China beats iOS App Store records in Sept. quarter with $1.7B in revenue

Posted:
in iPhone
China is now Apple's greatest source of revenue for the iOS App Store, after the country not only topped the U.S. in the third quarter but generated the highest-ever App Store revenue for any country.

China pulled in $1.7 billion, 15 percent more than the U.S., according to analytics firm App Annie. The U.S. had maintained dominance since 2010, but in the past year China's growth has accelerated dramatically, surpassing both the States and now third-place Japan.

App Annie attributed much of this to games, particularly Pokemon Go, which people were playing in China before it was even officially available there. The game has achieved "unprecedented global revenue," the firm said.

Other major categories have also seen surges though, at least tripling their revenue -- Entertainment, for instance, leapt from about $100 million to $350 million.

Chinese revenues are expected to continue climbing, despite the increasingly tough smartphone market. Local smartphone brands like Huawei and Xiaomi have beaten back the iPhone to a degree.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Glad to see intellectual property getting more respect in China.
    calianton zuykovbaconstangmagman1979
  • Reply 2 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    I wonder how much forked android in China has generated? Oh and who gets paid since google isn't allowed.?
  • Reply 3 of 12
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I'm done with MacRumors. Implausible community.
    magman1979monstrosity
  • Reply 4 of 12
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    ireland said:
    I'm done with MacRumors. Implausible community.
    All too plausible here in whine country, sorry to say. How about insufferable?
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 5 of 12
    30% = $500 million, I'm not sure the word 'only'applies!!!
    calianton zuykovxzu
  • Reply 6 of 12
    but...
    That won't save Apple from a Wall St downgrade while MS gets a pat on the back.
    No matter what Tim Cook and co does, Wall St will carry on using APPL as a shorting stock.
    These New Macs had better beat the new Surface.
  • Reply 7 of 12
    gilly33gilly33 Posts: 434member
    That's incredible. Wait for it...? I'm sure I can hear the faint groan of the haters. 
  • Reply 8 of 12
    Billions of population pay off.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 9 of 12
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Billions of population pay off.
    But but fandroids say Apple is losing in china!!!!
    baconstangmagman1979
  • Reply 10 of 12
    kestralkestral Posts: 308member
    If they make the App icon gold maybe it'll increase more sales.

But seriously, that's why we have gold iPhones, because of China and India.

They're the new target audience now.

Would not be surprised if Apple products cater less and less to the upper middle class educated North American demographic.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Apple has epic failed in China. It’s all over but the crying. I read this on the Internet and if it’s on the Internet it must be true. Cheap knockoffs rulz.
    singularitymagman1979cali