Microsoft looks to lure MacBook owners with $650 trade-in discount off Surface devices

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware
Hoping to attract some people who might otherwise buy Apple's updated MacBook Pro, Microsoft is offering up to $650 for people willing to trade in an existing MacBook towards a Surface Book or Surface Pro 4.

The company is accepting a range of MacBook models, with different trade-in values for each. Once a rough value is determined, people must send their MacBook and its accessories to Microsoft, after which they'll receive an email with a discount code for online checkout.

On Wednesday Microsoft launched the Surface Book i7, said to have twice the graphics performance of other Surface Book models, and three times the performance of last year's 13-inch MacBook Pro. The Surface Pro 4 dates back to Oct. 2015.

Excluded from the offer is the Surface Studio, a 28-inch all-in-one desktop that tilts flat. The Surface Pro 4 normally starts at $899, while Surface Books cost at least $1,499. The Surface Book i7, though, is $2,399.

The new MacBook Pro, starting at $1,799, replaces function keys with a multitouch Touch Bar, which also has an embedded Touch ID fingerprint sensor. All Surface devices feature a full multitouch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    jdgazjdgaz Posts: 403member
    Nothing but advertising. Who would ship in their laptop and have to wait for MS to send them a coupon code?
    Deelronwatto_cobrajony0
  • Reply 2 of 40
    Microsoft has one big problem with this bribe and that is Windows 10.
    With the forced updates, TIFKAM/Metro/Modern Interface(sic), all that data slurping and Nanny Microsoft getting in the way and telling you 'sorry Dave I can't let you do that' I'd have to be paid loadsamoney to actually use it for real.
    I'm not just saying this out of spite. I gave W10 almost 6 months of use and I've been using computers for 40+ years. They've even ruined the Server OS.
    Apple has lost the plot with this so called upgrade but MS has gone totally do-lally with their software IMHO.
    I'm going to build a hackintosh rather than buy a new MBP. My 2015 MBP will do the job until it falls to bits or I pop my clogs.
    Just my 2p worth and that is not a lot.
    pte applepalomine
  • Reply 3 of 40
    pscooter63pscooter63 Posts: 1,080member
    Just walk away.
    SpamSandwichDeelronschlackravnorodommagman1979
  • Reply 4 of 40
    schlackschlack Posts: 719member
    Lame. Was offered $260 trade in value for my MBP which I know I could sell on eBay for at least $400. 
    Deelron
  • Reply 5 of 40
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    What a great deal!  Oh, wait, Microsoft?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,053member
    I don't even trade straight up SF4 with my 2015 MBP retina. Get lost, Microsoft.
    schlackmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 40
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,905member
    We all have been through Windows machines and at some point in past moved to Mac. From than most never looked back. It's just liking of Mac vs Window..My only appeal to Apple is keep low end models of Macbook pro affordable to more people..
  • Reply 8 of 40
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Microsoft has one big problem with this bribe and that is Windows 10.
    With the forced updates, TIFKAM/Metro/Modern Interface(sic), all that data slurping and Nanny Microsoft getting in the way and telling you 'sorry Dave I can't let you do that' I'd have to be paid loadsamoney to actually use it for real.
    I'm not just saying this out of spite. I gave W10 almost 6 months of use and I've been using computers for 40+ years. They've even ruined the Server OS.
    Apple has lost the plot with this so called upgrade but MS has gone totally do-lally with their software IMHO.
    I'm going to build a hackintosh rather than buy a new MBP. My 2015 MBP will do the job until it falls to bits or I pop my clogs.
    Just my 2p worth and that is not a lot.
    Thanks for your input on Windows, but I don't think Apple lost the plot.

I do think that each time they make a jump in evolution, they leave some people behind, at least temporarily. I have the feeling many will come around slowly this time, because it will take a while to see how the touch bar is used and productivity rises as software becomes available. That, and the way this form factor is going to feel in your hands. That will win some people over instantly. 
    wreighvenpscooter63magman1979
  • Reply 9 of 40
    Funny. If Apple did some trade-in deal like this, a lot of people would jump saying how terrified and not convinced of themselves Apple must be. If MS is doing this, it's just marketing. 

Apart from this, I'd be curious 
    a) how many people go with this offer, and
    b) how many regret / don't regret this over time. 

brakkenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 40
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member
    No Apple ecosystem, no sale.

