Purchase advice: Macbook pro 15"or Macbook pro 13" + Hackintosh desktop computer

Posted:
in General Discussion
Hi,

First, sorry of my english is not so good. I need some help to choose the best option.

Reasons: I have a Macbook pro 15"of Mid 2010 and it works well(I changed RAM to 8gb) but sometimes is slow.
Needs: I use Mac for editing photography, design at photoshop, illustrator and for editing video with Premiere and After Effects. Of course, to download archives and a high daily use.
Daily use: I need to have a notebook because I move to my clients offices in the mornings, although on the afternoon I usually stay in home.

I will buy a monitor of 21" for home, I have some harddisks and after buy one of this two options:

1. Buy a high end Macbook pro 15", with:
  • 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 processor, Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz
  • 16GB 2133MHz memory
  • 512GB PCIe-based SSD
  • Radeon Pro 450 with 2GB memory
  • Backlit Keyboard (English) & User's Guide
  • Four Thunderbolt 3 ports
  • Touch Bar and Touch ID
2- Buy first a Macbook pro 13", with this options:
  • Procesador Intel Core i5 de doble núcleo a 2,9 GHz (Turbo Boost de hasta 3,3 GHz)
  • 8 GB de memoria a 2.133 MHz
  • SSD PCIe de 256 GB
  • Intel Iris Graphics 550
  • Teclado retroiluminado (español) y manual del usuario (español)
  • Cuatro puertos Thunderbolt 3
  • Touch Bar y Touch ID
and some time later(maybe a year or not), when the Macbook pro 13" dont cover my needs, buy a Hackintosh.

Note 1: The hakintosh is more powerful than the mac book pro 15" above.
Note 2: Both options have the same prices, maybe the option of two computer is a little more expensive.

So, I am thinking in the advantage of movility and always have a powerful equipment for the next 5-6 years on my shoulders, or have two computer, one for movility (size and weight lower) but not so powerful and other as a base in home with a powerful computer I could update in the future.

Thanks guys.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    Akaki said:
    Reasons: I have a Macbook pro 15"of Mid 2010 and it works well(I changed RAM to 8gb) but sometimes is slow.
    Needs: I use Mac for editing photography, design at photoshop, illustrator and for editing video with Premiere and After Effects.

So, I am thinking in the advantage of movility and always have a powerful equipment for the next 5-6 years on my shoulders, or have two computer, one for movility (size and weight lower) but not so powerful and other as a base in home with a powerful computer I could update in the future.
    I'd say go for the 15" for those apps. 2x the processing power, 16GB RAM and the extra screen size helps. I don't think you'll need a hackintosh, the MBP is powerful enough and even if you felt the need for more powerful GPUs, they'll double again in 2-3 years so just get the new 15" MBP then.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    Ok, thanks Marvin, anyway, I hope that if I buy a MBP 15" it could be powerful enough to using 5 years, at least. Now it is so expensive.

Thanks!
  • Reply 3 of 4
    VSzulcVSzulc Posts: 32unconfirmed, member
    I'd say go for the Hackintosh + 13 inch MBP.

Nothing really justifies the price premium between the 13 and 15 inch MBP. Especially since the hardware is mediocre, compared to what will be available in the near future. (Kaby Lake CPUs, much faster graphics. 32 GB DDR4 RAM. The graphics in the 15 inch MBP are ho hum at best...)

Going for the 13 inch and Hackintosh will get you a swell, really mobile laptop plus a beast of a stationary computer that you can upgrade in the future as well.

Considering the price difference, you'll easily get a stationary that's at least twice as fast as the 15 inch MBP, with equal or twice as much storage, and twice as much RAM. And you can upgrade it for a few hundred dollars. 

With the 15 inch MBP, you'll be locked at the same performance for 5 years.

Plus: Hackintoshes are really easy to build these days. You can even get them more or less complete, and don't need to install a lot of hardware yourself.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    Thank you! Its true, probably is the best option, I am thinking on it yet!