Apple design head Jony Ive collaborates on Claridge's Christmas tree in London

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple design officer Jony Ive's next one-off project will be a collaboration with designer Marc Newson on the 2016 Claridge's Christmas tree, a staple of the holiday season in London.

Dolce & Gabbana's version of the tree.
Dolce & Gabbana's version of the tree.

The tree will be unveiled on Nov. 18 in the Claridge's hotel lobby, according to an announcement. For seven years now the hotel has been inviting guest designers to work on the tree, some other examples coming from firms like Burberry and Dolce & Gabbana.

Ive has close ties with Newson, for instance having worked together on a number of projects sold at auction for charity -- including a special red version of the Mac Pro.

Two years ago Newson was even hired to work part-time at Apple, likely on the Apple Watch. He may have also contributed to past Apple products in a stealth capacity.

As chief design officer, Ive is thought to be taking less of a day-to-day role at Apple, which may help afford the time for work like Claridge's.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    What the hell...?
    bdkennedy1002doozydozen
  • Reply 2 of 18
    TWATWA Posts: 4member
    Is it so thin and beautiful that it doesn't even function like a Christmas tree anymore?
    Roger_Fingasdoozydozenholyonecali
  • Reply 3 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    I think it's great that Ive has time to breathe within his time at Apple. This is what keeps one of the most talented designers in the world from getting fed up with his employer. And working on this outside Apple? Very much might provide inspiration for a great idea within Apple. Not understanding this is misunderstand both the designer and how ideas appear and ferment. Like how some didn't understanding why is spending such a great amount on the new campus.
    edited October 2016 peterhartpscooter63viclauyycdoozydozencali
  • Reply 4 of 18
    I still have the impression Marc Newson was hired as Jony's old buddy so he'd have someone to talk to. Newson as a designer has some seriously unimpressive (ugly looking) work.
  • Reply 5 of 18
    I couldn't have made it through the day without knowing this.
  • Reply 6 of 18
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    sog35 said:
    ireland said:
    I think it's great that Ive has time to breathe within his time at Apple. This is what keeps one of the most talented designers in the world from getting fed up with his employer. And working on this outside Apple? Very much might provide inspiration for a great idea within Apple. Not understanding this is misunderstand both the designer and how ideas appear and ferment. Like how some didn't understanding why is spending such a great amount on the new campus.
    iPhone 7 design is BLAH compared to friken Samsung.
    I disagree. Samsung and their chintzy glossy finishes, and yes, corners cut on safety and engineering to merely beat a competitor to market—unforgivable.
    edited October 2016 SpamSandwichdoozydozencalijony0
  • Reply 7 of 18
    sog35 said:
    So Jonny Ive is wasting his time with Christmas trees while a POS company like Xiaomi releases a near bezeless phone?

Apple seriously needs a shake up.

Ive needs to be reassigned and iPhone/iPad/Watch needs a new head designer.

Tim Cook needs to be demoted to COO. I'm sorry the guy has ZERO idea how to impress Wall Street. The stock is down nearly $5 this morning even though it beat expectations, and guidance blew away expectations. The main reason? The market has zero faith in Cook.

Cook just isn't a vision guy. He needs to be replaced ASAP

The day Apple wants to impress Wall Street is the day Apple ceases to be Apple. 
    irelandviclauyycdoozydozencalijony0
  • Reply 8 of 18
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Apple is slowly becoming a parody of itself.

I think guys like Cue, Cook, and Ive are getting fat and satisfied. Its time for some new blood at the top.

Once someone reaches 40-50's they lose innovative thinking. We need guys at the top in their 20-30's

Cue, Cook, and Ive don't take risks anymore. They are not daring enough. Not innovative enough. They are so scared of making mistakes. They call taking away a headphone jack, courage. No. 

We need some 20-30's year olds to bring fresh ideas, to take risks.
    Sog's quarterly meltdown already?

Where does the time go?
    doozydozencalijony0ireland
  • Reply 9 of 18
    sog35 and his ilk have gone far to make article commenting into a public toilet of cynicism. What a stench!
    doozydozenjony0
  • Reply 10 of 18
    sog35 said:
    So Jonny Ive is wasting his time with Christmas trees while a POS company like Xiaomi releases a near bezeless phone?

Tim Cook needs to be demoted to COO. I'm sorry the guy has ZERO idea how to impress Wall Street. The stock is down nearly $5 this morning even though it beat expectations, and guidance blew away expectations. The main reason? The market has zero faith in Cook.

So Apple employee can't use their own free time?
    doozydozencaliireland
  • Reply 11 of 18
    viclauyyc said:
    sog35 said:

So Apple employee can't use their own free time?
    What free time? 
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 18
    Why the tree is not all white with flat surface?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    viclauyyc said:
    Just an aircraft grade milled aluminium pole.

Happy Festivus!
    edited October 2016 doozydozen
  • Reply 14 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Tree?
  • Reply 15 of 18
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    viclauyyc said:
    That's not the tree...
  • Reply 16 of 18
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    sog35 said:

you didn't know he decorated tree by iphone 8?  bezel-less phone- why is so good?  the good master painting all got picture frame as part of design, did you see many hanging in museum without?  The Frame is part of master piece.  (just don't drop it on the corner - wondering if xiaomi phone need to pass drop test specified by std - 8 corners, 6 faces, 4 edges plus random).   Cook is hand picked by Jobs... try to get Jobs pick another? 
  • Reply 17 of 18
    1st1st Posts: 443member
    hmm, just saw the bezel-less info from Xiaomi, it is only a concept phone... I see.  possibly not pass the drop test yet... (but other mi phone got display repair kit sell on web... not cheap, 99.00 per package).  wow.