sensor.

Apple is also expected to introduce a refresh to the 13-inch MacBook Air, though the 11-inch model is not believed to be in line for an update this fall.

AppleInsider will be at 1 Infinite Loop live next Thursday with full coverage of Apple's "Hello Again" event. The presentation is scheduled to kick off at 1 p.m. Eastern, 10 a.m. Pacific.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,241member
    Who remembers the Control Strip from pre-OS X days?

That was a handy on-screen device.
    SpamSandwichfastasleeptyler82badmonk
  • Reply 2 of 8
    designr said:
    If it's a real feature (probably is) does anyone seriously it will be called anything but "Magic Toolbar" or, maybe, "Magic Bar"?

If it's called that, it will be something much cooler and useful than that silly artist rendering we have been looking at for months.  For example, if I could move buttons around as easily as moving iPhone icons (without going into Preferences, etc), that would be kind of magical.  It feels weird to me that Apple would give the "Magic" name to a part of a product that can't be purchased separately (unlike Magic Mouse, etc.), but whatever.  I just hope it's amazing.

• Reply 3 of 8
    designr said:
    If it's a real feature (probably is) does anyone seriously it will be called anything but "Magic Toolbar" or, maybe, "Magic Bar"?

"Magic Mike"?
  • Reply 4 of 8
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    Harry Potter and the Magic Toolbar?
    randominternetperson
  • Reply 5 of 8
    mknelsonmknelson Posts: 1,125member
  • Reply 6 of 8
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member

How about the "Function/Utility Bar"? Or "FUBAR" for short?

I'm actually more excited about it because I don't know what they're going to do with it. It could just be re-assignable keys, or they could have a whole range of functionality we haven't even thought of. (My money's on the latter. If it's the former, I think most people will see it as a failure.)

• Reply 7 of 8
    If they do this (and I expect it), I hope the Magic Strip is bigger than that skimpy 1cm thing in the artists rendering.  Sure, that's how big the gimpy little function keys are, but without more "height" the UI will essentially be only 1-dimensional (no up-and-down swipe for example).
    badmonk