Been this way since forever for the majority of Apple users. Microsoft is under the impression that something has changed. Yet again they'll see that nothing has. 
    schlackpscooter63kudubrakkenmagman1979watto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 40
    There's an article in The Information today which claims that insiders (i.e. Apple employees) are saying sales and operations run the show now. It was part of a broader article advocating for Apple to add a technologist to its board. I fear we're back to 2013 when people were floating rumors that the board was looking to replace Cook. In the minds of the tech community and Wall Street others are innovating (or innovating faster) and Apple is not. Whether true or not often times perception becomes reality and right now the perception seems to be Tim Cook is not the guy to move Apple forward. Apple needs to do something to counter that perception.
    adonissmu
  • Reply 12 of 40
    Just the photo of the finger / hand / arm outstretched and pointed at the screen of the Surface Pro tells me everything I need to know about what a BAD idea it is to make a laptop or desktop screen touch sensitive. This idea that it makes sense to have to hold your arm / hand / fingers up, unsupported, while touching a screen - but not too much as to push the screen back, while manipulating what can be very tiny on-screen elements, is just lunacy. There is a reason why Apple has stayed away from touch screens on anything other than hand held devices - because it's a completely idiotic thing. Once we move into the age of non-touch screen manipulation, it may make sense, but today, it just doesn't. And I'm not even getting into the mess of having fingerprint smudges all over a high res screen, that's bigger than a tablet or smartphone (that can be easily wiped with your shirt sleeve).
    pscooter63watto_cobrahydrogeniosenthusiast
  • Reply 13 of 40
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    The producers of Hawaii Five-0 can now replace their fake Bigass Table with Surface Studio.
    They've been using real Chevys for years though.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    Does anyone know how you use the ear pods that came with your iPhone 7 with your new MacBook Pro?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    MS Rant coming up...

I use MS Office for Windows in Parallels because it's feature set is (deliberately) miles ahead of Mac Office. I don't trust the MS Office's auto update, as we have had really major problems with some enforced updates that causes serious issues as it was not possible to roll back. I don't want a monthly upgrade cycle. I want something that works, is secure, and has an interface that doesn't change too often.

I loathe Windows 10. I mean really loathe it. Windows 7 wasn't so bad. It was mostly consistent, whereas Windows 10 does things without telling me, the Start menu has been ridiculously buggy, changes things without asking, and frequently used to become unavailable, requiring a restore from a previous saved build. MS's attitude to customer choice and confidentiality is completely ****ed up. Stupidly, each time I deal with another W10 issue I say next time I will go back to W7. I'm getting used to ignoring the "Stupid user" interface, and going straight to the Control Panel, where I can, but sometimes it's not possible.

I have kicked Office for iOS off my devices because I simply don't use the apps. They have huge frequent updates, and demand login credentials all the time. I use a password manager and very strong passwords, so there is no way I can remember the password for every poxy account. That's partly the point of having a password manager: I'm not going to give out the password because I don't know it. So I have to spend a couple of minutes just to open a document on the spur of the moment.

Don't get me started on OneDrive for Business/Sharepoint. (Shame. Too late...) Frequent failures to sync. I simply couldn't trust it, and much like iCloud, not really cross platform, even with Parallels. So I run my own server with Resilio Sync and WebDav which works fine for  most things on iOS except B****y MS. (Dropbox would be a solution except for privacy & cost)

OneNote is quite good for cross platform, between Win10 and iOS, with Apple pencil support for handwritten notes. But it still keeps logging me out just when I need to take a quick note. And then I have to go through the long process of getting my credentials and pasting username and password into the app. Do they have any idea how annoying this is for someone who cares about security?

Almost everything else is Mac. And I would love to switch everything to Mac. So here I am: making daily comparisons between W10 and MacOS. And there is no comparison of the platforms. Microsoft Office has pro features I need, but in every other respect, Microsoft is not just inferior, it is loathsome.
    pscooter63MacPro1stwatto_cobra
  • Reply 16 of 40
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    Sorry MS. 
    It's ugly as hell when compared to my iPad Air2
    and it's nothing more than a glorified netbook. 
    Good luck with that. 
    brakkenwatto_cobra
  • Reply 17 of 40
    thedbathedba Posts: 762member
    polish said:
    MS Rant coming up...

I use MS Office for Windows in Parallels because it's feature set is (deliberately) miles ahead of Mac Office. I don't trust the MS Office's auto update, as we have had really major problems with some enforced updates that causes serious issues as it was not possible to roll back. I don't want a monthly upgrade cycle. I want something that works, is secure, and has an interface that doesn't change too often.

I really don't understand this paragraph. 
    I too use MS Office for Mac and MS Office for Windows on my company issued Dell.
    I actually found that MS Office on a Mac is much better designed than on Windows. So much better that I actually pay for an Office 365 yearly subscription.
    I also use Outlook on my iPad and iPhone for work. I find that MS has done an admirable job in adjusting their software on Apple's mobile platform. 
    I really don't understand the comment about enforced updates. Please be more specific about them causing serious issues.
    singularityiosenthusiast
  • Reply 18 of 40
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    There is a problem: obnoxious anti-intuitive Windows inside. No, thanks. Not even for free. Nothing like the Mac. Not even iOS.
    pscooter63watto_cobraiosenthusiast
  • Reply 19 of 40
    Message to Microsoft: Stop changing OS interface and make search simple and reliable with no "but's". Cool looking interface does not make good OS ifg it is hard to navigate.
  • Reply 20 of 40
    unplugunplug Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Purely for marketing traffic.
    I predict 0 people taking advantage of this offer, except for thieves who have pilfered Macbooks.
    If Gazelle will give me $780, SellYourMac $850, and eBay's going rate is $1100 for my 15", why would I ever trade-in for $650.
    watto_cobra