Apple to announce 'watch list' TV discovery app at Oct. 27 event - report [u]

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited October 2016
One of the things Apple reportedly plans to showcase at its Oct. 27 event is a new app that will let people find new shows based on what they watch on an Apple TV.

The app has been described as "the Watch List" to network executives, but will take on a different name when it actually reaches the public, sources told USA Today. The people didn't describe exactly how the app would work, or even which platforms it will appear on, but the main concept is to centralize recommendations from multiple content providers. A person subscribed to FX, for example, might be steered towards watching Atlanta.

The app may be as much a way of attracting networks to the Apple TV, giving them a place to have shows publicized.

It could be related -- or identical -- to Apple's rumored viewing guide for the Apple TV, though industry executives were previously said to be worried that the guide would diminish their ability to promote their own shows.

The usefulness of a guide and/or recommendation app may be dependent on the availability of single sign-on support on the Apple TV. The feature was originally supposed to launch alongside tvOS 10, but is still missing even after this week's tvOS 10.0.1 update, which could mean that Apple will announce yet another tvOS update on Thursday.

Update: Recode offers a few more details on the TV guide app, saying the service aggregates available streaming content and directs users to that content via deep links that work on tvOS and iOS. Further, the company intends to implement the new single sign-on feature announced earlier this year.

While a number of content providers are said to be on board, major streaming service Netflix is not among the initial partner list, the report said.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    With breakthrough products like "Watch List," it truly is amazing that Apple revenue is declining.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    "Watch List"? Oh, no. That better not be the name. "Terror watchlist" is the first thing that comes to mind.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    They better announce a new AppleTV.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    cali said:
    Prepare to be disappointed.
    SpamSandwichdoozydozen
  • Reply 5 of 16
    cali said:
    LOL
    doozydozen
  • Reply 6 of 16
      Wow so much in the comments. 

sog35 said:
    So this is what Apple calls innovation now 

Apple didn't call this rumor "innovation".
    You're acting like all the idiot fandroids who put words in apples mouth.

Chumlines said:
    With breakthrough products like "Watch List," it truly is amazing that Apple revenue is declining.

From what I'm reading it seems like a breakthrough feature for networks and a steppingstone for Apple to get into content distribution.  Also Apple revenue isn't declining. 

"Watch List"? Oh, no. That better not be the name. "Terror watchlist" is the first thing that comes to mind.

The article says this won't be the final name and this is still a rumor.

doozydozenequality72521
  • Reply 7 of 16

sog35 said:
    So this is what Apple calls innovation now 
    When Eddy Cue shows up late to a meeting with CableTV execs, and wearing a Hawaiian shirt and flip-flops, it is no surprise he could not strike a deal.  So this is what you get instead.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 8 of 16
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Of all the things in this world I don't need, TV show recommendations from a computer are right up at the top. 

More @internetofshit  

• Reply 9 of 16
    eightzero said:
    Of all the things in this world I don't need, TV show recommendations from a computer are right up at the top. 

More @internetofshit  

Doesn't this rumor say it's an app?
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cali said:

I didn't say I was expecting it. I'm not a slave to rumors either
  • Reply 11 of 16
    rwesrwes Posts: 200member
    cali said:
    Aside from 4K support, which supposedly could be enabled via a software update by Apple, would there be any benefit to a hardware refresh?

IMO, everything -needed- (obviously, I don't know everything that is needed) is accomplishable via software and the A8 in the 4th Gen Apple TV is probably a litlte underutilized unless gaming, which unless its basic gaming, isn't the 4th Gen Apple TV's strong suit anyway?
    doozydozen
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Tim Cook, needs to go.  Apple is the old Microsoft of old!!!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    Nachin said:
    Tim Cook, needs to go.  Apple is the old Microsoft of old!!!
    Great job on your first post — we can't wait to hear your myriad nuanced opinions to come! 
  • Reply 14 of 16
    Also, search Reelgood on your AppleTV.... they basically built the same thing already

• Reply 15 of 16

I'm tied to cable with a box that is a collaboration with Sky. It lets me record about 100 GB of programs but gives me no option to search for anything specific.

The never-ending scrolling, combined with the sheer insanity that is the Netflix UI makes it a pain to get to what I want to watch.

It's easy to laugh at something like Watchlist, but the joke isn't on Apple. It is the sad state of affairs that something so simple has not yet been implemented (at least in my scenario).