Microsoft debuts Surface Studio all-in-one PC, refreshes high-end Surface Book

Posted:
in General Discussion edited October 2016
Alongside the 28-inch all-in-one Surface Studio PC, Microsoft's new Surface Book i7 announced Wednesday is said to triple the performance of the current high-end 13-inch MacBook Pro.

Surface Studio

The new Surface Studio has a 28-inch display, at 192ppi, containing 13.5 million individual pixels, with Microsoft's TrueColor display technology. Microsoft's TrueColor implements the DCI-P3 color space, the same as Apple's implementation of Wide Color on the iPhone 7 and the iMac 5K.

Physically, the Surface Studio can tilt to vertical down to about 25 degrees above flat, for use as a drawing surface.

Other features of the Surface Studio include a quad-core Skylake sixth-generation Intel processor, an Nvidia 980M GPU, a 2 TB hybrid hard drive, Mini DisplayPort, 32GB of RAM, implementation of the Xbox wireless protocol for game controllers, and 2.1-channel surround sound speakers. The base of the Surface Studio contains an SD card reader, four USB 3.0 ports, and Gigabit Ethernet.

The computer comes with a wireless keyboard and mouse. Additionally, a new Surface Dial wireless input device is included with the computer with haptic feedback provided to the user through the wheel itself. The Surface Dial is recognized by the screen on the Surface Studio -- and recent Surface and Surface Book products -- with contextual app-relevant notifications provided to the user after contact with the screen.

The Surface Dial is also available as a separate purchase for older devices.

The Surface Studio can be pre-ordered today -- demonstration units will be at Microsoft Stores on Thursday. Prices begin at $2,999 for an i5 Processor with 8 GB of RAM. The configuration demonstrated at the Microsoft event, with 32GB of RAM and a quad-core i7 processor, will sell for $4,199.

Only "limited quantities" will be available before 2016 ends.

Surface Book i7

The company claims that the new Surface Book i7 has up to 16 hours of battery life. The older Surface Book models remain unchanged.

The unit is also said to have double the graphical performance of the older Surface Books that remain on sale, and Microsoft made a point to mention that it was three times faster than the high-end 13-inch MacBook Pro from 2015. No comparison was drawn to the high-end, but still dated, 15-inch MacBook Pro that has a more similar price to the Surface Book i7.

Specific technical details of the Surface Book i7 are not yet known.

Pre-orders for the Surface Book i7 begin now, with a November availability, and a retail price of $2399.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 198
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    nolamacguybaconstangtallest skildoozydozenwilliamlondonjony0argonaut
  • Reply 2 of 198
    Hate to say it, but I can imagine there will be a lot of interest for that large screen Surface for illustrators, designers and possibly even musicians.
    polymniafotoformatbaconstangicoco3doozydozenaylkjony0ilyoeshinbrian greenDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 3 of 198
    Give me a break. It's just another PC with "Surface" name slapped over it. Lame.
    Update: after watching the video, uh.... not bad.
    edited October 2016 aylkilyoeshin
  • Reply 4 of 198
    These computers may be remarkable and have ridiculous prices, but every time I walk by the Microsoft Store in the mall, it's empty.
    nolamacguyphotosmatterpeterhartdoozydozenwilliamlondonjony0argonaut
  • Reply 5 of 198
    AppleDuffAppleDuff Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    hahahaha....I have been an Apple enthusiast for a decade....but cmon....stop being fanboys...This looks like a great product. MS taking a bite out of Apple's share of the designers......This is good for the industry.....
    SpamSandwichkududjkfisherdoozydozentokyojimuaylkbrian greenLeBart1968DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 6 of 198
    Microsoft out innovating Apple in PCs. Never thought I'd ever say that. I was looking at getting an iMac but the Surface Studio made me pause and reconsider. I'm intrigued. Will definitely test it out when it comes out.
    SpamSandwichyelloliondoozydozenaylkbrian greenLeBart1968DavidAlGregory
  • Reply 7 of 198
    NY1822NY1822 Posts: 621member
    awkward drawing on a slant with your elbow slightly raised and hunching forward...cool
    jkichlinebaconstangphotosmatterdoozydozenwilliamlondonargonaut
  • Reply 8 of 198
    cali said:
     Out of all days they decide to announce an iMac clone the day before Apple special event. Coincidence? 
    Which iMacs let you touch and draw directly on the screen?
    yellolionicoco3doozydozenaylknetroxrevenantbrian greenDavidAlGregory
  • Reply 9 of 198
    The downside to the Surface studio is portability.  It's a great design but mimics Wacom Cintiq line. Wacom has the new mobile studio pro that may fit the needs for artists.  I feel both Apple and Microsoft pens aren't the best due to reliance on bluetooth and battery.  I'm glad to see more options available from every company so now it's time for users and solid reviews to come out over the next few months.  http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-computers/wacom-mobilestudio-pro
    baconstangdoozydozen
  • Reply 10 of 198
    Yeah, that looks really nice (not joking). I would say I'm not going to buy a new iMac until Apple gets creative once again and does something like that. If that thing was a Mac I'd buy it, but I hate Windows OS. 
    SpamSandwichbaconstangyellolionsflageldoozydozenaylkKolvorokravnorodombrian greenLeBart1968
  • Reply 11 of 198
    cali said:
    I would hardly call that an iMac clone.  You obviously did not watch the video to see what the computer can actually do.  Creative professionals would actually find that computer to be quite useful, even if it is running Windows 10.  
    icoco3doozydozenaylkcanukstormbrian greenLeBart1968singularity
  • Reply 12 of 198
    Give me a break. It's just another PC with "Surface" name slapped over it. Lame.
    Update: after watching the video, uh.... not bad.
    Exactly. Not bad for Microsoft! I have never in my life wanted a Microsoft product, but now I am seriously considering this. I can't believe it.
    edited October 2016 sflagelaylkbrian greenLeBart1968
  • Reply 13 of 198
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    Dead in a year.

