Google deploys giant update for iOS Gmail app with new design, improved speed

Posted:
in iPhone
Google has unveiled a completely redesigned Gmail for iOS app, adding support for Gmail's "undo send" feature, and vast improvements to search.

The app, in addition to implementing the new Google design elements that it introduced about two years ago has a five-second "undo send" implementation, similar to the up-to 30 second delay allowable through web mail.

Search is significantly faster as well. In initial AppleInsider tests of the application, a multi-term search in a 55,000 email archive returned results nearly instantly on a fast wi-fi connection, rather than taking up to 11 seconds to complete the search on an older version of the Gmail app.

Other aspects of the mail app have been improved, leading to faster app utility overall, as well as faster scrolling, and much faster notification from Gmail than before. In the previous versions, testing revealed a user notification being sent to the user about 18 seconds after mail receipt, with the new version sending the new mail notification also nearly instantaneously.

Google also notes that spelling suggestions have been added, and users can now swipe on an email to archive or delete an email.

The Gmail application is free, requires iOS 8 or newer, and is a 197 MB download.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    What a piece of crap this update is for me.  I get 500 or more spam messages, or unwanted messages, in my inbox each day.  My methodology has been to select all but a handful of desirable email messages on my iPhone and then to delete all of them.  With this new update I now have to pen each crappy email to delete.  Thanks Google fopr making my workday much worse.
    watto_cobraverydisappointed
  • Reply 2 of 17
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    You don't have a folder where promotional mail goes? I don't ever see any spam or ads unless I open the "Promotions" folder. But with that out of the way Outlook might be a better mail app for you on iOS anyway. 
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 3 of 17
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    What a piece of crap this update is for me.  I get 500 or more spam messages, or unwanted messages, in my inbox each day.  My methodology has been to select all but a handful of desirable email messages on my iPhone and then to delete all of them.  With this new update I now have to pen each crappy email to delete.  Thanks Google fopr making my workday much worse.

If you've been sending unfiltered spam to your Trash instead of the Spam/Junk folder, then your account is not getting the training that it needs to recognize future spam. You need to train it by marking messages as spam that are. And likewise for false-positives — if a good message goes to the Spam, move it to the Inbox. Both of those actions train your account.

As for seeing all messages in the Inbox, I've seen other reports of people seeing that, too. It seems that it's not showing you just "Inbox"-labeled messages, but messages from the "All Mail" folder? Might just need a tweak of your settings.
    edited November 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 4 of 17
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    I've almost never seen spam outside the spam folder.

As for the app, I think it's a piece of crap that doesn't belong on iOS. I hope this new version is more usable.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 17
    WildKyotiWildKyoti Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Where is the "mark as unread" feature? I used that ALL the time to quickly read an email when I'm on the go, then mark it as unread so I don't forget to respond to it later on. This is very important to me  
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 6 of 17
    Welsh PiperWelsh Piper Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Echoing GLBorchert's comment above. The new UI no longer allows you to select multiple emails for labeling, archiving, marking as spam, or deleting - you now have to open each email individually. Even swiping an email left or right is useless: *both* actions will archive the email (delete is not an option), and archiving is pointless without first labeling the message. While I think Gmail is an excellent email platform, this app does less than the previous version and comes off as a fail.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    Melli11Melli11 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Don't like it! The update changed the amount of addresses available, & makes it harder to flip between addresses. And I too frequently used the mark as unread feature. 
  • Reply 8 of 17
    HORRIBLE update! Between the seven accounts I have, I get copied on a LOT of stuff so it's not spam per se (nor can I use the filter option). The removal of the "Mark as Unread" option as well as all the bulk actions makes managing my email so much harder and time consuming. I will have to look at other options because I cannot function in a timely manner with this app!
  • Reply 9 of 17
    HHH3HHH3 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Agreed, I too receive a LOT of mail I need to be aware of but not actually read - removing the bulk select feature effectively makes the app useless to me. I don't need colorful icons and seconds-faster search, I need basic functionality.
  • Reply 10 of 17
    MartiD5MartiD5 Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    This new update looks like something for a preschooler. I do not new colorful icons I need my mail. I need to be able to read, delete,save and not have to look at promotions unless I choose to. Luckily it only updated on 1 of my devices, so the others are usable. Must try harder google!
  • Reply 11 of 17
    JonathanPDXJonathanPDX Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Even swiping an email left or right is useless: *both* actions will archive the email (delete is not an option)...
    Actually, you can tell Gmail to Delete instead of Archive
    From the Inbox, touch the hamburger menu in the upper left corner
    Scroll to the bottom and select Settings
    Touch the Gmail account to edit
    Select: "When removing messages, I prefer to..."
    Choose "Move to trash"
    Back out to your inbox
    edited November 2016
  • Reply 12 of 17

If you've been sending unfiltered spam to your Trash instead of the Spam/Junk folder, then your account is not getting the training that it needs to recognize future spam. You need to train it by marking messages as spam that are. And likewise for false-positives — if a good message goes to the Spam, move it to the Inbox. Both of those actions train your account.

As for seeing all messages in the Inbox, I've seen other reports of people seeing that, too. It seems that it's not showing you just "Inbox"-labeled messages, but messages from the "All Mail" folder? Might just need a tweak of your settings.
    Correct. It takes some time and work in the beginning, but I get very little spam from Gmail. Yahoo mail on the other hand... I get nothing BUT spam.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    BookalakaBookalaka Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I agree with the comment this looks like it's designed for preschoolers don't like this at all. -
    My issue is in the iPhone when forwarding I am not able to edit the previous email? Can only select all? When trying to select a sentence or use the delete does not allow me. I'm very disappointed in this upgrade makes me not want to continue with gmail.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    Hi I only registered to tell everybody that this update is a piece of crap!! Design looks like an android
     Functionality is terrible 
    you can't  select multiple messages!!! Joke!!?
     I receive attachments all the time and previously I could open them all without any problem but with this update almost half the time  it says something went wrong for sorry ....  how can I go back easily to the previous version ?? Google you are a huge disappointment on this update I don't know who conducted this but that person should be fired I'm looking for for an alternative app!! Used to love gmail app for iPhone. Now it's over !!!!  The only pro with this update was he undo send button ... 
  • Reply 15 of 17
     Oh and by the way to everybody who's out there when you update an app what you expect to get a better app with the same functionality not to get a piece of crap preschool lookalike app !!!!!!!!!! 
  • Reply 16 of 17
    Help!

i like my email setup to have only my unread email show. When I click on unread emails they do show up first but then other emails from other folders show up underneath. I only want my unread to show. 
  • Reply 17 of 17
    LVonLVon Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    The ability to add a sender to Gmail contacts from within the message seems to have gone away. I cannot figure out how to add new contacts. I also do not like the colors and look. Bad upgrade! I wish I could get the old version back.