Kanye West blames conflict between Apple Music & Tidal for missing projects

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV
Business conflicts between Apple Music and Tidal are have been blocking some potentially popular projects from happening, rapper Kanye West claimed in surprise comments during a Seattle concert on Wednesday.

Before performing the Drake song "Pop Style," West took time out to explain why the original version of the song -- with guest verses by him and Watch the Throne collaborator Jay-Z -- somehow didn't end up Drake's Views album, according to The Fader.

"Y'all didn't get, what y'all were supposed to get with me and Drake on this song because of some Tidal/Apple b______t," West said. Both West and Jay-Z are co-owners of Tidal, while Drake has developed extremely close ties with Apple. The video for "Hotline Bling" was funded by Apple, for instance, and Views was a temporary Apple exclusive when it launched in April.

While West blamed other factors as well for the "Pop Style" debacle, he also suggested that the Apple/Tidal conflict may be preventing a second Watch the Throne album.

Earlier this year rumors hinted that Apple might consider buying Tidal. West in fact openly invited takeover talks, apparently frustrated with exclusivity deals. In September, though, Apple executive Jimmy Iovine quashed the idea that the company would buy Tidal or any other competing streaming service.

Both Apple and Tidal have relied heavily on exclusives -- sometimes to the detriment of customers, who may find they can't listen to a song or album by a favorite artist. Even label Universal Music has turned against the idea, instituting a ban on exclusives for its artists after rapper Frank Ocean exploited the system in dealings with Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 58
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    Does that include the conflict he created?
    longpathtmaymagman1979caliEsquireCatsgreginnjapplepieguycornchip
  • Reply 2 of 58
    JinTechJinTech Posts: 1,022member
    sog35 said:
    Lets not even talk about the article. This loser deserves no attentionl

Who likes pancakes vs waffles?
    I vote for waffles. The syrup gets trapped in the squares and when you take a bite it's so good!
    Solilongpathtmaymike1jkichlinemagman1979DeelronEsquireCatsdasanman69greginnj
  • Reply 3 of 58
    F this loser.
    longpathdasanman69greginnjwatto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 4 of 58
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:

I vote for waffles. The syrup gets trapped in the squares and when you take a bite it's so good!
    I don't eat any of that stuff, too much, but pancakes are last. Waffles and French toast can be my primary choice on these rare occasions—I can't say which I like better, only that I never get a craving for pancakes.
    longpathDeelronEsquireCatsbaconstang
  • Reply 5 of 58
    I like fish sticks. Just like Kanye.
    lostkiwilordjohnwhorfinjkichlineesoombaconstang
  • Reply 6 of 58
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Funny, I think Apple was saying the same thing just the other day... Imagine the innovation they could create if they didn't have to spend half their time worrying about lawsuits from assholes like Kanye.
    longpathlostkiwilordjohnwhorfinSpamSandwichgregg thurmangreginnjwatto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 7 of 58
    sog35 said:

Hmmm, let's see, the guy is worth $142 million, he has got a nice bubble butt woman in his arms and they're making beautiful babies...  
    Even AI is writing about him.

When you think about it, you can't seriously call him a loser.

edited October 2016 patchythepiraterevenant
  • Reply 8 of 58
    What a wanker!

I prefer pancakes myself as they soak up the syrup. 
    longpathlordjohnwhorfinmagman1979SpamSandwichEsquireCatsapplepieguy
  • Reply 9 of 58
    sog35 said:

Waffles, of course. With sausage.
    longpathmagman1979SpamSandwichEsquireCatsgreginnjbaconstanglightknightapplepieguycornchip
  • Reply 10 of 58
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    This quy and his following sucks. His wife went to Paris with ten million dollars of juwelery. So glad she got robbed. Scumbags!
    edited October 2016 watto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 11 of 58
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    sog35 said:

Curious , What has Kanye ever done to you for you to have the right to call him a looser when his worth millions ? What have you done that's so great ?
  • Reply 12 of 58
    People hate Kanye, but there is no denying that Kanye with the Apple platform would be huge for both. Look at how Drake/Apple have worked together....At the end of the day, no country singer/rock star have the super star following like Drake/Kanye have and I'm sure somewhere Apple is feeling the same way as Kanye is about not working together.
  • Reply 13 of 58
    sog35 said:
    It depends, you know? They both have their place. I like pancakes more in winter, I think, and waffles in the summer. The former are more cozy. Summer is more a ‘crunch’ season.

Also, thanks a lot, now I want pancakes.
    Soli said:
    …French toast…
    Now you’ve done it. I can’t decide.
    edited October 2016 Solimagman1979revenantdasanman69
  • Reply 14 of 58
    sog35 said:
    holyone said:
    sog35 said:

Curious , What has Kanye ever done to you for you to have the right to call him a looser when his worth millions ? What have you done that's so great ?
    being rich does not make you a winner.
    Just means you convinced many losers to give you money.

• Reply 15 of 58
    The image says it all...

edited October 2016 holyonecornchip
  • Reply 16 of 58
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    markiezyy said:
    People hate Kanye, but there is no denying that Kanye with the Apple platform would be huge for both. 
    I'm not a big gangster rap fan. iTunes store used to have a lot of those types of artists prominently featured on the main page but not so much lately, which makes sense since rapper's typical hate filled, vulgar lyrics are in stark contrast to Apple culture.
    edited October 2016 entropyslolliveravoidMLMschemeswatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 58
    sog35 said:

Hmmm, let's see, the guy is worth $142 million, he has got a nice bubble butt woman in his arms and they're making beautiful babies...  
    Even AI is writing about him.

When you think about it, you can't seriously call him a loser.

[image]
    holyone said:
    sog35 said:

Why can't you have an opinion about someone based on their words and action? Being wealthy shouldn't have a bearing on whether you think he's a loser or not as such a term is defined by the person.

Personally, I don't think he's a loser, but I think he's a huge asshole. I could list examples to support my opinion, as well as counters that show he's a decent human being. I'm also a fan of music. I think his My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy album from 2010 is the best album of the 21st century; yet, I think he's a douchnozzle.
    macxpressentropyscornchip
  • Reply 18 of 58
    Soli said:
    JinTech said:
    sog35 said:

I don't eat any of that stuff, too much, but pancakes are last. Waffles and French toast can be my primary choice on these rare occasions—I can't say which I like better, only that I never get a craving for pancakes.
    I think French toast is best, but also the most "risky."  I can't think of the last time I had a bad waffle, but undercooked French toast is disgusting.
    cornchip
  • Reply 19 of 58
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,033member
    Pancakes and waffles both have their place at the table.  I don't think this discussion should continue without proper consideration of crepes.   If I had to pick one of these things, I would go with crepes.

oh and on the other subject, I wonder how the apparent insurance fraud is working out.
    tallest skilcornchip
  • Reply 20 of 58
    It seems to be that a more honest statement would have simply blamed it on disagreements between Drake and Kayne.  But I get it sounds more impressive and makes him less culpable to blame Tidal and Apple.
    entropyscali