Apple's wireless AirPods hit delays, won't meet October launch window

Posted:
in General Discussion
Apple on Wednesday revealed that its highly anticipated, entirely wireless AirPods earbuds will not ship within their originally advertised timeframe, finding their way into the hands of consumers later this fall.

"We don't believe in shipping a product before it's ready, and we need a little more time before AirPods are ready for our customers," Apple said in a statement issued to TechCrunch. Further details for the delay were not revealed.

It now appears that Apple's new Powerbeats3 workout headphones will beat the AirPods to market. The company began taking orders for Powerbeats 3 on Tuesday, with the first deliveries scheduled to arrive next week.

Apple's AirPods, Powerbeats 3, and already-available Beats Solo3 Wireless headphones all feature a new proprietary W1 chip that makes it easier to pair with multiple Apple devices. For example, a pair of AirPods will be able to sync with an iPhone, Apple Watch, iPad and Mac, and instantly switch between the devices depending on what device is being used at that point, thanks to Bluetooth pairing info being shared via iCloud.

The W1 chip also offers much greater range, thanks to its use of Class 1 Bluetooth. Informal testing of the Solo3 Wireless found that they can be used at a distance of up to 400 feet -- much farther than the 33 feet most Bluetooth products support.

As for the AirPods, they carry on the look of Apple's iconic white EarPods, but ditch the cord between them that connects to a device. Instead, the earpieces are both completely wireless and separate, simply resting in a user's ear and offering quick taps or voice commands for control.

In addition to the W1 chip, AirPods also include beam-forming microphones, accelerometers, infrared sensors and more. They also come with a small charging and carrying case that will provide more power on the go.

AppleInsider went hands-on with Apple's AirPods at an event unveiling them in September. Whenever they do ultimately ship, they will retail for $159.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 52
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    NNNNOOOOOooooooooo.......!!!!!
    racerhomiedouglas baileyAMcKinlay21brertechlostkiwijahbladenolamacguyurahara
  • Reply 2 of 52
    No loss to me - whoever designed any version of the AirPods didn't wear earrings - totally useless!
    SpamSandwichfreshmakerstanhope
  • Reply 3 of 52
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member
    "This never would've happened if Steve Jobs were still alive and wore earrings!" 
    Rayz2016mike1chromosbrertechlostkiwientropysairmanchairmanSpamSandwichlorin schultzstanhope
  • Reply 4 of 52
    disappointed I have been checking the apple store app for a month trying to get these  :(
    alcstarheellostkiwijahblade
  • Reply 5 of 52
    "We don't believe in shipping a product before it's ready.....". Haha, nice dig at Samsung.
    nolamacguyairmanchairmankudurezwitsuraharabadmonk
  • Reply 6 of 52
    sog35 said:
    MOTHERF................!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have my $208 in my wallet! 
    WTF Apple. 

Honestly I'm starting to lose interest.

By the time they come out I may not have $159 in my wallet. 

Come on Cook. At least make your Swan Song a success.

Time to start using ApplePay to save your ear-marked AirPods cash.
    mwhitealbegarcjahbladeSpamSandwich
  • Reply 7 of 52
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    AirPod-Gate. Can't wait for the first class action lawsuit. /s
    rezwitsurahara
  • Reply 8 of 52
    sog35 said:
    I bet Apple is double, triple, quadripple, checking that the battery won't explode

I doubt that that's the issue (although I can't think what the issue might be), but yeah THAT would be bad.  I don't want to see someone's exploded head on the evening news (if there is an Apple logo on the screen).
  • Reply 9 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    sog35 said:

WTF Apple. 

See, every post from you proves you're imbalanced. You should really work on your rage issues. You also have the attention span of a 3 yr old. 

Oh, and maybe if you don't have $159 to your name, you shouldn't be spending them on headphones? 

Also, airpods are Cook's "Swan Song"? Are you really starting to believe your own deluded fantasies? Cook isn't going anywhere, no matter how many hundreds of hours of your life you waste ranting for it on the internet.  
    edited October 2016 mwhitetmayzoetmbnolamacguykudurob55waverboyloquiturtyler82urahara
  • Reply 10 of 52
    I've been semi-patiently waiting for these to be available. Only checking every few days for them to drop on the Apple Store. This is disappointing. I'm guessing they're a month out now.
  • Reply 11 of 52
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    I'll say it again ... totally botched the removal of the headphone jack. Essential transition technology should have been ready day one, not a month and half later, and now with no ETA at all ... really inexcusable, especially considering how much time they've known this was going to happen. Probably won't affect sales of the iPhone 7 substantially, but really poor form considering all the other compromises customers who made use of the headphone jack have made since upgrading to the iPhone 7.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 12 of 52
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,063member
    Not a lot of difference here from Apple Watch's "early 2015" announcement. Tim then said that meant "first half." "Available Late October" may mean "we will announce availability in late October." Clever.

• Reply 13 of 52
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    mac_128 said:
    I'll say it again ... totally botched the removal of the headphone jack. Essential transition technology should have been ready day one, not a month and half later, and now with no ETA at all ... really inexcusable, especially considering how much time they've known this was going to happen. Probably won't affect sales of the iPhone 7 substantially, but really poor form considering all the other compromises customers who made use of the headphone jack have made since upgrading to the iPhone 7.

Sorry, what are "all the other compromises" that customers have made? 90% will use the included lightning headphones, the remaining will continue using their bluetooth headphones, or use the included dongle for their standard ones. A tiny, tiny percentage of users will even be inconvenienced in the slightest. Yes, would have been better if this wasn't delayed, but I trust they have a  good reason, and really the "outrage" of consumers is sensationalized on the internet. 
    mike1zoetmblostkiwinolamacguykudurob55
  • Reply 14 of 52
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    sog35 said:
    I bet Apple is double, triple, quadripple, checking that the battery won't explode

this was message to the market they will not put a poor product in people's ears unlike some other nameless companies have been doing.
  • Reply 15 of 52
    knew the audio quality wouldn't get past some exec who cares
  • Reply 16 of 52
    I've been putting off phone calls all week because I wanted to make them from a pair of Airpods >_<
    mwhitelostkiwikuduwelshdoguraharabadmonk
  • Reply 17 of 52
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    I'm guessing battery life rather than audio quality.

lostkiwi
  • Reply 18 of 52
    mwhitemwhite Posts: 287member
    slurpy said:
    sog35 said:

WTF Apple. 

See, every post from you proves you're imbalanced. You should really work on your rage issues. You also have the attention span of a 3 yr old. 

Oh, and maybe if you don't have $159 to your name, you shouldn't be spending them on headphones? 

Also, airpods are Cook's "Swan Song"? Are you really starting to believe your own deluded fantasies? Cook isn't going anywhere, no matter how many hundreds of hours of your life you waste ranting for it on the internet.  
    I agree 100% with all you said...
  • Reply 19 of 52
    dolfendolfen Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    With all the research being done indicating a likely correlation between EMF radiation that's being emitted right next to one's head and various brain cancers I think these Bluetooth AirPods are a bad idea. With most people ignoring the dangers of placing their cell phones with their associated RF radition right up to their ear's constantly, Bluetooth will be adding an addition threat to one's health. And please, don't tell me there's no substantial proof of the dangers.
  • Reply 20 of 52
    It's a major disappointment. The AirPods should have been available along with iPhone 7. 
    mac_128entropysslprescott