iMac clone and iPad Pro copycat.

At brutal prices, too. 

In trying to mimic Apple (poorly) MS is pricing themselves out of their own market, and into a market into which they don't belong and don't understand. 

ronnphotosmatterHerbivore2williamlondon
  • Reply 14 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    awkward drawing on a slant with your elbow slightly raised and hunching forward...cool
    Same angle as a drafting table -- or anything greater.

fotoformaticoco3doozydozenration alaylkblurpbleepbloopbrian green
  • Reply 15 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    Ever work on a drafting table or an easel?
    edited October 2016 fotoformatirelanddoozydozenration alaylkblurpbleepbloopbrian greenLeBart1968
  • Reply 16 of 198
    Dead in a year.

iMac clone and iPad Pro copycat.

At brutal prices, too. 

In trying to mimic Apple (poorly) MS is pricing themselves out of their own market, and into a market into which they don't belong and don't understand. 

I disagree!  I would easily pay that price or more for an Apple product with those capabilities!

Can't innovate -- Panos' ass!

anantksundaramdoozydozenaylkcanukstormLeBart1968
  • Reply 17 of 198
    The downside to the Surface studio is portability.  It's a great design but mimics Wacom Cintiq line. Wacom has the new mobile studio pro that may fit the needs for artists.  I feel both Apple and Microsoft pens aren't the best due to reliance on bluetooth and battery.  I'm glad to see more options available from every company so now it's time for users and solid reviews to come out over the next few months.  http://www.wacom.com/en-us/products/pen-computers/wacom-mobilestudio-pro
    Wacom wants $2,200 for something much smaller and less capable? They're toast.
    irelandaylk
  • Reply 18 of 198
    holyoneholyone Posts: 398member
    Clever MS announce you're shit and compare it to outdated Apple hardware, right before Apple drops the new monstrosity you know will wipe the floor with anything you could make in a 1000 days, even with a lead like that, nice try though, and no matter how many times you mention Mac Book in you're key note as some kind of distorted comparison and bogus proof of superiority, If It Ain't A Mac, It Ain't A Mac :) sorry try harder
    quadra 610ronnhydrogenmwhitedoozydozenration alwatto_cobra
  • Reply 19 of 198
    That is a sweet looking piece of technology. The price is out of the reach of most buyers, but I bet that it will get a lot of interest. It is something I would have expected from Apple.  Can't wait to see what Apple has in store for tomorrow, but I  am expecting to be underwhelmed. Macs have been sadly ignored by Apple for a long time. 
    doozydozenaylkbrian green
  • Reply 20 of 198
    NY1822 said:
    I'm an illustrator artist, and while watching the presentation those were my thoughts exactly. Though a very nice PC I'd rather put my money in an iPad Pro I can move around to fit my drawing style.
    nolamacguyirelanddoozydozenravnorodom