Intel briefly reveals data on potential 2017 iMac, Mac Pro Kaby Lake processors

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 68
    The most important thing to keep in mind is that the Mac Pro is a very forward-looking design. Apple isn't in a hurry here. They are already way out ahead. Some might say too far. Regardless, these new processor architectures and platforms require new approaches to the increasing heat -- that is what the Mac Pro is all about. In addition, USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 (and beyond) mean the "workstation" is changing, moving toward the more flexible, modular world exemplified by the current Mac Pro.

People often just assume that the direction apple takes is "the future". The cube was once the future too, but it didn't mean Apple was "way out ahead"
    Like with the cube, Apple's direction has been tangential with the Late 2013 Mac Pro. They are not "way out ahead - the rest of the workstation industry will not decide that non upgradeable appliance workstations which look cute - are the future.

Rather than being way out ahead, I'd argue that when it comes to workstations Apple are pulled over in a layby somewhere, curling their hair and admiring how pretty they are in the mirror.

edited January 2017 williamlondondysamoria
  • Reply 62 of 68
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    pofo said:
    I vaguely recall pschiller saying very few people used the pcie slots.
    Very few people who responded to whatever poll they took (if they even took one), you mean.
    If an app crashes, and you've selected "send data to Apple" during OS setup, then Apple knows EXACTLY who uses PCI cards, and what's in them.
    Isn't there also a call back to Apple's servers when your system detects new PCIe hardware to check if any system updates are needed?
  • Reply 63 of 68
    Tedford said:
    The most important thing to keep in mind is that the Mac Pro is a very forward-looking design. Apple isn't in a hurry here. They are already way out ahead. Some might say too far. Regardless, these new processor architectures and platforms require new approaches to the increasing heat -- that is what the Mac Pro is all about. In addition, USB 3.1 and Thunderbolt 3 (and beyond) mean the "workstation" is changing, moving toward the more flexible, modular world exemplified by the current Mac Pro.

People often just assume that the direction apple takes is "the future". The cube was once the future too, but it didn't mean Apple was "way out ahead"
    Like with the cube, Apple's direction has been tangential with the Late 2013 Mac Pro. They are not "way out ahead - the rest of the workstation industry will not decide that non upgradeable appliance workstations which look cute - are the future.

Rather than being way out ahead, I'd argue that when it comes to workstations Apple are pulled over in a layby somewhere, curling their hair and admiring how pretty they are in the mirror.

The Cube was aimed at the middle of the performance market, basically a headless iMac SE (including the Harmon-Kardon speakers), and it never had a chance. There were much more powerful and flexible PowerMac G4s for the "Mac Pro" crowd, with the lack of PCI as a non-starter, and original iMac itself was still in its heyday. It was a bridge too far for Jony Ive, nothing more.

The thing you're missing, which was my point, is about Thunderbolt. Initially called "Light Peak," it is the product of a (then) wholly new development in the PC industry -- Apple being on the same page as Intel. DED did a great job in 2009 on this site of explaining what had led to the partnership and what it would bring: Why Apple is betting on Light Peak with Intel.

USB and the PC industry as a whole is already moving toward the promise of Thunderbolt and the basic idea behind the Mac Pro. Need something you can only get in a PCIe card? No problem, here's a Thunderbolt 3 or USB 3.1 solution for you, let alone the next generation of these specifications. Apple's always going to lose customers to those who don't want custom GPUs with proprietary sockets and the like. But even the machines for those people are heading in the same direction. The era of the big, hot, underperforming box with everything stuffed inside of it will soon be over. Instead, you'll have enclosures designed for consistent speed and reliable performance, with everything else outside of them. It will all fit together neatly and most importantly, it will work. Yes, we're still a few years away, maybe more. But it's happening.
  • Reply 64 of 68
    I said:
    The Cube was aimed at the middle of the performance market, basically a headless iMac SE (including the Harmon-Kardon speakers), and it never had a chance. There were much more powerful and flexible PowerMac G4s for the "Mac Pro" crowd ... and the original iMac itself was still in its heyday. It was a bridge too far for Jony Ive, nothing more.
    Rereading that, it's maybe a little unfair -- the Cube was a G4, while the iMacs were G3s. So calling it a "headless iMac SE" is not quite right. The G4 iMac didn't debut until two years later, with a new form factor. But it's still true that the Cube was positioned between the iMac and the "Mac Pro." And now it occurs to me that the Cube still exists -- in the form of the Mac mini. Positioned between the iMac and the Mac Pro, but with the lesson of the Cube learned -- it's a headless iMac, not a compact Mac Pro.
    edited January 2017
  • Reply 65 of 68
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Intel Xeon Gold 6150 for new Mac Pro 2017?

• Reply 66 of 68
    appex said:
    Intel Xeon Gold 6150 for new Mac Pro 2017?

Unfortunately, probably not real. The source of that information is Canard PC -- they have a whole narrative about Intel's management being in total disarray and AMD's development of Ryzen being led by a genius who can do no wrong. My guess is that they are right in a general sense about the guy AMD hired, but they are talking out their asses when it comes to Intel.

I'd say the chance of them getting leaked data on upcoming high-end Skylake Xeons is near zero. More likely they are a victim of a hoax, or the perpetrators themselves.

IF it is a real leak, then it is probably "Basin Falls" and yes it could end up in the Mac Pro. Doubtful that it is anything to do with Purley.
    edited February 2017
  • Reply 67 of 68
    Oh boy this would happen to me.
    So awesome news: I got approved for the Barclay Card at Apple to purchase my first brand new iMac fully loaded! (Graphic Designer / Videographer / Editor) You can imagine my personal frustration once I realized there are solid rumors of a March 2017 release window for the new iMacs! So my dilemma is:
    Got approved on March 1.
    Have a 30 day window to make a purchase to qualify for the financing option.
    IF the new models are announced, is it an immediate release or do we have to wait a few weeks for the new models to drop?
    I'm really hoping they get announced and released before the end of the month so I may get the latest and greatest model instead of dropping $$$ on a two year old model.

Thoughts? :)
  • Reply 68 of 68
    Oh boy this would happen to me.
    So awesome news: I got approved for the Barclay Card at Apple to purchase my first brand new iMac fully loaded! (Graphic Designer / Videographer / Editor) You can imagine my personal frustration once I realized there are solid rumors of a March 2017 release window for the new iMacs! So my dilemma is:
    Got approved on March 1.
    Have a 30 day window to make a purchase to qualify for the financing option.
    IF the new models are announced, is it an immediate release or do we have to wait a few weeks for the new models to drop?
    I'm really hoping they get announced and released before the end of the month so I may get the latest and greatest model instead of dropping $$$ on a two year old model.

Thoughts? :)
    Well, over the past five years (i.e., years planned under Tim Cook) they've done "Keynote" special events like clockwork (sometimes skipping one) in March, June (WWDC), September, and October. So if it isn't part of the March press event this year, then June is the next possibility. They could always break the pattern with a dedicated event, but it would be a first. Of course, the other possibility is a low-key refresh with no hoopla, but that seems unlikely -- skipping Kaby Lake seems just as likely. The next iMac will certainly be TB3/USB-C, and there's also the possibility of an optional Touch Bar keyboard. So yeah, Keynote-worthy. If I were a betting man, I'd say October, and I'd probably be wrong.

The good news is that if they do introduce it, past history says it's very likely to be available for order (if not ship) immediately.

The current Skylake 5K iMac is a wondrous, ground-breaking computer. Buying a late build of it is not a bad idea, in any universe...
    edited March 2017